Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1099298-orthojoes-gt3rs-thread-ed-and-the-end-of-an-era-for-me.html)

MaxLTV 09-22-2018 02:37 PM

Congrats, Joe - awesome experience. Munich is one of my favorite cities as well. It's like Vancouver in many ways but also in the middle of Europe. Glad you like the car. I think you will need to get it to full 10/10 at a familiar track to really notice any difference from .2 GT3 - there aero and rose-jointed suspension should come into play. The only thing I disagree on is Spa - to really love it, you also need to drive it with reckless abandon. And you can, because it's so much safer that Ring or any of the Bay Area tracks. There is nothing like gradually unwinding in through the second half of Pouhon (T12 double-apex left) with throttle pinned and hoping that the curve your car can hold will end within the track limits. And if it does not, it's still fine - there is plenty of rather safe paved run off most of the time. Too bad you did not get the track to yourself enough to fully appreciate it. But one more reason to go back. I'm going back even without Euro delivery - just could not resist, so just rented a car.

96redLT4 09-22-2018 02:40 PM

One of the best car delivery reviews I have ever seen! Congrats Joe and enjoy the ride. I too work all the time and have never been to Europe or traveled much. Your wife sounds a lot like mine. I hope we'll get a chance to do something like this someday before I am too old.

Jim

Akunob 09-22-2018 02:54 PM

Great write up for an awesome trip! Loved the insights your shared, much appreciated. Great videos as well. Epic trip!

Ducati1199 09-22-2018 03:59 PM

Great write up Joe. After all that discussion we had on PPF and you get those chips. Bummer but not end of the world. Remember the good parts.

montoya 09-22-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hams955 (Post 15308990)
Congratulations on your purchase and more importantly on the experience. I would love to do the same but have three small children with 6 being the oldest. We just don't have any help to even attempt a trip like this.

Agreed with your points regarding the acquisition stress. I was originally slated for an August delivery and voluntarily pushed my allocation back to October hoping for PTS. Of course, we all later found out that didn't happen. Whatever; give me a car. I think this new .2 3RS will fare really well over time and should provide years of entertainment. Plus, the flip game to get to the car is taxing. I know my wife is sick of hearing about what is the next P car coming to the house.

Enjoy in health and report back your thoughts with regard to setup and how it differs on your familiar tracks. If it follows like the .1 GT3 to .1 RS I suspect you will find the car has a lot more turn-in and faster mid corner speeds.

One last request - when it gets home, check your rear wheel arches on the leading edge. .1 3RS's would tear them up badly on track. My guess is they alleviated that with a move from rubber bushings to bearings on the suspension. Less deflection.

Congrats again man!

- Chris.

Agree as well, the Porsche game is a little tiring- I think I expressed as much to you Joe when we were at Sonoma. Awesome write up though! I'm just 7 days behind you and still on our tour. Your story about your GT3 RS delivery coming sooner was similar to my experience with the GS Corvette, but eventually because of PTS delays I was able to enjoy it for a year. Bummer about the rock chips, but at least you got an awesome track day at the ring with the right environment. It always seems like something comes up where you're scrambling on these remote deliveries and you were tight for time, so you did the best you could. I've seen several LG RS's since arriving here and they look fantastic, good choice and perfect for you. Enjoy it for a long time, and I hope to see you on track at an SCCA race soon!

Originally Posted by carrering (Post 15309644)
cool. i parked next to you when i dropped off my GT3 in frankfurt.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...76f23f6f20.jpg

Haha! Marked as delivered!

Needsdecaf 09-22-2018 04:39 PM

Congrats on the purchase, the trip and the experience. Having been to Munich and other spots in Bavaria, ED is still on my bucket list. Such an amazing part of the world for sure.

The write up was fantastic too! Really captured the experience. Thanks for taking the time to put it together, I know from experience it isn’t easy. Videos were great too! Did Apex do the first one with the rolling shots?

911therapy 09-22-2018 05:02 PM

great write up Joe and glad you had a blast on the trip...

I thought I had read most of your trackbuild journal, but I must have missed what you said about PCCB or carbon ceramics in general? You said your instructor said the pCCB were worthless, what was his/your reasoning? I would think they would work great at the Ring - with the ony downside being replacement cost

orthojoe 09-22-2018 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D (Post 15309222)
Just an awesome write-up. Really appreciate you sharing this detailed experience.

I am on a flight right now and this made me want to turn the plane around and take out my GT3.

I wonder if and by how much faster the .2 RS will be compared to the .2 GT3 around your favorite track

Thanks, man. I'm assuming it will be 1 second faster, but let's find out!

Originally Posted by kyrocks (Post 15309233)

You need to do it. I have 7 kids. Youngest is 2. I’ve taken the whole family to Europe several times. I don’t have any family here.
I flew my in-laws from another country to watch my kids and did euro delivery for my PTS GT3. Best experience ever! Loved Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. It was such a great experience that I signed up for it again with my hopes for an RS.
Travel and experiencing other cultures and countries makes people better and more open minded in my opinion.

