Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS owners: how different is this car to the 991.1 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts
Question 991.2 GT3 RS owners: how different is this car to the 991.1 GT3 RS

I had the chance to compare my 991.1 GT3 RS to a 991.2 GT3 RS side by side.

We know most of the differences from repetitive media releases, Mr. Preuninger interviews and some expert drivers: motor, PDK tune, super stiff springs and matching shocks, optional carbon drop links/anti-sway bars/roof, optional Mg wheels, another 500rpm, different bumpers, new splitter and rear wing, tail lights, the better PCM, monoballs in some suspension arms, etc.

Here are the things I noticed:

1) The front side markers have a deeper bracket and wider retainer spring. This may be Porsche's solution to the side markers popping out on lowered cars, or cars driven on bumpy tracks.

2) My 991.1 GT3 RS rear wing has 2 adjustments, the 991.2 GT3 RS rear wing seems to have 3 or 4 adjustments ( I was not allowed to remove the bolts to inspect).

3) The tread pattern on the Michelin N2 tires is identical to my N0 tires, but my durometer read softer rubber in the N2. This might be due to my now 3 years old tires, or definitely Michelin put a softer compound on the N2.

...any other differences worth mentioning?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

None other than the biggest difference....your own seat of the pants assessment and feel as to the difference from behind the wheel.
Differences are absolutely noticeable from a drivers standpoint. At least as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

At Smokies GT last month I had some seat time side by side on the same great stretch of the Cherahoula Skyway in Matt’s .1 RS and Ryan’s .2 RS. Both had different exhaust upgrades / deletes.

While Matt’s car was of course the cleanest ( ), both were epic and despite very spirited driving on the same great roads, I had a hard time feeling much difference. And what differences if any I noticed were hard for me to say which I preferred. Certainly also differences in various aftermarket upgrades like exhaust systems, headers, etc., can make a bigger difference in how a .1 RS drives and sounds than the difference between a stock .1 v .2 RS.

Long story short, I can’t see why anyone with a nice .1 RS spec’s how they like would pay good money to upgrade. By same token, anyone looking to get into an RS for first time would probably do well to save themselves $50K plus and buy a lightly used .1 RS CPO in a spec they like.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 414 Posts

PDK tune is the biggest difference..
Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lapis
At Smokies GT last month I had some seat time side by side on the same great stretch of the Cherahoula Skyway in Matt’s .1 RS and Ryan’s .2 RS. Both had different exhaust upgrades / deletes.

While Matt’s car was of course the cleanest ( ), both were epic and despite very spirited driving on the same great roads, I had a hard time feeling much difference. And what differences if any I noticed were hard for me to say which I preferred. Certainly also differences in various aftermarket upgrades like exhaust systems, headers, etc., can make a bigger difference in how a .1 RS drives and sounds than the difference between a stock .1 v .2 RS.

Long story short, I can’t see why anyone with a nice .1 RS spec’s how they like would pay good money to upgrade. By same token, anyone looking to get into an RS for first time would probably do well to save themselves $50K plus and buy a lightly used .1 RS CPO in a spec they like.
Interesting since Matt himself noted noticeable differences vis a vis .2. Matt is also running full Dundon headers and the .2 just had side delete if I recall which is not a major power adder.

I agree with Matt’s assessment which is pretty much on par with my own, i.e a noticeably improved car all around (some areas more noticeable than others) in suspension, sound, engine, power, aero, PDK and aesthetics. Whether it’s worth switching is an individual decision.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Engine feels more torque lower down, PDK mapping seems more aggressive, front end grip feels better. Need i go on? My 991.1 RS was previously the best car I’ve owned, hated trading it in. However After nearly 2000 miles on Euro Delivery in Alps and 2 days on track at Spa, the .2 is better. I have a new favorite.

However, at current prices with stupid ADMs, i would highly recommend anyone to pick up a .1 RS CPO. It’s an amazing car, worth the money. If forced to choose a CPO .1 vs an ADM 2, I would choose the .1; but it still doesn’t change The fact that .2 is just better. Such is progress. It doesn’t mean the .1 isn’t still miraculous.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waxer

Interesting since Matt himself noted noticeable differences vis a vis .2. Matt is also running full Dundon headers and the .2 just had side delete if I recall which is not a major power adder.

