Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the road: GT3 or 3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 AM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the answer is "any modern Porsche". I just finished a 1,000 mile rally to visit some of the southwest's national parks. We had two RS', a GT3 Touring, a GT4 and a Targa GTS. Each of the cars performed flawlessly and the drivers and passengers all had a blast. The RS's had a nominal performance advantage in the high speed areas but were still very comfortable. The GT3 Touring had a slightly more civilized ride (and appearance) relative to the RS but kept up with them just fine. The GT4 gave away some power but shined in the tighter sections and didn't lack for high speed capability. The Targa was right in the mix and had the advantage of enjoying some of the parks with the top down. Each of them had more than enough luggage space for 2 people for a week. These are just amazing machines - whatever you have - use it! The memories and experiences are worth more than any depreciation.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

For the road, a 997 C2S is better than any 991 GT car. IMO.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
I think the answer is "any modern Porsche". I just finished a 1,000 mile rally to visit some of the southwest's national parks. We had two RS', a GT3 Touring, a GT4 and a Targa GTS. Each of the cars performed flawlessly and the drivers and passengers all had a blast. The RS's had a nominal performance advantage in the high speed areas but were still very comfortable. The GT3 Touring had a slightly more civilized ride (and appearance) relative to the RS but kept up with them just fine. The GT4 gave away some power but shined in the tighter sections and didn't lack for high speed capability. The Targa was right in the mix and had the advantage of enjoying some of the parks with the top down. Each of them had more than enough luggage space for 2 people for a week. These are just amazing machines - whatever you have - use it! The memories and experiences are worth more than any depreciation.
Great post and it seems like you guys had a lot of fun. Love the pic, it’s so interesting to see the ground clearance between all the models, it was obvious which was the Targa GTS (based on ground clearance alone).
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
For the road, a 997 C2S is better than any 991 GT car. IMO.
I'm inclined to agree with this. More steering feel, shorter wheelbase and smaller overall. Engine not as good though!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:43 PM
lestergreenjr
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
here is a link to member's Porsche2018 with pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...postcount=3364
Thanks, but the link doesn’t bring me to the pictures just the last page of the thread.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf

Looks and sounds like everyone had a fun trip
Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
I'm inclined to agree with this. More steering feel, shorter wheelbase and smaller overall. Engine not as good though!
Engine doesn't sound as good, but the torque curve is punchy and scales well for road use. 997.1 C2S actually feels punchier than the 991.1 GT3 for the kind of revs normally used on the road.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
Lots of other reminders about some people having the money to buy expensive toys while others work hard to pay bills. That's is reality and there is no reason to flaunt my far greater means. Maybe you work with a lot of people that have and do flaunt their wealth and you want to fit in, then go for it. Maybe you get your thrills by impressing folks that just have less money than you do too. I'd call that a character flaw, but hey that's me. ..

Otherwise, unless you track them imho they are just peacock suits...
While you try paint yourself as humble, I'm not seeing it here. I'd also add "judgmental".

Or.... Car owners simply buy a car for themselves, to please themselves because they understand that they are individuals who are simply exercising their freedom of choice. You apparently see this as a "character flaw" with ulterior motives.

I bought my GT3 - in Guards Red for one reason. When I saw it and then drove it, I just had to have it. Did I, for one second think, "Oh, I can't wait to show this off to everybody - including thousands of complete strangers on the road - especially those who are just getting by"? Nope. And I too "work hard to pay my bills". It's hardly a trait that is exclusive to those without the means. If cost were no object I would've bought an RS. However, I already felt a little guilty buying the GT3

Back on "track". If cost were no object I would've bought an RS. However, I already felt a little guilty buying the GT3. Is the a great DD? No, but it is pretty good and worlds better than my Ferrari spider was. It is more comfortable with much better visibility (especially in the passenger-side quarters) and most importantly, it KILLS it in the performance category.

I do agree with you regarding a Macan though, that's what I have for a DD. There's no place I have been hesitant to take it and it is, by far, the most comfortable car I've ever owned.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lestergreenjr

Thanks, but the link doesn’t bring me to the pictures just the last page of the thread.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f6617e6c44.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...994f942758.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ef7d5ac071.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e2b9ed49e8.jpg
Old 10-09-2018, 04:31 PM
lestergreenjr
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: For the road: GT3 or 3RS?