Nevada registration

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:58 AM
thegoat
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
pretty cool, I'll ad NV to TX and FL as my retirement state ideas list
If you don't want humidity and want easy access to skiing, then the choice is made for you.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:46 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,806 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
If you don't want humidity and want easy access to skiing, then the choice is made for you.
And close proximity to CA with no hurricanes or tornadoes.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:54 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the new federal tax laws, State And Local Taxes (SALT) deductions are limited to $10K. If my preliminary calculation holds, it looks like I will be using the new standard deduction of $24K for married couples instead of itemizing for the first time in 30+ years.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:32 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
With the new federal tax laws, State And Local Taxes (SALT) deductions are limited to $10K. If my preliminary calculation holds, it looks like I will be using the new standard deduction of $24K for married couples instead of itemizing for the first time in 30+ years.
Correct
Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 AM
thegoat
Instructor

Does the trade in sales tax credit only apply when trading in a car to a dealer?

What happens if I private party sell my car, take the plates from it and use on a new vehicle purchase? Would the DMV give me trade in credit? I feel like this happened randomly a long time ago for me when I sold a used car and bought a new car within 30 days of each other, but I may be mistaken as it is a foggy recollection. I know they give you credit for the cancelled remainder registration, but this is different question.

Trying to find a way to cut that sales tax bill on the incoming 2RS, especially if I'm going to sell my 3RS.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GUESS would be no. I suggest calling DMV NV at (775) 684-4830. If they do allow what you suggest, please post it here.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 PM
Blazed
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the trade in sales tax credit only apply when trading in a car to a dealer?

What happens if I private party sell my car, take the plates from it and use on a new vehicle purchase? Would the DMV give me trade in credit? I feel like this happened randomly a long time ago for me when I sold a used car and bought a new car within 30 days of each other, but I may be mistaken as it is a foggy recollection. I know they give you credit for the cancelled remainder registration, but this is different question.

Trying to find a way to cut that sales tax bill on the incoming 2RS, especially if I'm going to sell my 3RS.
There's no tax credit in that situation, only when traded to a dealer. I "sold" my '18 PTS GT3 in early Nov. to an out of state dealer but was able to get them to coordinate with my local dealer so I could get "pre-trade" tax credit on the incoming 3RS even though the car wasn't scheduled to arrive for another three months. This saved me close to $20k on the 3RS by doing it this way. The only caveat to pre-trade tax credit is that your dealership must hold on to all of your trade equity until the new car arrives in order for it to be considered a trade. In other words, if you demand they cash you out the trade equity since you don't want them holding your $200k+ for 2-3 months until the new car arrives, you forfeit all available credit because at that point it's technically not a trade, it's just you selling your car.

btw I'm in Reno also, when you get your 2RS I'd love to check it out on one of the local club drives or C&C.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 PM
thegoat
Instructor

Did you do the transaction through Bill Pearce here in town?

The car is supposed to arrive on the 8th.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,806 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazed
There's no tax credit in that situation, only when traded to a dealer. I "sold" my '18 PTS GT3 in early Nov. to an out of state dealer but was able to get them to coordinate with my local dealer so I could get "pre-trade" tax credit on the incoming 3RS even though the car wasn't scheduled to arrive for another three months. This saved me close to $20k on the 3RS by doing it this way. The only caveat to pre-trade tax credit is that your dealership must hold on to all of your trade equity until the new car arrives in order for it to be considered a trade. In other words, if you demand they cash you out the trade equity since you don't want them holding your $200k+ for 2-3 months until the new car arrives, you forfeit all available credit because at that point it's technically not a trade, it's just you selling your car.

btw I'm in Reno also, when you get your 2RS I'd love to check it out on one of the local club drives or C&C.
So your local deal got the cash proceeds from the sale of your GT3 from the dealer that bought it and held on to it until you bought the RS? Sounds sorta like a 1031 exchange for cars. haha

What happens if I buy a new car from an out of state dealer and trade a car in to them but register the car in NV, do I still get the sales tax credit? Or does the dealer that I purchase the new car from has to be a dealer located in NV?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:32 AM
Blazed
Advanced

^Yes they receive the sale proceeds but it’s applied as trade equity for me. That’s how it qualifies for tax credit. If I cash out my trade equity when they receive it and then put it towards the new car months later it’s just a new retail sale with no trade and thus I’d pay full sales tax on the new transaction. And to qualify I believe the dealer needs to be in NV.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:39 AM
Blazed
Advanced

Did you do the transaction through Bill Pearce here in town?

The car is supposed to arrive on the 8th.
Yes Bill Pearce, my ETA is also 2/8 so our cars will most likely be on the same transport truck. They’re currently being processed at the Port of Benicia so we’re getting very close!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:57 PM
thegoat
Instructor

My car arrived this morning! That means yours is probably there too. I'm going to swing by in a few hours to take an early peek.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Blazed
Advanced

My car arrived this morning! That means yours is probably there too. I'm going to swing by in a few hours to take an early peek.

funny you say that, I just got the email and will heading in shortly to take a quick peek!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 PM
thegoat
Instructor

So, I got my paperwork to register my 2RS from the dealer and they put in the final MSRP rather than the base MSRP. I just talked to the DMV to see if they would adjust it and they said talk to the dealer. Left a VM with the dealer. I'm certain this will be a headache.

Who did you talk to at the DMV that was able to comprehend the issue?

Quick Reply: Nevada registration