I agree with Joe. No real interest in future cars from Porsche than the RS. The games and lies are exhausting and I have no more interest at this point. I will enjoy the awesome cars I have.

Yup! Do whatever you can do to make it happen. It's worth doing at least once!
There does appear to be a lot of us who are tired of the BS. Maybe someday it will be as simple as ordering directly from Porsche. You are put into a queue. If your number is called, great. If not, they should have made more.

Originally Posted by robmypro (Post 15309236)
Just wow Joe. Trip of a lifetime!

Great driving. You were pushing pretty hard considering a new car, an RS, and not knowing the traffic that well. Great job. Car looks awesome. Great spec.

Thanks, my man! It was funny, during my tour of Berlin, we visited the site of Hitler's bunker they mentioned the movie, 'Downfall". In the back of my mind, I wondered if the people of Germany find the hitler videos funny or not. LOL

Originally Posted by hf1 (Post 15309303)
Got it. I was never fan of that circus myself which is why I ended up with a similar set-up: SPB for racing and occasional DE and a long-term manual GT3 for back-roads. Only thing missing is a Boxster for open-top back-roads.

Totally agree! Someday I think I'm going to get myself another 987 boxster. I still miss mine.

Originally Posted by rsierra (Post 15309331)
sweet, if you ever sell the car you can say the rock chips came from the 'ring. :cheers:

Yeah, that is what I told myself too. LOL

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15309359)
Congrats!

Interesting that your initial impressions are that compared to the .2 GT3, the car doesn't feel wholly different. I'm betting that will change once you're on familiar turf and get some laps in on local tracks.

Only one way to find out! I would be surprised if there was more than a one second difference though. Although one second is substantial...

Originally Posted by Dalema (Post 15309463)
Thanks for sharing your experience with us - looks like you had a fantastic time! Car looks awesome!!

I still have just the greatest memories from an ED two years ago in Stuttgart. I got the car, my wife got a trip through Switzerland to Italy - win win.

is the business airfare discount a new thing. I used miles so never looked into that?

I have no idea. This was my first ED trip! LOL! I'm just glad it was a benefit. My first time in business class. I'm spoiled rotten now!

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15309538)
Thanks for sharing Joe, I always look forward to these recaps after doing my first Euro Delivery earlier this year. Seeing the pictures/reading the stories always bring back cherished memories for me, your RS looks great! I have a few nicks/chips on my paint as well since I didn't even do the Trakwrap for my GT3, IMO all it is is a sign of a great time. Got paint correction/PPF done back in LA after which did a great job of minimizing them, but they are still there if you look closely enough reminding me of my awesome delivery experience.

I saw the same R in the Porsche Museum and sat in it as well, what's funny is 5 months earlier the bolsters were not that chewed up. The unlocked cars there take a beating from the kids running/jumping in with excitement :)

It's a shame Porsche makes such amazing cars and offers the euro delivery experience when the GT cars themselves are painful to get for most people. Wish it wasn't the case, but we can't have it all...

Safe travels back home!!

I wonder how many people have sat in that car over 5 months. Must be a LOT! LOL. Yes, it's too bad the buying process is so random and complicated. It's a shame.

Originally Posted by carrering (Post 15309644)
cool. i parked next to you when i dropped off my GT3 in frankfurt.

No way! We just missed each other! I guess we'll be on the same boat ride back together then! Is your 3 a gelbgrun?

Originally Posted by MaxLTV (Post 15309654)
Congrats, Joe - awesome experience. Munich is one of my favorite cities as well. It's like Vancouver in many ways but also in the middle of Europe. Glad you like the car. I think you will need to get it to full 10/10 at a familiar track to really notice any difference from .2 GT3 - there aero and rose-jointed suspension should come into play. The only thing I disagree on is Spa - to really love it, you also need to drive it with reckless abandon. And you can, because it's so much safer that Ring or any of the Bay Area tracks. There is nothing like gradually unwinding in through the second half of Pouhon (T12 double-apex left) with throttle pinned and hoping that the curve your car can hold will end within the track limits. And if it does not, it's still fine - there is plenty of rather safe paved run off most of the time. Too bad you did not get the track to yourself enough to fully appreciate it. But one more reason to go back. I'm going back even without Euro delivery - just could not resist, so just rented a car.

Maybe I got spooked by the track day organizer. They mentioned all of the accidents and wrecked cars over the years and even mentioned that someone DIED at Spa the week before. To me, it looks like if you are going to go fast through Eau Rouge, there is no room for error and your line has to be perfect, which takes some time to build up to. But that wasn't my issue. Obviously the ring is even more dangerous. The sheer speed and crazy bumps and jumps throughout the ring were what won me over. There is nothing else like the ring. I'd love to drive both tracks again with my spec miata to really test the limits at reasonable speeds.

