Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It was coming from the PDK venting/breather tubes. A very slow leak that was probably going on since the car was in Germany. It only occurs with hard driving. My mechanic says leaking from transmission vent lines happens in the cup cars. Nothing to do for now and dealer gave me the car back. I'm not supposed to say more than that for now. No fluids seen yet after another day at the track.

2nd day on the Dunlops and the car was running consistent 1:34s at laguna. Outer edges of front and rear tires are wearing and insides look barely worn. Tires have one day left based on this wear pattern. Stock camber from the factory was -1.5 on all 4 corners. I'm a glutton for punishment and had my mechanic increase it to -2.5 on all 4 corners. Let's see what happens with those numbers on Dunlops.
Thanks for the update! I will get dunlops next then. Sounds like with slightly increased camber they should give at least 3 good days.

BTW, my PDK on .1 GT3 had the same symptoms, but a little stronger leak (also only when driven hard). They replaced an oil pan first. That did not help, so they replaced the PDK.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I drove a Lizard yesterday and probably today at Sebring testing setup on Hoosiers.
The handeling wasn’t there yet, but man, it pulls like a freight train. I was surprised!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

Hey Joe,

Great driving at Laguna! Given those times I'm curious if you feel like the lap belt is holding you back much? Any plans to put a harness bar & belts in the new RS?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Good feedback on the Dunlops, Joe! It seemed like blasphemy when i was singing their praise a year or so ago, and it sounds like the new ones are even better. To me they just felt like they had more grip than the cup 2s. Tires didn’t last as long, but the car had a more go cart feel to it. I will have to try the new ones to see how they feel. Btw, do they have the same sidewall change that the cup 2s now have? I don’t care for the look of the N1 cup 2s.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Thanks for the update! I will get dunlops next then. Sounds like with slightly increased camber they should give at least 3 good days.

BTW, my PDK on .1 GT3 had the same symptoms, but a little stronger leak (also only when driven hard). They replaced an oil pan first. That did not help, so they replaced the PDK.
Was it leaking from the vent lines?

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I drove a Lizard yesterday and probably today at Sebring testing setup on Hoosiers.
The handeling wasn’t there yet, but man, it pulls like a freight train. I was surprised!
I liked the handling from the factory. Will see what happens with some more camber on these Dunlops.

Originally Posted by RDCR
Hey Joe,

Great driving at Laguna! Given those times I'm curious if you feel like the lap belt is holding you back much? Any plans to put a harness bar & belts in the new RS?
Nah. I don't think the lap belts hold me back. I still have my Cantrell bar from the .1. Might install it one of these days. Race season starts soon, so doubtful I'll get it done before then.

Originally Posted by robmypro
Good feedback on the Dunlops, Joe! It seemed like blasphemy when i was singing their praise a year or so ago, and it sounds like the new ones are even better. To me they just felt like they had more grip than the cup 2s. Tires didn’t last as long, but the car had a more go cart feel to it. I will have to try the new ones to see how they feel. Btw, do they have the same sidewall change that the cup 2s now have? I don’t care for the look of the N1 cup 2s.
I think cup2s on their first session are faster, but after that the Dunlops start to take over. The Dunlops are definitely faster than cup2 after one day. Waiting to see if they are still as fast on the third day, but rain keeps ruining my plans. The dunlops have the same rim protector on the sidewall as the cup2
Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, did you witness the same wind buffeting problems on the RS as on the GT3? Just got my RS and am wondering if I need to install my AWE wind diffuser.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by urban2k
Joe, did you witness the same wind buffeting problems on the RS as on the GT3? Just got my RS and am wondering if I need to install my AWE wind diffuser.
Unfortunately, I did. I installed the awe diffuser. Other option is to leave the window up about 1/2 inch
Old 01-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you trailer your RS to Laguna / Thunderhill or just drive it there?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thinker23
Do you trailer your RS to Laguna / Thunderhill or just drive it there?
I have a trailer now, so I use it to tow the RS
Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yup we had to install the wind deflectors, we were worried the gorilla would go flying!

Joe, the new 19RS seems very hard spring for Sebring so we’re seeing if softer is better benchmarking my car with even stiffer rates and KWMR 3 way adjustable and OEM wheels VS 19”.

Stock springs with 20/21” it jumps off the track for sure.

Im sure it’s not an issue on any other tracks.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Yup we had to install the wind deflectors, we were worried the gorilla would go flying!

Joe, the new 19RS seems very hard spring for Sebring so we’re seeing if softer is better benchmarking my car with even stiffer rates and KWMR 3 way adjustable and OEM wheels VS 19”.

Stock springs with 20/21” it jumps off the track for sure.

Im sure it’s not an issue on any other tracks.

Got it. I think I recall that you leave the suspension on the normal setting and not firm with your cars. I've always used firm here. Someday I'll check out Sebring!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I got it all sorted.
Tuesday open track, all day David Murry Coaching
Wednesday same, all day David Murry Coaching
www.davidmurrytrackdays.com

Thursday - Sunday
PCA www.48hoursatsebring.com

And bring the usual suspects..

Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Oh that's cruel.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^^ Yes, I'm looking at you Chris..
Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Haha. Chris and mooty have retired from the scene. I'll make it out someday!

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me