Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2 GT3RS vs .2GT3 Who wins in a roll race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
20hp from the get go plus ram air. The ram air on the RS we know helps quite a bit so the HP gap gets larger the faster you're going and that's also why you never see a GT3 pulling on an RS even at higher speeds and even with the extra downforce.
Hmmm, I haven't seen many vids where speed continues to very high speeds (would be necessary to see the full effect of ram-air and aero drag). But remember that the GT3 also has ram-air scoops on the rear deck (if not Touring). I admit that RS has better ram air, but I bet the difference in HP is very small and only really noticeable at very high speeds. Also, the big rear wing on the RS should slow the car MUCH more than the little bit of extra ram-air effect can offset (beyond the differences between the engines when the cars are not traveling fast).

Aero Drag is a much bigger deal than HP at high speed. Mathematically, it's a Cube function. So to go 2 times faster with a given amount of drag, you need 8 times as much HP...

I know Trakcar says at the faster tracks, the .1 GT3 would beat him on the straights with his .1 RS (when the RS was rated 25hp and 4% torque higher), because of the extra aero drag...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:17 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 348 Posts

Could it be the PCCB's on the RS vs. Iron brakes on the GT3?

Do we know if that's worth any difference on a pull between to similar GT3's with different brakes?
Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
In theory you're correct, but since you have no data to back up your claim (sorry if I missed it) it's nothing more than speculation. What does noticeably higher mean? 5%? 10% 25%? Is the e-diff fluid pressure always the same, or is it less in a straight line after launching? You very well may be right, I'm just not sure there is enough data to support your "significant" claim.
I'm very sceptical on the parasitic losses on the PDK, until i see some comparable dyno figures taken at the same time in identical conditions..I'm guessing its no more than 1-2% which makes sense as there's only a 1mph higher top speed with the 37lbs lighter manual.People seem to compare a PDK with an auto.A PDK is a manual box with a computer operated twin clutch connecting to the engine..A proper torque converter auto has no clutch and no direct mechanical connection between gearbox and engine..
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Grant we need to go to Bandimere. .1 vs .2 GT3. PDK vs Manual. Let me know when you are game and we will get some video. If I get flogged, that is fine. Love the car regardless!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I'm very sceptical on the parasitic losses on the PDK, until i see some comparable dyno figures taken at the same time in identical conditions..I'm guessing its no more than 1-2% which makes sense as there's only a 1mph higher top speed with the 37lbs lighter manual.People seem to compare a PDK with an auto.A PDK is a manual box with a computer operated twin clutch connecting to the engine..A proper torque converter auto has no clutch and no direct mechanical connection between gearbox and engine..
A couple issues with this post. The 1 mph difference is not a fair comparison, since the gearing is quite different between PDK 7th gear and Manual 6th. The difference may have been greater with equal gearing. Next, additional weight (37 pounds in this case) does not affect top speed - it only affects how long it takes to get there. The relevant variables for top speed are power (at the wheels, which is affected by things like gearing and drivetrain losses), rolling resistance (no difference) and aero drag (no difference). If you search, you will see that there is a firm pattern between PDK and Manual dyno runs with Manual indicating more than 2% (10hp) better efficiency.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
Could it be the PCCB's on the RS vs. Iron brakes on the GT3?

Do we know if that's worth any difference on a pull between to similar GT3's with different brakes?
This should account for some of the difference although only minimal..The PCCB has 37lbs less rotational mass on the wheels.Since all the power is transferred to the wheels directly and its the wheels that take the car with it, then reduced rotational mass to twist has to make a slight difference..
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Grant we need to go to Bandimere. .1 vs .2 GT3. PDK vs Manual. Let me know when you are game and we will get some video. If I get flogged, that is fine. Love the car regardless!
I would do it, if not for my will to preserve my clutch

Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If you wait a couple of months I’ll be able to join.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buteo

You'll beat us both

Might be interesting to compare speeds at end of straight at HPR. My best so far is indicated 140mph (137 on Harry's GPS lap timer). Not a perfect test (if not same entry speed and braking point), but still interesting.

Speed is higher than 1/4 mile at Bandimere, so you start to see influence of aero a bit more.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll beat us both

Might be interesting to compare speeds at end of straight at HPR. My best so far is indicated 140mph (137 on Harry's GPS lap timer). Not a perfect test (if not same entry speed and braking point), but still interesting.
The gt4 would touch 135 on the dash with Dundon headers/iPD plenum/cobb/Akrapovic system. Not a car we are talking about- but it woke up a bit with some mods. Stock it was close to 130.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

The gt4 would touch 135 on the dash with Dundon headers/iPD plenum/cobb/Akrapovic system. Not a car we are talking about- but it woke up a bit with some mods. Stock it was close to 130.
Gaining 5 mph is a big improvement. Definitely means you increased power a meaningful amount

I had RE10 brake pads and Endless fluid on my GT4 which gave me the confidence to brake later in the GT4 - just stock brakes on GT3 so far...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Dual clutches do have their advantages lol.

That would be a good one. .1 GT3 vs .2 RS.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
20hp from the get go plus ram air. The ram air on the RS we know helps quite a bit so the HP gap gets larger the faster you're going and that's also why you never see a GT3 pulling on an RS even at higher speeds and even with the extra downforce.
It looks like it has around 20-30 rwhp more vs 20 crank hp advantage for the RS as Porsche states. Would love to see a .2 pdk gt3 run agaisnt a .2 manual gt3. What were the speeds? 50-150? Thanks for the vids.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdonger
It looks like it has around 20-30 rwhp more vs 20 crank hp advantage for the RS as Porsche states.

If the GT3 is under-rated and if the RS makes 30hp crank more (let's estimate 540hp crank or more), then they are really pumping out lots of hp per litre (more than reigning champ, 458 Speciale which has advantage of smaller cylinders)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:15 PM
AutoQuest MS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgroer
I don't know if this is a helpful datapoint in this discussion or not, but here is my GT2RS vs a 2010 Honda Odyssey Ex. The driver is a friend of mine and was inexperienced with both racing odysseys and launching a GT2RS. I think he got nervous and missed the first shift - he wasn't used to how quickly it hit redline but GT2RS still eeked out the win. One important note - the odyssey had steel brakes and the GT2RS has PCCB.

https://youtu.be/b0z8erabot0
HAHAHAHA

Quick Reply: .2 GT3RS vs .2GT3 Who wins in a roll race?