Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:59 AM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures. Was a great read to start my Saturday morning. Congratulations on a stellar car.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 AM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Great write up. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

So cool Joe...I read your whole report..well done!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I don’t understand buying new Porsche’s and not doing ED..
Mine will be a challenge in the middle of winter on Summer tires!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:41 AM
PierreTT
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Great feedback! Makes me want to do ED...
Old 09-22-2018, 09:44 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful new RS! Enjoyed reading your write up. What was the “end of an era” referring to?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

amazing story and great pictures, what camera? you really packed in a lot of adventure, thanks for sharing with us! Id love to see more
Old 09-22-2018, 10:06 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Doesn’t look like you slept much. Awesome to see an enthusiast actually get out and drive these great cars instead of just going to C&C after removing the bubble wrap.

Porsche should take note that when they give an allocation to a person like this they can get this kind of exposure for their brand instead of watching the flipping debacle and the dealer games being played.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:10 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Heartburn chips. But, great story for when you’re old.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:11 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Really terrific write up, draws reader into your experience.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Great write up Joe

i am leaving for Zuffenhausen delivery in 5 weeks!

my car is the same spec as yours except (gasp) PCCB’s (have Giro disc replacement steels from GT3)

Pictures are superb-professional quality 👍🏻
Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. What an exceptional trip!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 AM
///Armin
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow AMAZING! I had not idea it's this much fun Thanks for taking the time to write this, will make a lot of us do ED now.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed your write up about the trip and car. Well done! ��
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, everyone. I'm happy you guys liked it and spent the time to read through it.

Originally Posted by RobertR1
That’s awesome and importantly, good job on leaving the US and exploring more of the world. The first time I did it, I became hooked on traveling and soaking up new culture. I find the same thrill in traveling to a new place as I do of a new track.

Yeah, I was never much of a traveler before. Now I understand what I've been missing out on!

Originally Posted by disden
Awesome write up; glad you could make the trip. I’m thrilled with LG as well, far exceeded my expectations. My wife sat out this current ED visit, she wasnt too interested in hanging out at race tracks all week.
Have her talk to my wife. She had a great time and kept herself busy with other great things while I was on the track. She wants to do it again someday!

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle
What an awesome trip!!

Your lap on the ring looked exceptional for your first time, you can tell you have natural talent! I have raced it and have hundreds of laps and still feel like I don't know it 100%. It's very challenging, and yes thats what makes it fun!!
Thanks, man. This video series really helped me from getting totally lost.

Yup. The challenge of the ring is the allure. I'd love to learn how to drive it flat out in my spec miata.

Originally Posted by jo_ker
nice read! thx for posting! and pls keep the thread alive!

will be long two month.
but at least you can drive it during „winter“ in CA.
Yes, there are a lot of negative thing about Kalifornia, but the weather isn't one of them. LOL.

Originally Posted by Hams955
Congratulations on your purchase and more importantly on the experience. I would love to do the same but have three small children with 6 being the oldest. We just don't have any help to even attempt a trip like this.

Agreed with your points regarding the acquisition stress. I was originally slated for an August delivery and voluntarily pushed my allocation back to October hoping for PTS. Of course, we all later found out that didn't happen. Whatever; give me a car. I think this new .2 3RS will fare really well over time and should provide years of entertainment. Plus, the flip game to get to the car is taxing. I know my wife is sick of hearing about what is the next P car coming to the house.

Enjoy in health and report back your thoughts with regard to setup and how it differs on your familiar tracks. If it follows like the .1 GT3 to .1 RS I suspect you will find the car has a lot more turn-in and faster mid corner speeds.

One last request - when it gets home, check your rear wheel arches on the leading edge. .1 3RS's would tear them up badly on track. My guess is they alleviated that with a move from rubber bushings to bearings on the suspension. Less deflection.

Congrats again man!

- Chris.
Thanks, will check and report back for you!

Originally Posted by Mika911
Was a pleasure to meet you Joe. When I am in California next I hope you can show me one of the local tracks. Enjoy the car.
Thank you so much for giving me a ride and showing me how it's done! You're an impressive driver! Smooth and fast, which is so much easier said than done. You gave me the confidence to probe things a bit more. It was so nice to meet you and footsoldier that day. Please, when you guys come to California, let me know and I'll make sure to help you guys out.

Originally Posted by hf1
Congrats on the beautiful new RS! Enjoyed reading your write up. What was the “end of an era” referring to?
The end of the 'circus' of trying to get the latest and greatest GT car. It's a game I'm tired of at this point. I'm totally happy with racing and my RS for the long term to track in the off season with my buddies who I haven't convinced to join me racing... yet. LOL

Originally Posted by dark knight
amazing story and great pictures, what camera? you really packed in a lot of adventure, thanks for sharing with us! Id love to see more
The photos I shot were just with the iphoneX. The video is with the sony action cams. I love my sony cams.

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Great write up Joe

i am leaving for Zuffenhausen delivery in 5 weeks!

my car is the same spec as yours except (gasp) PCCB’s (have Giro disc replacement steels from GT3)

Pictures are superb-professional quality 👍🏻
Thanks. You're gonna have a GREAT time. Guaranteed.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me