Sponsored by:

Warning: Angeles Crest Highway and My Ten Hour Ordeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:20 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warning: Angeles Crest Highway and My Ten Hour Ordeal

Just wanted to let you know that this section of Angeles Crest Highway is littered with hundreds of huge rocks and boulders and should be avoided at all cost! The small boulders are larger than a softball. Big ones are 50 lbs! I know because I stopped , jumped out of the car and manually lifted at least three 50's and threw them to the side of the road because they were seriously dangerous. One of boulders popped my rear PSC2 tires of my GT3 and stranded me 15 miles west of Big Pine at 12:00 Noon. No cell phone service. No Internet. In the middle of nowhere. Luckily, my buddy in his GT350R drove me back to the ranger station to call Porsche Roadside Assistance (PRA) for a tow. That's when the nightmare starts. After waiting two hours I find out that the tow company cancelled the tow request made by PRA for unknown reasons. After another two hours the second tow company did the same thing! PRA arranged for a third tow which finally showed up 6.5 hours after my first request! I finally dropped off the GT3 at Walters Porsche in Riverside at 10:00 PM tonight for a Monday service appointment. The problem is, I was supposed to track Auto Club Speedway Saturday and drive home to San Jose on Sunday so now I have pass on the prepaid track day and extend my trip. My boss is not going to like this story. I hear PSC2's are in short supply being toward the end of the year but hope I can find just one for Monday install. If anyone knows of a good source for PSC2's (305/30 ZR 20 N0's) in the LA area, please let me know.

Today pretty much sucked but at least the tow was free.

Dangerous section: https://goo.gl/uFp6WR

In the middle of nowhere:

Finally at Walters:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:15 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

On a positive note, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

When similar things like this happen to me, it makes me think [well in your case], "damn, maybe i wasnt meant to go to the track day tomorrow"

Thats how i see it when things like this happen.

Ofcourse, sorry to hear about your ordeal. That really sux that the tow companies cancelled twice.
Best of luck in your repair.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks. At least it didn’t damage your wheel. Normally Porsche dealers have tires for just such emergencies. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:38 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Sorry to hear this but glad you and the car are seemingly ok. Every time I drive ACH I am on high alert for what's on the roads as there are rocks/debris on some patches that you have to react quickly to, but so far never had any issues knock on wood

I might have seen you driving down on i5 just north of LA on Thursday as I was headed up to SF, saw an awesome looking DBM .1 on the other side
Old 10-06-2018, 12:38 PM
everydaygt3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's so unfortunate to here. The no cell service must have been frustrating.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Bummer. I tend not to go above Newcome’s for that reason. That area is less frequently driven and there can sometimes be accumulated rocks in the road.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:49 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

What a hassle, that blows. Upside is that those 0814 date stamp tires are pretty much done anyway from a timed out perspective (i.e., I wouldn't track them).
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
everydaygt3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brownan
What a hassle, that blows. Upside is that those 0814 date stamp tires are pretty much done anyway from a timed out perspective (i.e., I wouldn't track them).
Typically, what is a good age range you want to stay in? Just asking so I know to check my tire age before the next track day. Thanks in advanced!
Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Rocks/boulders and deer are the two major things you need to be on the lookout for on ACH. I've had my share of near-misses.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:03 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Rocks/boulders and deer are the two major things you need to be on the lookout for on ACH. I've had my share of near-misses.
Same here. Had a very close encounter with a deer earlier this year at ACH that still freaks me out.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

"I might have seen you driving down on i5 just north of LA on Thursday as I was headed up to SF, saw an awesome looking DBM .1 on the other side"

Yup, that was me!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goldberg
On a positive note, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

When similar things like this happen to me, it makes me think [well in your case], "damn, maybe i wasnt meant to go to the track day tomorrow"

Thats how i see it when things like this happen.

Ofcourse, sorry to hear about your ordeal. That really sux that the tow companies cancelled twice.
Best of luck in your repair.
Yeah, good point. I believe in the karma-thing and perhaps it was not meant to be.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dalema
That sucks. At least it didn’t damage your wheel. Normally Porsche dealers have tires for just such emergencies. Good luck!
Talked to Porsche Riverside folks today. Lead mechanic says it is likely they have at least one PSC2. Another manager says: "Worst case scenario, we have a .2 GT3 in the showroom!" LOL.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brownan
Thanks for noticing the freshness date.

Quick Reply: Warning: Angeles Crest Highway and My Ten Hour Ordeal