Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS owners: how different is this car to the 991.1 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Those have made the change all have their own reasons. The market will determine the price delta between the two .
Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I traded only because the delta was about 20K for me and I like the warranty. Otherwise I would have kept the '16.
Keeping mine, but yes warranty and everything fresh is worth it to me jus for that.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:55 PM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend and I did a event at Spa a few weeks ago. He and several other's were in there new .2's and I had rented a .1 for the event.
I love the new seats perforations design, and the other tweaks they did to it.
The .2 would pull out of the corners faster. I didn't drive the .2 but I don't think the lap times would of been to much different from the .1, maybe a couple 1/10ths.
Here is a link of me trying to keep up with my friend in the Lizard Green.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

I couldn't tell the difference having driven the .1 and .2 GT3 RS back-to-back this weekend.

I must totally suck as a driver.

That said, given the choice, I'd still prefer the .2 GT3 RS
Old 10-17-2018, 10:50 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

I have posted this before but will repeat briefly:

I have two friends who got a new GT3 RS this summer. One is a factory driver and the other has Porsche/Piech family ties. Both of them had .1 RS as well. The factory driver is obviously handy behind the wheel, and the other fellow is pretty good as well.

Both said there was little difference between the two cars, and the factory shoe said “don’t waste your money”
Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Guest89

I have two friends who got a new GT3 RS this summer. One is a factory driver and the other has Porsche/Piech family ties. Both of them had .1 RS as well. The factory driver is obviously handy behind the wheel, and the other fellow is pretty good as well.

Both said there was little difference between the two cars, and the factory shoe said “don’t waste your money”
Factory driver or rich dude’s opinion is all well and fine but at the end of the day all that matters to me is my assessment for me. I’m very happy with the .2 and it’s improvements real or imaginary as I feel and noticed them compared to my .1.

From 991 GT3 to 2RS the biggest variable is the driver. A fair or inexperienced driver in a 2RS would be bested by a hot shoe in 991GT3 at most tracks.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Factory driver or rich dude’s opinion is all well and fine but at the end of the day all that matters to me is my assessment for me. I’m very happy with the .2 and it’s improvements real or imaginary as I feel and noticed them compared to my .1.

From 991 GT3 to 2RS the biggest variable is the driver. A fair or inexperienced driver in a 2RS would be bested by a hot shoe in 991GT3 at most tracks.
The difference is they aren’t emotionally invested in the quality of the car, whereas you obviously are.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

The difference is they aren’t emotionally invested in the quality of the car, whereas you obviously are.
Probably so.. but that difference is reality to me and that’s all that matters.. to me
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I hate to disagree, but I respectfully do. The engine alone is a worth the upgrade. I put on 8000 miles on .1, pulled it all around the country to various tracks so I have a lot of experience with a lot of laps. The new .2 is better, as I said above the 3 things that jump out are the engine/PDK/front end.

However as I also said above, would I pay $50-100k more for a new one? No, get a CPO .1 RS and enjoy even more worry free miles. I tell anyone who asks that a CPO'd .1 is the way to go if price is a consideration. However, taking money completely out of the equation, the .2 is better.

You have good friends though, I definitely run in the wrong circles!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I traded only because the delta was about 20K for me and I like the warranty. Otherwise I would have kept the '16.
For $20K I would trade as well.....
Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disden
I hate to disagree, but I respectfully do. The engine alone is a worth the upgrade. I put on 8000 miles on .1, pulled it all around the country to various tracks so I have a lot of experience with a lot of laps. The new .2 is better, as I said above the 3 things that jump out are the engine/PDK/front end.

However as I also said above, would I pay $50-100k more for a new one? No, get a CPO .1 RS and enjoy even more worry free miles. I tell anyone who asks that a CPO'd .1 is the way to go if price is a consideration. However, taking money completely out of the equation, the .2 is better.

+1

There are definite physical improvements to the new car. Beginning with rose jointed suspension and spring rates and PDK which jumped right out at me from the first drive . New car does have noticeably more torque and pull but it’s not an “omg” difference. There are more subtle differences such as the engine sound and steering feel . There are clear aesthetic differences which I like . Changes in aero and down force. Brake cooling improvements. Solid valve train/Cup derived motor, 9000 rpm red line.

The clear majority seems to agree that there are definite noticeable differences due to the changes . Lap times seem to bear that out . For instance also see Greenhorns review.

I didn’t pay an Adm either. While I may be more emotionally invested in the car than a billionaire or factory driver I’m not blinded by emotion either. It’s a better.car.

Regardless as they say “perception is reality“.

how much more is the new car worth? The market will determine that .

Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 AM
mig7410
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by disden

This coming from a guy that hangs out with the Rahals...lol

Old 10-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Desert turbo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say a 20% improvement

smoother motor, more torque

pdk shifting is snappier

exhaust sounds is nicer and has a pop sound at about 5-6k rpm shifts on the correct throttle

suspension is just the correct stiffness in standard mode. I daily drive mine and on the 991.1 I always had it on the stiffer dampener setting. Standard setting on 991.2 is perfect

handling/steering is a little more precise

looks are similar but just the right amount more aggressive

apple car play is a nice feature

new Dunlop tries are excellent

Old 10-19-2018, 12:46 AM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

996 GT3 < 997.1 GT3 < 997.2 GT3

are to

991.1 RS < 991.2 GT3 < 991.2 GT3 RS

The 996 GT3 is still a delight to drive.

if chasing seconds .1 RS can be faster with small outlay in go fast bits. I like them all, and how great is it that they all exist.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven’t personally seen gen2 being any quicker but that is most likely because drivers are still new to them. However, seeing some posts on here from drivers going around Spa in 2:36 there must be a very substantial difference. I don’t believe I have seen any videos of standard cars going below 2:40, so based on a very limited comparison the new cars are about 4s quicker on a technical and long power circuit. N2 are not really quicker than N1 or even N0, so that is all from the car.

Happy to be disproven but been around long enough to see that as a significant step up.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS owners: how different is this car to the 991.1 GT3 RS