I agree with Matt’s assessment which is pretty much on par with my own, i.e a noticeably improved car all around (some areas more noticeable than others) in suspension, sound, engine, power, aero, PDK and aesthetics. Whether it’s worth switching is an individual decision.
I ain’t saying there’s no difference, just not a night and day difference for an average driver like me who is accustomed to driving a (non-RS) .1 GT3, a .2 GT3 Touring, a GT4, and a 981 Spyder.

Now if you are accustomed to driving a .1 RS, like Matt, likely you’ll be more in tune to the subtle differences. Likewise, a more experienced higher skilled driver, like Kelly who also tried the same back to back test as me, immediately talked about how much better the .2 RS was.

Guess my point is: I’m willing to venture most prospective .2 RS buyers either aren’t such seasoned racecar drivers or they don’t already have a .1 RS (that is, maybe they’ve never owned an RS, like me, or maybe they’re upgrading from a 997 RS). For those folks, myself included, the difference between what we’re used to and a 991.1 RS is a lot bigger than the incremental difference from that to the .2 RS.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Does either noticeably sound better?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 80p
Does either noticeably sound better?
“sounds better” is subjective. .2 motor somewhat lower pitched. Seemed to me though there is more of a difference in sound between my .1 GT3 and .2 GT3 Touring (both stock) than between .1 and .2 RS I drove (Matt’s and Ryan’s, both of which had different exhaust and header upgrades / deletes. So my experience in those cars isn’t really a good comparison re: Sound for stock RS’s.

Having said that, I preferred the sound of Matt’s .1 RS.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

.2RS Wing is taller but narrower, in Addison the being more adjustable, I just wonder if the max angle has increased.

Yes, better tires and diffuser but that bolts right on .1RS

More front downforce because better lip and NACA ducts. Better brake cooling front NACA ducts and extra ducts in the rear, better shock valving and spring rates for most tracks.

Better PDK and RWS tuning, gorilla glass, apple car play for Waze.

And new better motor.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lapis

I ain’t saying there’s no difference, just not a night and day difference for an average driver like me who is accustomed to driving a (non-RS) .1 GT3, a .2 GT3 Touring, a GT4, and a 981 Spyder.

Now if you are accustomed to driving a .1 RS, like Matt, likely you’ll be more in tune to the subtle differences. Likewise, a more experienced higher skilled driver, like Kelly who also tried the same back to back test as me, immediately talked about how much better the .2 RS was.

Guess my point is: I’m willing to venture most prospective .2 RS buyers either aren’t such seasoned racecar drivers or they don’t already have a .1 RS (that is, maybe they’ve never owned an RS, like me, or maybe they’re upgrading from a 997 RS). For those folks, myself included, the difference between what we’re used to and a 991.1 RS is a lot bigger than the incremental difference from that to the .2 RS.
Maybe this might best describe the differences.

When you step step from a .1RS to the .2RS your not going to drop your jaw and say “holy chit ..this is a totally different car!”

Your going smile and say “yep can definitely notice a difference, nice!”

It it pulls a little harder, sounds a little different and a little louder stock, definitely stiffer and more “crisp” in response suspension wise, steering feels a little lighter, PDK is definitely faster and pronounced in sound both down and up shifts. Sounds like a sequential to me. It is an improved car and it’s noticeable.

On track for the average driver it won’t amount to much. For someone who can wheel a car it’s good for 1 to 2 seconds a lap better.

For the street the significance of the differences depends on you and what makes you happy. The .1 RS is an awesome car. The .2 RS turns up the RS awesomeness noticeably in a number of ways. How much the difference is worth is up to you.

.1 RS are still selling for above msrp I think in many cases and I would venture to say .2RSs will always fetch more.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving impressions comparison from another thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/1089858-2gt3rs-driving-impressions-vs-1gt3rs-14.html#post15329085
Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

my on road impressions:

pdk snappier
steering more reactive
a little more torque from 3000-4000rpm

have yet to push into high RPM zone etc
Old 10-17-2018, 01:07 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Personally even if there is a difference it's not worth $50K in my pocket......
Old 10-17-2018, 02:08 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I traded only because the delta was about 20K for me and I like the warranty. Otherwise I would have kept the '16.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS owners: how different is this car to the 991.1 GT3 RS