Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 GT3RS vs 2018 6spd Manual GT3... THE REAL STORY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Alright Fellow Rennlisters! As we were able to make the request happen... who would win, when both cars properly driven:

2018 6 speed Manual GT3
2019 PDK GT3 RS

Both owners decided on taking a quick trip to Mexico, and try to post some UNBIASED roll races, between the new GT3 RS and the 6spd Manual GT3.

This 6spd Car has run neck and neck with the new Turbo S from a roll, and knowing this... we were a bit of a skeptic of the videos being posted showing the RS 'walking away' from the '18 GT3, and lack of multiple runs.

Now, the GT3's that had been racing the RS' had been PDK to PDK, and there is something to be said for a slight increase in drive-train loss for the PDK vs. Manual (looks to be about 5 to 10 HP at the most depending on the dyno).

You will see MULTIPLE passes here between the RS & the 6spd Manual... and what both the owners agreed... was that once both cars were rolling... the GT3 did seem to pull ever so slightly in the higher gears (4th/5th).

We worked to make these runs EXTREMELY FAIR... and frankly, noticed if the 6spd car got the jump... the 6spd was gone. If the RS got the jump... it was a much closer race... and the 6spd would creep back up on the RS.

Regardless, both cars are AMAZING... and are confident a PDK RS vs. PDK GT3... the RS is going to win. And frankly, if you aren't perfect at rowing the gears... the PDK probably wins against the 6spd cars as well.

Both drivers met at a local gas station near the border and filled up their tanks so that both cars were as delivered, no passengers and full tanks of fuel.

We tried to get a Turbo S and a PDK GT3 car to attend, however their schedules weren't able to make the trip.

https://youtu.be/RewOYIQbQGY

Best Regards,
Dave
Dave,

Just wondering, why not include a standing start video as well? Also, PCCB's vs Steel brakes?

Great to see how less loss of power through a manual transmission can put power to the wheels if driven property but I think the video would have been more interesting/compelling with both having ceramic or steel brakes making the cars more identical.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:42 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
Dave,

Just wondering, why not include a standing start video as well? Also, PCCB's vs Steel brakes? I think the video would have been more interesting/compelling with either both having ceramic or both having steel brakes making the cars more identical.
We just wanted to remove driver variance, so stuck with 1st gear and 2nd gear rolls. I'm sure we can line up some standing starts at the next 1/2 mile event in Gila Bend.

I too wish the cars had the same brakes, but in the prior roll race when the GT3 had steel brakes, everyone said they didn't matter. 😉

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-29-2018, 06:53 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums

We just wanted to remove driver variance, so stuck with 1st gear and 2nd gear rolls. I'm sure we can line up some standing starts at the next 1/2 mile event in Gila Bend.

I too wish the cars had the same brakes, but in the prior roll race when the GT3 had steel brakes, everyone said they didn't matter. 😉

Best Regards,
Dave
Fair enough, appreciate the reply. Definitely love to see a standing start! I mean, if were going to tout the benefits of a manual transmission for less power loss, then the other side of that coin is being able to get your car off the line efficiently with a manual.

Agreed on the brakes. Only one way to find out if the steel vs ceramics matter!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
Fair enough, appreciate the reply. Definitely love to see a standing start! I mean, if were going to tout the benefits of a manual transmission for less power loss, then the other side of that coin is being able to get your car off the line efficiently with a manual.

Agreed on the brakes. Only one way to find out if the steel vs ceramics matter!
The PDK would win 80% of the time off line until 2nd gear. You just can not row as fast as PKD and 1st gear always tricky when you gun it from stand still. I have tried it many times and as good/quick as you think you are rowing gears PDK will have the slight edge.

As for steel vs PCCBs- not going to make a difference- it will when you have to clean the cars
Old 09-29-2018, 07:26 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!!

whats the mileage on both cars?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

RS owners could always transplant a MT to keep up...haha.

These results also hint that the 992 GT3 will have turbos.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:49 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

RS driver needs to shut his windows just like gt3 driver was
Old 09-29-2018, 08:14 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Cool video. Thanks for the effort and the data point. Makes me even more excited to welcome the new car soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

RS was an RS but then they offered it without a manual.

Now plenty of people that can afford both choose the GT3.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:11 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

lol that put all the nayslayers on the other post looking a bit daft saying , manual means nothing as do PCCB's RS will always win....

now we have a Manual PCCB car quicker than a RS :-) be interesting manual PCCB vs normal GT3 steel PDK.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
lol that put all the nayslayers on the other post looking a bit daft saying , manual means nothing as do PCCB's RS will always win....

now we have a Manual PCCB car quicker than a RS :-) be interesting manual PCCB vs normal GT3 steel PDK.
I wonder which is really quicker around the track??.- probably will depend on which track
Old 09-30-2018, 12:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Close windows, level wing and leave RS in Auto PDK when drag racing.

manual reduces torque in 1st and 2nd and hitting the rev limiter doesn’t help

It’s only just as fast as GT3 over 100 MPH.

RS is faster on any track.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

agreed, was shocked at the missed shifts on the pdk car in this video. they also picked a bit of a weird speed to start from. these cars are so explosive in first gear, it's way too hard to get a fair start between them. props to the manual driver - he must have shifted nearly flawlessly.

that said, the last race seemed to be the most fair. even start for both, no missed shifts. and in that video, you can see the cars are neck and neck up until probably 100mph, where the GT3 starts to pull (no doubt due to the slicker aero, which was exacerbated by the RS's open window).
Old 09-30-2018, 01:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Hahaha! Yeah put it in Auto to remove the driver! I'm looking forward to the 994 GT3 RS where you go to your favorite track,the GPS will recognize you're at SPA,press a button and enjoy your popcorn and Frappuccino while the car will be putting lap time after lap time until the tires give out. At that point the nanny will take you to the pits " for your safety ".
Old 09-30-2018, 01:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

It’s faster on every track in auto or PDK.
Thats just an answer to a question above.

i don’t understand your problem with my post.

we’re comparing two 991.2 variants and I was only explaining how the .2RS could go faster in a drag race.

personally I have no interest in drag racing or manual 991 and later cars.

If I go manual, I prefer slower true analog cars.
Not rev matching for me.

Quick Reply: 2019 GT3RS vs 2018 6spd Manual GT3... THE REAL STORY!