I have to say, the track day participants at both of the events I went to were all really well behaved. No drama. No hold ups. Courteous passing. The amount of cars that were jammed into Spa would have been an absolute **** show in the US, but it wasn't over there. There are definitely more dbags in the USA

https://image.ibb.co/kk8mz9/IMG_E2744.jpg

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 (Post 15309657)
One of the best car delivery reviews I have ever seen! Congrats Joe and enjoy the ride. I too work all the time and have never been to Europe or traveled much. Your wife sounds a lot like mine. I hope we'll get a chance to do something like this someday before I am too old.

Jim

Jim, when the time arrives and the opportunity presents itself, make sure to go for it. It's worth it.

Originally Posted by Ducati1199 (Post 15309780)
Great write up Joe. After all that discussion we had on PPF and you get those chips. Bummer but not end of the world. Remember the good parts.

LOL. Now you know why I'm not super picky about PPF. It's all gonna get jacked up anyway. I'll find a way to repair it. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect to me. It's not art. It's a car. ;)

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 15309828)
Agree as well, the Porsche game is a little tiring- I think I expressed as much to you Joe when we were at Sonoma. Awesome write up though! I'm just 7 days behind you and still on our tour. Your story about your GT3 RS delivery coming sooner was similar to my experience with the GS Corvette, but eventually because of PTS delays I was able to enjoy it for a year. Bummer about the rock chips, but at least you got an awesome track day at the ring with the right environment. It always seems like something comes up where you're scrambling on these remote deliveries and you were tight for time, so you did the best you could. I've seen several LG RS's since arriving here and they look fantastic, good choice and perfect for you. Enjoy it for a long time, and I hope to see you on track at an SCCA race soon!

Enjoy your trip, my friend. I know you will have just as much fun as I did! We should form a 'sick of the porsche allocations games' club! Good luck at the runoffs. I'll probably be there to watch. My mechanic is going for the T2 win. He rarely loses! My season is done, but it ended well. Season champ in ITA and 3rd place for SMT! Looking forward to next year!

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 15309839)
Congrats on the purchase, the trip and the experience. Having been to Munich and other spots in Bavaria, ED is still on my bucket list. Such an amazing part of the world for sure.

The write up was fantastic too! Really captured the experience. Thanks for taking the time to put it together, I know from experience it isn’t easy. Videos were great too! Did Apex do the first one with the rolling shots?

Yes, apex did the rolling video as part of the package I got from them. It was hilarious following around a hatchback with the photographer hanging out the back of an open hatchback taking his shots. Another experience to remember!

robmypro 09-22-2018 05:22 PM

Haha Joe. Yeah, not sure anyone who speaks German gets the same enjoyment out of those videos!

orthojoe 09-22-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 911therapy (Post 15309883)
great write up Joe and glad you had a blast on the trip...

I thought I had read most of your trackbuild journal, but I must have missed what you said about PCCB or carbon ceramics in general? You said your instructor said the pCCB were worthless, what was his/your reasoning? I would think they would work great at the Ring - with the ony downside being replacement cost

Oh I've been sour on PCCB ever since they delaminated on my boxster spyder after 7 days and ended up on my garage wall as a clock. The factory driver agreed. The ring instructor/racer agreed. If you track, red brakes.
No performance benefit. No longevity benefit. PeteVB did the calculations and the weight benefit is the equivalent of weight difference you would feel driving on new tires vs worn tires. Only real world benefit is less dust and they look cool, which I don't care about. Have you seen the chips on my car? LOL!

From a PSDS instructor I talked to 3 years ago

Chris3963 09-22-2018 05:47 PM

Great write up. Agree about RSR. They promote a premium experience and charge a premium price but, IMO, its one of the poorest track day experiences I have ever had at Spa. They let a zillion cars on the track with hugely varying levels of speed and talent. The day I attended there were Renault Clios and Minis mixing it up with a Cup car and a GT3 AMG car. At one point the Cup car went 3 wide to 2 cars. Crazy. I will not attend one of their events ever again. But I still love Spa. And your lap time for a Spa Virgin is very, very good.

911dev 09-22-2018 05:56 PM

Congratulations on a wicked ride! Great choice on color.

Great write up and reviews. Enjoyable reading.

Targa Tim 09-22-2018 06:21 PM

Big Congrats Joe! Amazing trip of a lifetime. Good info on ED.

Larry Cable 09-22-2018 07:44 PM

thought I'd add a couple of pictures from my ED in August...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e9e126346c.jpg
Eau Rouge/Radillion
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...50bb9c0041.jpg
BriedScheid Bridge

JPMD 09-22-2018 07:59 PM

Epic thread!!!