Sponsored by:

Roll cage installation identified a problem in my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:45 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Roll cage installation identified a problem in my suspension

I bought my 991.2 GT3 in February this year. This is the clearly the best of the six 911s I have owned over the years and tops every car I have driven to date. My plan was to get the feel of the car for a few months and ultimately take it to the track from time to time. I decided to install a roll cage and ultimately went with the BBI product. The guys at HG near San Diego installed the roll cage and did a great job as it looked like it was installed at the factory. After they installed the bar and took it for a test drive they noticed a significant clanking noise which sounded to me like the bar was actually loose. We tried to figure it out but the shop was ready to close for the day so I drove the car home only to feel sick inside since I now had a car that sounded like an old pickup truck that made a loud clanking sound every time I went over the slightest bump or imperfection in the road. Initially we had no clue what was causing the terribly loud clanking noise. HG had installed at least a dozen of these bars with no problem. So I brought the car back the next day and they check the installation yet all looked good. So they checked out the suspension and apparently at least two bolts were quite loose (not sure which ones). After tightening the bolts with a proper torque wrench the clanking sound was gone. The car seems much tighter and the suspension feels like it should (tight but quiet over bumps). So apparently by installing the roll cage I became aware of a problem with the suspension due to the fact that the roll cage transferred the sound into the interior and could have enhanced the suspension problem due to a more stable chassis. Prior to installing the roll cage I had no idea my suspension was loose which was probably an issue for some time that would have gone unnoticed. Now, I not only have a beautiful roll cage (powder coated in gun metal to match my interior) but my car sounds (no clanking) and feels much better on the road. Thanks to the guys at BBI and HG for their detective work and fine craftsmanship.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:23 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Was there clanking before the roll cage?

Why did you go BBi?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Car built right before/after a German holiday?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:16 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There was not much if any clanking before the roll cage was installed. Perhaps a little suspension noise and looseness over bumps which I assumed was normal since it was there from the time I purchased the car. However, after the roll cage was installed and the suspension bolts tightened the car felt much tighter all around, more precise and made no clanking or suspension noise. I bought the car in late February which I suspect means it was built just before German holiday. So the morale of the story is have your dealer check the suspension for loose nuts and bolts. Until my roll cage was installed I had no idea my car had this issue. Also, I am convinced that the BBI roll cage helped make the chassis feel tighter around corners. However, this is purely subjective.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

normally, the sounds come from loose end links on either the front or rear anti-sway bars, and yes a rollbar will give an extra echo to rear suspension noises (the normal ones and the not-so normal ones).

My rear drop links have come loose at least 3 times in the last year, but my front ones have stayed just perfect (Elephant Racing which eliminated the bind on my lowered RS).
Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the adjustable drop links.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP--do you mind asking your shop what they did? It would be helpful for those wanting to check themselves. Thx
Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM
everydaygt3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A/S
normally, the sounds come from loose end links on either the front or rear anti-sway bars, and yes a rollbar will give an extra echo to rear suspension noises (the normal ones and the not-so normal ones).

My rear drop links have come loose at least 3 times in the last year, but my front ones have stayed just perfect (Elephant Racing which eliminated the bind on my lowered RS).
Great thread, as I do have some clanking sounds when going over bumbs in my GT3. The sounds have been persistent since delivery. I'm going to get it checked out now.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM
everydaygt3
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A/S

Great thread, as I do have some clanking sounds when going over bumbs in my GT3. The sounds have been persistent since delivery. I'm going to get it checked out now.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM
csfastp
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same issue . Thanks for posting I will have it checked out.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by everydaygt3
Idem here...
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - not great for Porsche QC Dept as it doesn’t sound like a one off case. I wonder if they’re not being torqued correctly at factory or if they’re working loose on the street?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:04 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 92 Posts

If anyone could provide pics or other identification of which bolts were loose, that would be amazing. Will be on the lookout for this when my car arrives.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Did we ever figure out exactly what was loose or torqued?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Did we ever figure out exactly what was loose or torqued?
I’m with ya krocks.....few posts with the same clank sound....no one reports back what it was or the fix...all just disappeared.......come on man! Help us out here!

Quick Reply: Roll cage installation identified a problem in my suspension