Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 GT3RS vs 2018 6spd Manual GT3... THE REAL STORY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It’s faster on every track in auto or PDK.
Thats just an answer to a question above.

i don’t understand your problem with my post.

we’re comparing two 991.2 variants and I was only explaining how the .2RS could go faster in a drag race.

personally I have no interest in drag racing or manual 991 and later cars.

If I go manual, I prefer slower true analog cars.
Not rev matching for me.

Oh I definitely have no problem with your post! It's actually a very good post! If you want to go faster on any track,set the pdk to Auto : it will shift better than any human being can! But that's the whole point : humans are liabilities-develop good enough technologies to take them out of the equation and you will see improvement. Does that relate to cars driven for the pleasure of driving,not necessarily to be fastest? I would say NO!
The myth AP launched at the introduction of the pdk transmission about " half car lengths " is gone. Even he doesn't believe that anymore! And it's been proven by many good drivers,some of them from this forum...
Old 09-30-2018, 01:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

We were talking about drag racing..
Fast drivers are fast in anything.

PDK and RS are both faster on track.
Equal drivers.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Equal drivers.

It should be,shouldn't it? It does make more power and torque!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Great video Dave!

if Speedster is RS engine and manual transmission, then it will be epic!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

I estimate that a manual PCCB GT3 is 35kg(77lbs) lighter than an RS with steels, which equates to the RS weighing exactly 2.5% more assuming otherwise similar spec..As its basically power to weight ratio which determines how fast a car accelerates in gear then the RS would need an extra 12.5HP(2.5%) more than the GT3 to achieve identical P/W ratio. As the OP states in his first post that according to dynos the PDK only takes up between 5 and 10HP in losses, say average of 7.5HP. Add the 12.5HP to the 7.5HP which means the RS with steels needs 20HP more WHP to equal the GT3 with manual.
This tallies exactly with the extra 20HP the RS engine has over the GT3's. Taking all this into account plus the reduced rotational inertia of the PCCBs then its hardly surprising that both cars have similar on the roll acceleration.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

But isn’t the hearing shorter on a PDK? Or the same with 7th being overdrive?

i drive the manual quite a bit and felt slower, I assumed due to gears being taller.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Nice!!

whats the mileage on both cars?
Just over 300 on the RS and about 2900 on the GT3

Originally Posted by A418t81
Cool video. Thanks for the effort and the data point. Makes me even more excited to welcome the new car soon.
Both cars are amazing! Can't go wrong with either one IMO.

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
lol that put all the nayslayers on the other post looking a bit daft saying , manual means nothing as do PCCB's RS will always win....

now we have a Manual PCCB car quicker than a RS :-) be interesting manual PCCB vs normal GT3 steel PDK.

Close windows, level wing and leave RS in Auto PDK when drag racing.

manual reduces torque in 1st and 2nd and hitting the rev limiter doesn’t help

It’s only just as fast as GT3 over 100 MPH.

RS is faster on any track.
Originally Posted by Brosef
agreed, was shocked at the missed shifts on the pdk car in this video. they also picked a bit of a weird speed to start from. these cars are so explosive in first gear, it's way too hard to get a fair start between them. props to the manual driver - he must have shifted nearly flawlessly.

that said, the last race seemed to be the most fair. even start for both, no missed shifts. and in that video, you can see the cars are neck and neck up until probably 100mph, where the GT3 starts to pull (no doubt due to the slicker aero, which was exacerbated by the RS's open window).
The RS hit the limiter in one race... the GT3 rolled up the windows in one race (and frankly didn't get it all the way up lol)... there were plenty other runs with both cars windows down... Both wings were in the least aggressive positions. We tried to take as many variables out of these runs as possible. Frankly, I have an RS coming... so I was incented to make sure the races were as equal as possible. Frankly the last race on the video, while it's tough to tell... the RS actually got a slight jump, and the GT3 was able to make it up. When the GT3 got the jump, the RS wasn't able to make up the gap.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Hahaha! Yeah put it in Auto to remove the driver! I'm looking forward to the 994 GT3 RS where you go to your favorite track,the GPS will recognize you're at SPA,press a button and enjoy your popcorn and Frappuccino while the car will be putting lap time after lap time until the tires give out. At that point the nanny will take you to the pits " for your safety ".
ROFL, agreed!

