Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:52 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for sharing Joe, really enjoyed your adventure.
Jack
Old 09-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Just an awesome write-up. Really appreciate you sharing this detailed experience.

I am on a flight right now and this made me want to turn the plane around and take out my GT3.

I wonder if and by how much faster the .2 RS will be compared to the .2 GT3 around your favorite track
Old 09-22-2018, 11:03 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Congratulations on your purchase and more importantly on the experience. I would love to do the same but have three small children with 6 being the oldest. We just don't have any help to even attempt a trip like this.

Agreed with your points regarding the acquisition stress. I was originally slated for an August delivery and voluntarily pushed my allocation back to October hoping for PTS. Of course, we all later found out that didn't happen. Whatever; give me a car. I think this new .2 3RS will fare really well over time and should provide years of entertainment. Plus, the flip game to get to the car is taxing. I know my wife is sick of hearing about what is the next P car coming to the house.

Enjoy in health and report back your thoughts with regard to setup and how it differs on your familiar tracks. If it follows like the .1 GT3 to .1 RS I suspect you will find the car has a lot more turn-in and faster mid corner speeds.

One last request - when it gets home, check your rear wheel arches on the leading edge. .1 3RS's would tear them up badly on track. My guess is they alleviated that with a move from rubber bushings to bearings on the suspension. Less deflection.

Congrats again man!

- Chris.
You need to do it. I have 7 kids. Youngest is 2. I’ve taken the whole family to Europe several times. I don’t have any family here.
I flew my in-laws from another country to watch my kids and did euro delivery for my PTS GT3. Best experience ever! Loved Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. It was such a great experience that I signed up for it again with my hopes for an RS.
Travel and experiencing other cultures and countries makes people better and more open minded in my opinion.

I agree with Joe. No real interest in future cars from Porsche than the RS. The games and lies are exhausting and I have no more interest at this point. I will enjoy the awesome cars I have.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:05 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Just wow Joe. Trip of a lifetime!

Great driving. You were pushing pretty hard considering a new car, an RS, and not knowing the track that well. Great job. Car looks awesome. Great spec.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The end of the 'circus' of trying to get the latest and greatest GT car. It's a game I'm tired of at this point. I'm totally happy with racing and my RS for the long term to track in the off season with my buddies who I haven't convinced to join me racing... yet. LOL
Got it. I was never fan of that circus myself which is why I ended up with a similar set-up: SPB for racing and occasional DE and a long-term manual GT3 for back-roads. Only thing missing is a Boxster for open-top back-roads.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

sweet, if you ever sell the car you can say the rock chips came from the 'ring.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Congrats!

Interesting that your initial impressions are that compared to the .2 GT3, the car doesn't feel wholly different. I'm betting that will change once you're on familiar turf and get some laps in on local tracks.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:20 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Enjoyed the read and the reference to the Nurburgring video series on YouTube. Agree that the PCCBs aren't the the right brakes for the track. For everything else, I love PCCBs.

Oh, and I think your car is "run in." Enjoy the wild car in Lizard Green, which I think looks great.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I forgot to mention - I liked your comment from the factory driver who told you not to worry about break in. Good point there in that the motor is ready to roll.

These cars are meant to be enjoyed not pampered.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:49 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Awesome write up! Congrats on the RS!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:07 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience with us - looks like you had a fantastic time! Car looks awesome!!

I still have just the greatest memories from an ED two years ago in Stuttgart. I got the car, my wife got a trip through Switzerland to Italy - win win.

is the business airfare discount a new thing. I used miles so never looked into that?

Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Incredible!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:46 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Thanks for sharing Joe, I always look forward to these recaps after doing my first Euro Delivery earlier this year. Seeing the pictures/reading the stories always bring back cherished memories for me, your RS looks great! I have a few nicks/chips on my paint as well since I didn't even do the Trakwrap for my GT3, IMO all it is is a sign of a great time. Got paint correction/PPF done back in LA after which did a great job of minimizing them, but they are still there if you look closely enough reminding me of my awesome delivery experience.

I saw the same R in the Porsche Museum and sat in it as well, what's funny is 5 months earlier the bolsters were not that chewed up. The unlocked cars there take a beating from the kids running/jumping in with excitement

It's a shame Porsche makes such amazing cars and offers the euro delivery experience when the GT cars themselves are painful to get for most people. Wish it wasn't the case, but we can't have it all...

Safe travels back home!!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

There is nothing better than traveling, perhaps other than driving a good car in a good track. You've got both ! Enjoy he memories and the car going forward thanks for sharing a professional quality text.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:33 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

cool. i parked next to you when i dropped off my GT3 in frankfurt.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me