Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Akrapovic Slip on, worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:21 PM
everydaygt3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 Akrapovic Slip on, worth getting?

I've been debating whether or not to get the Akrapovic GT3 Slipon bypass for the 991.2 GT3. I currently have the Sharkwerks bypass and I'll be honest, it sounds great. I also am able to pass 90dB days at Laguna Seca with only a GPS valve controller and not having to install the directional tailpipes.

My question is, would anyone consider the Akrapovic bypass if you already have the Sharkwerks Bypass? The only main issue is Laguna Seca trackdays.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,243 Posts

Originally Posted by everydaygt3
I've been debating whether or not to get the Akrapovic GT3 Slipon bypass for the 991.2 GT3. I currently have the Sharkwerks bypass and I'll be honest, it sounds great. I also am able to pass 90dB days at Laguna Seca with only a GPS valve controller and not having to install the directional tailpipes.

My question is, would anyone consider the Akrapovic bypass if you already have the Sharkwerks Bypass? The only main issue is Laguna Seca trackdays.

Thanks in advanced.
you mean this: https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104

and this: https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104

Apart from the bragging rights of having Akrapovic on your car, I can see no reason to drop circa $4k+ on this when you have SW or any other bypass for that matter!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Not unless you just like spending money for just the fun of it

I would never spend that on a Bypass.

To each their own- Some love the Akra stuff but for something that will not be hanging on my wall but under my car I do not see the rational behind it
Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Not unless you just like spending money for just the fun of it

I would never spend that on a Bypass.

To each their own- Some love the Akra stuff but for something that will not be hanging on my wall but under my car I do not see the rational behind it
my sentiments exactly!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Maybe I'm being a prude, but I actually like the stock exhaust and find no reason to change it; you won't even notice the HP gains and you could get additional drone at lower RPMs (don't quote me on that though). All in all, I think the stock exhaust is just fine. At the very most, maybe I'd change the tips for a different look.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I love Akrapovic

hoping they come out with a sport cup for 991 as I will put it on both cars

I have it on 997.2 RS,,,,zero drone

personally i think center bypass is pointless besides making noise....getting rid of the side mufflers (heat) is the true benefit of an exhaust upgrade
Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 56 Posts

The Akra Slip On is louder than stock, but not as loud as some other bypasses and has a nicer exhaust note as compared to most that I have heard.

Made by a respected oem supplier, this is not a value play, but rather a premium titanium alternative to some of the other products out on the market.

You can spend half as much money on a quality stainless steel bypass and re-use the factory tips with absolutely no regrets as I did on my last GT3.

That said, I have no regrets installing this system on my new GT3 and would not change it for anything else based on my satisfaction with the product.

I also have an Akra titanium race exhaust on my Ducati and like the GT3 it adds significantly to my enjoyment of that bike every single time I take it out.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Maybe I'm being a prude, but I actually like the stock exhaust and find no reason to change it; you won't even notice the HP gains and you could get additional drone at lower RPMs (don't quote me on that though). All in all, I think the stock exhaust is just fine. At the very most, maybe I'd change the tips for a different look.
The stock exhaust is perfect so you in good shape. For those that want to take volume fronm a 7 to a 9 somr bypasses will achieve that goal w/o going too crazy
Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

$4k for a bypass?. You need your head examined as you must hate your money.

.2 3RS stock exhaust is great and a beautiful titanium piece.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 AM
Johisco
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I love Akrapovic

hoping they come out with a sport cup for 991 as I will put it on both cars

I have it on 997.2 RS,,,,zero drone

personally i think center bypass is pointless besides making noise....getting rid of the side mufflers (heat) is the true benefit of an exhaust upgrade
If you add this as well you get rid of sides and end up with Akra titanium from cats and back so probably at least 40 lb save

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104
Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

I find the stock exhaust on my touring... underwhelming if I’m honest. When compared to my GT4 (stock)... it simply does not come close (fire suit on). I’m hoping it’s because the car is new (14k km on GT4). I have the Akra slip on (purchased before the car came) but haven’t put it on yet as I want to make a good comparison after the swap. I know there are cheaper systems, but I’m happy with my decision, apart from the obvious build quality, I’m blown away by the (lack of) weight.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:00 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Einmalig
The Akra Slip On is louder than stock, but not as loud as some other bypasses and has a nicer exhaust note as compared to most that I have heard.

Made by a respected oem supplier, this is not a value play, but rather a premium titanium alternative to some of the other products out on the market.

You can spend half as much money on a quality stainless steel bypass and re-use the factory tips with absolutely no regrets as I did on my last GT3.

That said, I have no regrets installing this system on my new GT3 and would not change it for anything else based on my satisfaction with the product.

I also have an Akra titanium race exhaust on my Ducati and like the GT3 it adds significantly to my enjoyment of that bike every single time I take it out.
Can you elaborate on the loudness and tone? I had a GMG on my 991.1 GT3, and it sounded great with a nice deep tone, but was very loud. I don't think the Sharkwerks sounds as good.

I'm looking for something that sounds good (no drone, not tinny and hollow sounding) but isn't as loud as the GMG, and I'm wondering if the Akra might be worth it despite the higher price. I have a full Akrapovic system on my 991.2 GTS, and I'm very happy with how that sounds. I've seen very little feedback on the GT3 system, however.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:02 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Johisco
If you add this as well you get rid of sides and end up with Akra titanium from cats and back so probably at least 40 lb save

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...48&yearId=5104
that is most likely why I will do go RS

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...49&yearId=5105

there is no pic of this yet, but I think it’s a new rear muffler,...sports cup
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Berjar
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 139 Posts

Just put the AK bypass on my car. I used stock tips so it was $2,200 and I installed it myself. It was perfect for me. Sigificantly louder above 4,000 rpm and zero drone below. The sound is also a little more F1 style. Very even pulse pitch. I think I can feel the 15ft lbs of tourque increase

but I would be the first to admit it may just be because of the sound and placibo effect. I also love the construction quality and for a car of this price I think it is deserved. Took me 3 hours to install and I left the bumper on.

Last edited by Berjar; 10-24-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:07 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry for ignorance - AP = Akrapovic, I assume?

When you say zero drone - did you try your OEM setup with valves disconnected? If so - did you experience drone in lower revs?

Quick Reply: GT3 Akrapovic Slip on, worth getting?