Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 RS Service Bulletin to Replace Air Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default 991.1 GT3 RS Service Bulletin to Replace Air Filters?

I went to my local dealer to have my service light reset. I've never been able to get my Durametric tool to connect. I need to get on the phone with them to troubleshoot it. First the service manager hammered me over and over again about needing to have my oil changed at a service center to ensure my warranty stayed intact. I politely declined and reminded them is not true or legal. The claim was that Porsche would likely deny a warranty claim since I change my oil on my own. I very nicely showed them a video of me changing it and paid them to reset the light.

Another rather odd change to the service procedure that they showed me on the 2016 GT3 RS, the Air Filters need replacing. I think it was every 6,000 miles. These are washable BMC filters. The cost was $313 each and about two hours of labor to replace them. Can someone explain to me why we would need to replace our washable filters so often. That made very little sense to me.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed Garage
I went to my local dealer to have my service light reset. I've never been able to get my Durametric tool to connect. I need to get on the phone with them to troubleshoot it. First the service manager hammered me over and over again about needing to have my oil changed at a service center to ensure my warranty stayed intact. I politely declined and reminded them is not true or legal. The claim was that Porsche would likely deny a warranty claim since I change my oil on my own. I very nicely showed them a video of me changing it and paid them to reset the light.

Another rather odd change to the service procedure that they showed me on the 2016 GT3 RS, the Air Filters need replacing. I think it was every 6,000 miles. These are washable BMC filters. The cost was $313 each and about two hours of labor to replace them. Can someone explain to me why we would need to replace our washable filters so often. That made very little sense to me.
Hey Matt - I cant answer your question about porsches new service interval for the filters. But, the BMC filters can be bought for less than $150 and, as handy as you are, you would have no problem just pulling the bumper cover and dropping them in once a year. It would make more sense to just replace instead of trying to clean them (and then have the worry of over or under oiling them).

I do know the BMC filters on the RS are oiled filters and some say those tend to collect more dust/grime than the paper filters. Maybe thats why porsche recommended the quicker service interval. I run the BMC's in my GT3 and swap out annually, unless I am in a dusty area or dusty track....and then I swap every 6 to 8 months...
Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Hey Matt - I cant answer your question about porsches new service interval for the filters. But, the BMC filters are can be bought for less than $150 and, as handy as you are, you would have no problem just pulling the bumper cover and dropping them in once a year.

I do know the BMC filters on the RS are oiled filters and some say those tend to collect more dust/grime than the paper filters. Maybe thats why porsche recommended the quicker service interval. I run the BMC's in my GT3 and swap out annually most of the time, unless I am in a dusty area or dusty track....
Do you find they need to be swapped or just wash and reoil them?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Do you find they need to be swapped or just wash and reoil them?
I just swap them out - I've never tried to clean and re-oil them. One of my mechanic buddies told me that re-oiling would be tricky. Over oiling would cause air flow restriction, under-oiling would not sufficiently trap the dirt......so I just rely on BMC to send them to me properly oiled and drop them in. Throw away old ones.

That makes me wonder if it would be worth it to BMC to recycle them?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Service Bulletins are meant to be handled for free under warranty though, no?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Oil: not sure if this applies to the 991 GT3 but to much oil on air filter can lead to that the Air flow meter is working improperly.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like he wanted to get that oil changing money out of you one way or another
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Sounds like he wanted to get that oil changing money out of you one way or another
Yup.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I just swap them out - I've never tried to clean and re-oil them. One of my mechanic buddies told me that re-oiling would be tricky. Over oiling would cause air flow restriction, under-oiling would not sufficiently trap the dirt......so I just rely on BMC to send them to me properly oiled and drop them in. Throw away old ones.

That makes me wonder if it would be worth it to BMC to recycle them?
If people are replacing rather than cleaning the filters, does it make sense to consider using the $64/pair paper GT3 filters instead?

Is there really a performance difference (I always read that the K&N style reuseable filters only flow better for a very brief period at the very beginning of the use cycle)?

As Kobalt and you mentioned, there is a risk of the oil from the BMC filters obstructing flow and getting on the airflow sensors.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK991AFK.html

Since the RS filters are available for the GT3, wouldn’t the reverse be true too?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1GT3RSAFK.html

I guess if I had an RS, I’d also replace the BMC filters very frequently and/or consider papers ones. Either option seems less problematic than re-oiling...
Old 10-08-2018, 11:42 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG

If people are replacing rather than cleaning the filters, does it make sense to consider using the $64/pair paper GT3 filters instead?

Is there really a performance difference (I always read that the K&N style reuseable filters only flow better for a very brief period at the very beginning of the use cycle)?

As Kobalt and you mentioned, there is a risk of the oil from the BMC filters obstructing flow and getting on the airflow sensors.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK991AFK.html

Since the RS filters are available for the GT3, wouldn’t the reverse be true too?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...1GT3RSAFK.html

I guess if I had an RS, I’d also replace the BMC filters very frequently and/or consider papers ones. Either option seems less problematic than re-oiling...
Good question - I dont truly know if there is a performance benefit to the BMC filters. But, I figured porsche installs them in the rs OEM for some reason, so why not. They do not cost much more than the paper filters, so I run them....just in case there is some performance gain....
Old 10-09-2018, 02:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

There is no way I am paying $315 for new BMC filters on my touring.

I am waiting for paper. Or I will oil them. GT3 uses a MAP not an MAF, right?

If you want to save some money:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ir+filter,6192

$9.73 each.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

All these years on different forums,people owning different brands and some still think there's a performance benefit of running oily filters...amazing! Porsche runs BMC because perhaps it's one of their suppliers and they provide better sound : intake noise. Why does Porsche run Mobil 1? Is Mobil 1 the best oil for these cars? I don't think so...
You can run these oily filters no problem,but don't expect extra HP. As a matter of fact,if I'm not mistaking,Porsche doesn't even use a hot wire MAF sensor anymore,they calculate airflow using a MAP sensor and other sensors. So I wouldn't even worry about oil traveling to the sensor.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have more faith changing the oil myself. I'd rather pay you to change the oil, knowing how meticulous you are, than have the typical tech do the work. Most are great, some not so much. The Service Manager is FOS and knows he cannot hold you to this. It's a shame they even charge you to reset the service light.

I also question 6k air filter intervals when conditions are not extreme. Same goes for the spark plug 2 year (regardless of mileage) intervals. Again, I question the need for less than extreme use. I have heard of some reported irregular idling/running which could be reason to change plugs of course.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I have the BMC in my GT3. Honestly never noticed any difference, but it takes 15 minutes to clean the filters. They do get very dirty. Probably easier to go with stock filters tbh.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

what my shop engine builder says:

paper filters work better. you can see it when you disassemble a motor.

Ok, oiled foam filters may flow better. Pick your poison. HP or engine longevity

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 RS Service Bulletin to Replace Air Filters?