Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: To vote PLEASE you must own .2 GT3, be the original owner AND keeping the car.
MT
69.50%
PDK
30.50%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

.2 GT3 PDK vs MT for non flippers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

MT all the way. Skipped the whole .1 because it was PDK only. I’ve been grinning from ear to ear driving my Touring.Alredy turned down a couple of unsolicited over msrp offers. There is nothing better currently in the market to replace it with.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:53 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Curiously only 2 years ago 65%was on pdks 35% on mt

now the opposite

lets call it electrification panic effect
Old 10-04-2018, 06:22 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

if performance is your goal as with me, on a 3 sec car, .7sec faster with pdk is enormous.
Also, try driving around SoCal in a manual. Pure Torture!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:16 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

The problem with this sort of poll is that there is no real control group. The rennlist population is unique even among GT three owners and I think that any data that is acquired will be skewed towards enthusiast ,and not a true representation of the population at large.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 680 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by maspirito
The problem with this sort of poll is that there is no real control group. The rennlist population is unique even among GT three owners and I think that any data that is acquired will be skewed towards enthusiast ,and not a true representation of the population at large.
Agreed. Still just interesting to see those that are not flipping what they actual bought to drive and own.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by maspirito
I thought the same for some time. Regardless, not population at large, but I also think Rennlist is one of the largest forums where real GT3 owners come for info and discussions. While this sample may represent only a fraction of total worldwide GT3 ownership, I think it still may represent results comparable to a larger scale regarding the preference of those that own GT3s. After all, most people voting are probably real GT3 owners (or would like to be). There are other cars, like twin turbos, which I would only buy with the PDK style tranny to minimize lag and increase performance acceleration. So it really depends on the car and purpose. This type of poll only really applies to high performance NA engines. For example, I would only get a Pista with thier dual clutch tranny, but I wish the 458 Speciale had a manual tranny instead. There is no doubt that any DD beater would probably be best with something other than a manual tranny. I think that most people who began driving GT3s before PDK would prefer MT. Most people who got into GT3s when is was PDK only, like the 991.1 GT3, probably prefer PDK, as they never really drove a manual GT3 before. GT3 ownership kinda became too mainstream in the past few years, with many new owner who don't know what its like to drive a 996, 997.1, 997.2 GT3. Its one of those thing where you can't miss what you never had...
Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Ordered Miami blue ,manual ,sofas,iron brakes.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I thought the same for some time. Regardless, not population at large, but I also think Rennlist is one of the largest forums where real GT3 owners come for info and discussions. While this sample may represent only a fraction of total worldwide GT3 ownership, I think it still may represent results comparable to a larger scale regarding the preference of those that own GT3s. After all, most people voting are probably real GT3 owners (or would like to be). There are other cars, like twin turbos, which I would only buy with the PDK style tranny to minimize lag and increase performance acceleration. So it really depends on the car and purpose. This type of poll only really applies to high performance NA engines. For example, I would only get a Pista with thier dual clutch tranny, but I wish the 458 Speciale had a manual tranny instead. There is no doubt that any DD beater would probably be best with something other than a manual tranny. I think that most people who began driving GT3s before PDK would prefer MT. Most people who got into GT3s when is was PDK only, like the 991.1 GT3, probably prefer PDK, as they never really drove a manual GT3 before. GT3 ownership kinda became too mainstream in the past few years, with many new owner who don't know what its like to drive a 996, 997.1, 997.2 GT3. Its one of those thing where you can't miss what you never had...
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Most of the GT3 owners I meet at the track do not participate in RL. A few do, most know about RL, but most don't participate on this forum or any other forum. As a GT3 owner actively participating in RL, I am definitely a minority among the group I run with. I even get negative comments about it
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Most of the GT3 owners I meet at the track do not participate in RL. A few do, most know about RL, but most don't participate on this forum or any other forum. As a GT3 owner actively participating in RL, I am definitely a minority among the group I run with. I even get negative comments about it
Realistically, RL probably represents only 10% of total GT3 owners. So sure, small percentage relative to total GT3 ownership. “Participate” on Rennlist is a strong word, as probably most owners probably look down all the bickering and sh*tshow going on here these days. But I’m sure there is higher than 10% of owners that, while they might not “participate”, they come here and lurk from time to time, may likely silently vote on threads like these, depending on the circumstances and preferences stated in my previous post. Regardless, my transmission preference is not based on what most people like nor speculation, but instead it is based on actual ownership and driving the experience.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:53 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Love my manual....and its a keeper
Old 10-06-2018, 04:16 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

Realistically, RL probably represents only 10% of total GT3 owners. So sure, small percentage relative to total GT3 ownership. “Participate” on Rennlist is a strong word, as probably most owners probably look down all the bickering and sh*tshow going on here these days. But I’m sure there is higher than 10% of owners that, while they might not “participate”, they come here and lurk from time to time, may likely silently vote on threads like these, depending on the circumstances and preferences stated in my previous post. Regardless, my transmission preference is not based on what most people like nor speculation, but instead it is based on actual ownership and driving the experience.
Word. I sometimes avoid here.. because... well I'm busy. And if I say something someone doesn't like.. I come back a day later and there's like 10 replies to what I've said telling me I'm dumb, not a true P fan, etc. People say stuff. People have opinions. It's cool. Let's not call names and flame people or you'll never know what they truly think.

Do I lurk a lot.. yeah. There's good info on here once you get efficient at reading past the 90% of the posts about ADM, flippers, rumors, and dealer/customer bashing.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:59 AM
6spman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6MT, LWB, steel brakes and definitely keeping it
Old 10-07-2018, 08:03 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

My dealer just got in a PDK and a MT pre-owned from first orders so cars were almost a year old. Sold both in 4 hours.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

There’s a guy in my region who picked up a 911 new in ‘68 when he was 32 years old. The car now has roughly 500k miles and he still competes with it regularly (at 81). Timeless.

I aspire to something similar, and the GT3 Touring is my horse. In hindsight the 997 RS 4.0 would have been even better, but the Touring would be a close second choice (from my era) and I’m very happy with it. A manual transmission and normal aspiration are both requirements for my own personal timeless 911, with the classic slick rear deck being a bonus. No chance I’d have bought one if PDK was the only option.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Consensus clear that Touring, which is 6MT only, is the keeper.

IMO, .2 GT3 wing, whether PDK or manual, while a great car, won’t be keeper for most. Rather, it will be a gateway drug to an RS or their owners will develop Touring envy.

Just returned from Smokies GT fall event after putting 1,000+ miles on my new Touring and loved every minute. Got some wheel time in others’ RS’s (.1 GT3 RS, .2 GT3 RS, and new GT2 RS), all PDK of course. Can certainly appreciate the excitement of PDK on those cars. But For non-RS, 6MT definitely the way to go.

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 PDK vs MT for non flippers