Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:03 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome trip Joe. RS ED is my dream. It's no RS, but I did have a chance to drive the green hell in a BMW 120 earlier this year. Such an awesome track, I could easily spend a month in Germany driving it for 2 hours every evening!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up Joe, thanks for sharing, hoping to do ED one day.

Just wondering if the front license plate was drilled or stick on (and if a requirement in Europe to drive off the lot) as I noticed the cars in the garage all around do not have front plates.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

One of the best ED documentaries yet! Thx for sharing.

Definitely doing this if I ever get my GT3 RS allocation next round (992).
Old 09-24-2018, 12:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Congrats! Thanks for the detailed write up. Really enjoyed reading it and the watching videos. I hope you give us a report out when you get her back to your home tracks.
That is the plan!

Originally Posted by Serge944
I could easily spend a month in Germany driving it for 2 hours every evening!
I agree!

Originally Posted by Frenzyy
Great write up Joe, thanks for sharing, hoping to do ED one day.

Just wondering if the front license plate was drilled or stick on (and if a requirement in Europe to drive off the lot) as I noticed the cars in the garage all around do not have front plates.
They stuck it on to the front bumper with velcro. No drilling.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:00 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Great write up, Joe. Enjoyed the track video and great driving.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:53 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Agree with everyone here! Congrats Joe on a great acquisition. Your write up just may have convinced my wife to tag along if I should do ED. Thank you. Hope to run not you one day if I get down to track in the Bay Area.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome writeup and pics, congrats on the amazing RS!

As a german, it really makes me proud to read you enjoyed your stay so much!

Peter
Old 09-24-2018, 06:58 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

thank you Joe for the great write up! And for the comments on RSR! I was close to book an event with them in the past, so I will not do next year...

At Spa, racetrack4you was Ok, they shared the track with a Lotus 7 Group and splitted it up in two groups (Lotus vs rest of the world :-) ). Not very crowed (I guess 40 cars in our group) but not to much guidiance and support. Not sure if I would book with them again.

Friends did Spa with trackdays.de a couple of times and where quite happy with the experience. At the ring, I did now 4 times with their own driving school, called Nordschleife XL. This is excellent, very well organized, can support your view on them.

At Bilster Berg, GT3 Fahrertrainigs orginized and event for my Porsche dealer, will not do again. They mixed street and race cars, which is for cars with German number plate a big problem regrding insurance. So a no no go for me (on top of the creazy speed difference....)

reading this can‘t wait to grab the keys of my GT3 and go for a ride... I am in San Francisco this week and would love to have my car here...we may need to setup a cross the pond car sharing program for rennlisters LOL
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Haha Joe. Yeah, not sure anyone who speaks German gets the same enjoyment out of those videos!
Well, I'm not German, but I do speak German. It looses A LOT of "funnyness" because you hear what is actually said. First time I saw such a hitller vid, I thought is was hilarious though. But after a few of those it gets old real fast because you always hear the actors say the exact same thing in German over and over again !
(but that doesn't mean I'm disapproving or complaining)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe awesome review, looks like an awesome time. I still am hoping one day to do this especially since I just came back from Frankfurt and was so close to the ring. I have pccb, coming for my gt3 but was planning to swap them to steel for the track. Thought the calipers were bigger than the steel ones so I opted for them. Maybe just wasted money now....
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ooo, that's a tough one. You're talking to a guy that didn't go on a single trip until both of his kids were over the age of 4 because the torture of dealing with them outweighed the benefits of the vacation! LOL!
I would like to go on an ED trip with my entire family one of these days in a MB Ewagon.
This is what I feared. I think I just have to accept it. I'm used to a bit of travel annually, it's been local for about 3 years aside from some work trips. We did one trip about 2 years ago, conclusion was who's really on vacation?!

Wagons are cool...RS6. MB has a solid contender as well. Not sure they're ideal from a 2 x toddler car seat perspective (similar dimensions to a sedan). That's why I'm getting rid of A6 and going to Cayenne. Bad move on A6, didn't research size of toddler seats.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:08 AM
03BeastCharmer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the sharing and the detailed write up. Looks like a wonderful experience. I did euro delivery and the Ring (not a full track day) on my last BMW, and it's such a better experience that state-side dealership delivery. Except for the 6-8 wk wait to get it back. Congrats and looking forward to reading more impressions once you get it to familiar tracks.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Epic write-up, pictures, and vid. One for the ages.

Thank you for sharing!!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:09 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Joe--epic write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Fun and very informative. The car is stunning and I hope you enjoy it here at home.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Thanks for taking us all there with you Joe! The whole experience sounds like a bucket-list saga for any gearhead, and the car is an unignorable punch in the eye (in the best possible way). Congrats and enjoy!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me