It’s faster on every track in auto or PDK.
Thats just an answer to a question above.
i don’t understand your problem with my post.
we’re comparing two 991.2 variants and I was only explaining how the .2RS could go faster in a drag race.
personally I have no interest in drag racing or manual 991 and later cars.
If I go manual, I prefer slower true analog cars.
Not rev matching for me.
We were talking about drag racing..
Fast drivers are fast in anything.
Equal drivers.

Trakcar, I don't use the rev matching either... I drive them! And I would challenge the theory that the PDK is faster on any track.. I think where we agree with one another... is the 'faster driver' will be faster on any track.. whether he's in the PDK or the Manual trans car. Now, I'm not so sure they can make up the on track advantage the RS has over the GT3 in 'aero and track width'... but the PDK... isn't an unfair advantage. Look at Randy's times at Willow Springs, he was .3 (3 tenths slower) in the Manual, Steel Braked GT3 with Sofa seats vs. the PDK, PCCB, LWB GT3... same day same track. Isn't your experience similar when switching from steel to Ceramics?

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Great video Dave!

if Speedster is RS engine and manual transmission, then it will be epic!
I completely agree... that car would be/will be INSANE!

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I estimate that a manual PCCB GT3 is 35kg(77lbs) lighter than an RS with steels, which equates to the RS weighing exactly 2.5% more assuming otherwise similar spec..As its basically power to weight ratio which determines how fast a car accelerates in gear then the RS would need an extra 12.5HP(2.5%) more than the GT3 to achieve identical P/W ratio. As the OP states in his first post that according to dynos the PDK only takes up between 5 and 10HP in losses, say average of 7.5HP. Add the 12.5HP to the 7.5HP which means the RS with steels needs 20HP more WHP to equal the GT3 with manual.
This tallies exactly with the extra 20HP the RS engine has over the GT3's. Taking all this into account plus the reduced rotational inertia of the PCCBs then its hardly surprising that both cars have similar on the roll acceleration.
That was exactly what we were trying to show/prove as well. Frankly, if you speak with the RS driver... he'll tell you the manual GT3 was the quicker car in most the races. Most of the reason, I'd reason, due to lower HP loss via Manual trans. The brakes never were given any benefit in the last posters thread... when the RS had PCCB and the GT3 had Iron brakes... so it's a bit funny how in this comparison everyone is certain to call it out.

No question (in my mind) equal driver on the RoadCourse... the RS wins... and that's what it was built for. And while I'll plan to run mine around a few tracks (probably not as often as TrakCar or Orthojoe) I will also plan to do 1/2 mile events and the like too.

But isn’t the hearing shorter on a PDK? Or the same with 7th being overdrive?

i drive the manual quite a bit and felt slower, I assumed due to gears being taller.
I do believe the gearing in the PDK is shorter, but the RS has a taller tire... which seems to equalize that. When you say you 'drive the manual and it felt slower' compared to what? If you're comparing to a .1 RS... the .2 4.0 GT3 is much stronger... considerably more TQ... and most who have driven both side to side noticed that immediately. Or are you comparing to a .2 RS?
​​​​​​​
Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 06:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Ceramics are .5 sec faster at Sebring but I assume that it’s due to lower temps on the front tire more then just the weight loss.
I don’t think it makes a difference in acceleration runs.

It would be interesting to weigh the cars.
- PDK weight VS all the CF stuff on RS
- Aero advantage GT3 over 100MPH compared to fat RS
- Less power loss, over 20HP more RS
- Less parasitical loss manual, over better gearing RS.
- GT3 loosened up VS RS low mile on motor.

