Sponsored by:

Advice on Valley of Fire day trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Advice on Valley of Fire day trip

For those that have done the trip, your advice is welcomed, thank you.
Would like to do some break In miles for the RS. Any advice on the condition of the roads
Which roads to drive on
Which area of the park to visit
Sites to visit
Parking areas paved or not
Old 09-27-2018, 04:53 AM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

I am very similar with the area. It’s one of my most frequented driving routes. Take route 167 through lake mead recreational area. It connects valley of fire to Hoover dam. Amazing condition scenic roads with little to no traffic. It’s mostly sweeper turns and medium sized straights. Lots of legal passing zones if needed. Also great visibility which adds a lot of safety too. A 23 gallon fuel tank should last the whole ride, but there is a gas station at Echo Point midway. It’s the only one so do be aware of that...the rental companies have told me that more than one of their customers have ran out of fuel out in that desert!

Only other real caution is I highly recommend a long range radar detector like a Uniden R3. Park rangers aren’t common but if one happens to come around a corner with his radar on, he’s going to nab you. Corsa rally 2018 moved through there and a 720S crashed and got totalled, which heated up the enforcement there, although might have died down by now. Since the speed limit is ridiculously low at 50mph, you’ll likely get a hefty ticket if caught.

Don’t drive aggressively when you actually enter Valley of Fire. Tons of tourists and blind hills. Just take it slow and enjoy the sights.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
I am very similar with the area. It’s one of my most frequented driving routes. Take route 167 through lake mead recreational area. It connects valley of fire to Hoover dam. Amazing condition scenic roads with little to no traffic. It’s mostly sweeper turns and medium sized straights. Lots of legal passing zones if needed. Also great visibility which adds a lot of safety too. A 23 gallon fuel tank should last the whole ride, but there is a gas station at Echo Point midway. It’s the only one so do be aware of that...the rental companies have told me that more than one of their customers have ran out of fuel out in that desert!

Only other real caution is I highly recommend a long range radar detector like a Uniden R3. Park rangers aren’t common but if one happens to come around a corner with his radar on, he’s going to nab you. Corsa rally 2018 moved through there and a 720S crashed and got totalled, which heated up the enforcement there, although might have died down by now. Since the speed limit is ridiculously low at 50mph, you’ll likely get a hefty ticket if caught.

Don’t drive aggressively when you actually enter Valley of Fire. Tons of tourists and blind hills. Just take it slow and enjoy the sights.
Thank u for all that information.

Quick Reply: Advice on Valley of Fire day trip