Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2RS vs Cup Car.... The Video/Data

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:00 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Really a superb effort from everyone involved--thanks!!

The Vmin delta between the two cars' astounding.

One thing the vid/data doesn't capture is how the 4WS helps rotate the car--it does give the driver slightly more margin beyond what's normally expected of a corner entry. I suspect with more seat time the pro in the RS will be able to carry more mid-corner speed in all the 2nd gear turns.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:39 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Extremely well done and very entertaining! Thank you for sharing the production with us.

The RS would have likely been 1-2 seconds per lap slower if the OEM MPSC 2's were used that the car actually comes with from the factory.

Results were as expected for those of us familiar with Cup Cars.

A 6 second delta is an absolute eternity in racing...enough to span the 1st to last spot on the F1 grid...twice.

Race car is a race car!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Cool video and great exercise - really enjoyable to follow the process. Well done.

​​​​​​​Current gen Cup would take approx another 2 secs out of the RS. Traction clearly matters here but not nearly as much as lower mass, and the fact that the gap is as large as it is despite the massive power difference - 460 vs 700 - makes you realize just how much weight matters.

Last edited by Nizer; 10-09-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Cool video and great exercise - really enjoyable to follow the process. Well done.

​​​​​​​Current gen Cup would take approx another 2 secs out of the RS. Traction clearly matters here but not nearly as much as lower mass, and the massive power difference - 460 vs 700 - makes you realize just how much weight matters.
+1. Current Cup is WAY faster than the 991.1.

At least now everybody with a GT2RS has a lap time to shoot for.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:11 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Hello BK77, hope all is well. Are you thinking of installing the Manthey suspension? Another well known member here and I were talking about requesting Manthey to install their suspension on the GT2RS. They might come here if there is a "Group Buy/Install"?

I was informed although not sure yet that the lift can be kept if need be, instead of deactivating it.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
I don't want to hijack this thread so I'm moving this over to GT2 RS thread, but yes I will be doing suspension. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...991-gt2rs.html

Old 10-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Excellent production, must have watched it at least a dozen times by now. Thanks!

I've also read through all the posts. I would like to emphasize one thing that has been alluded to in the video. Road America is essentially long straights broken up by a few 90 degree turns and a carousel. This s a track where high horsepower reigns supreme. Its 700HP vs 460 HP, so this test was already significantly biased towards the GT2RS. Just look at the speeds and the end of the front straight:171 for the RS and 159 for the Cup car. The back straight is the same story. The next straight has a kink, and this exposes the RS's weakness. And despite the above, Cup car wins. Given another track, VIR or Watkins Glen, for example, with more technical aspects the difference would even be bigger, IMO.

As has been stated, a race car is a race car and a street car is a street car.

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs Cup Car.... The Video/Data