Someone once drove a bunch of fresh lower mile .1RS and then drive my whored out one and commented mine felt particularly strong.
I should Dyno it sometimes.

My comment on rev matching was just that if I go manual, it nostalgic to me and I want an aircooled for that.
Thats nothing to take away from the manual enthusiasts!

Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Ceramics are .5 sec faster at Sebring but I assume that it’s due to lower temps on the front tire more then just the weight loss.
I don’t think it makes a difference in acceleration runs.

It would be interesting to weigh the cars.
- PDK weight VS all the CF stuff on RS
- Aero advantage GT3 over 100MPH compared to fat RS
- Less power loss, over 20HP more RS
- Less parasitical loss manual, over better gearing RS.
- GT3 loosened up VS RS low mile on motor.

Someone once drove a bunch of fresh lower mile .1RS and then drive my whored out one and commented mine felt particularly strong.
I should Dyno it sometimes.

My comment on rev matching was just that if I go manual, it nostalgic to me and I want an aircooled for that.
Thats nothing to take away from the manual enthusiasts!

You definitely should dyno your car... would be nice to get an 'ole broken in' pull and compare to your new one when you get it. I dyno'd mine with about 500 miles on it.. and I'll plan to do the same to the RS early next year.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-30-2018, 10:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Just asked my shop if they know a low mileage RS to Dyno.
Never did it but would be cool to see. And maybe I do it again with new spark plugs because RS uses them up fast.
Not sure if it would make a difference but it idles smoother with new plugs.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:29 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't tell, was this flatshifting?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It should be,shouldn't it? It does make more power and torque!
woosh
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
We should not be too surprised at the OP’s results given they match Porsche’s own figures.
97-200 kph:
991.2 GT3 PDK 7.8 seconds
991.2 GT3 Manual 7.6 seconds
991.2 RS PDK 7.6 seconds

So the manual is quoted equal to the RS through the midrange. Given that it’s got a 5 mph advantage on the big end you’d expect the manual 3 to pull away as speeds climb. Exactly what we see here.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my gt3 but would give it back in a heart beat to get the RS. And an arm..
Old 10-09-2018, 03:41 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Alright Fellow Rennlisters! As we were able to make the request happen... who would win, when both cars properly driven:

2018 6 speed Manual GT3
2019 PDK GT3 RS

Both owners decided on taking a quick trip to Mexico, and try to post some UNBIASED roll races, between the new GT3 RS and the 6spd Manual GT3.

This 6spd Car has run neck and neck with the new Turbo S from a roll, and knowing this... we were a bit of a skeptic of the videos being posted showing the RS 'walking away' from the '18 GT3, and lack of multiple runs.

Now, the GT3's that had been racing the RS' had been PDK to PDK, and there is something to be said for a slight increase in drive-train loss for the PDK vs. Manual (looks to be about 5 to 10 HP at the most depending on the dyno).

You will see MULTIPLE passes here between the RS & the 6spd Manual... and what both the owners agreed... was that once both cars were rolling... the GT3 did seem to pull ever so slightly in the higher gears (4th/5th).

We worked to make these runs EXTREMELY FAIR... and frankly, noticed if the 6spd car got the jump... the 6spd was gone. If the RS got the jump... it was a much closer race... and the 6spd would creep back up on the RS.

Regardless, both cars are AMAZING... and are confident a PDK RS vs. PDK GT3... the RS is going to win. And frankly, if you aren't perfect at rowing the gears... the PDK probably wins against the 6spd cars as well.

Both drivers met at a local gas station near the border and filled up their tanks so that both cars were as delivered, no passengers and full tanks of fuel.

We tried to get a Turbo S and a PDK GT3 car to attend, however their schedules weren't able to make the trip.

https://youtu.be/RewOYIQbQGY

Best Regards,
Dave
Amazing Video! Incredible! Thx for sharing!

Quick Reply: 2019 GT3RS vs 2018 6spd Manual GT3... THE REAL STORY!