Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika911
Was a pleasure to meet you Joe. When I am in California next I hope you can show me one of the local tracks. Enjoy the car.
what Mika says...
great to see you at Spa - it was a safe bet we’d meet you at the gas station at some point!
nice write up, glad you enjoyed the whole thing,
I also agree with you on the hassle factor/end of an era, but will leave that for another thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Great write up Joe! Love these write ups of ED, thank you for sharing. You have inspired me to do the same. What are your initial impressions on the factory set up and what are your plans for suspension changes? Are you going to raise the rear? How was tire wear with the stock camber? No rubbing on the front or back?
Thanks for allowing all of us on RL to ride along with you.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Fantastic write up, really brought back a lot of memories. You have a great writing style and the videos were well done.
Agree 100%.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Wow, looked like an awesome trip that you enjoyed a lot. I'd love to do an ED trip but I keep getting my GT cars in the dead of winter. haha
Old 09-23-2018, 12:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Great story!! Nice to watch the vids with that fresh RS. I see what you mean about the bumps on track on the high speed portions. Car seemed well composed despite the bumps at high speed.

Now you need to take a 3.5 yr old and 1 yr old on an ED trip and give me ideas to convince the wife. Will need it by next March please. Albeit, Cayenne ED.
Ooo, that's a tough one. You're talking to a guy that didn't go on a single trip until both of his kids were over the age of 4 because the torture of dealing with them outweighed the benefits of the vacation! LOL!
I would like to go on an ED trip with my entire family one of these days in a MB Ewagon.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have always had a good experience with the Pistenclub. They are cheaper but as equally well organised..and their events are full of real enthusiasts and good drivers. They run two groups. Road legal cars and race/slick tyre cars. So you never get crazy things like CUP cars running alongside Minis.

Another good group is Curbstone. They also run two groups to separate road cars from race cars. They are at the top end price wise, but are well organised with good food, etc. And uniquely, each car gets a transponder that keeps track of your lap times. Then in the lounge area they have a couple of big monitors that show the lap times of all the cars in your group for comparison. At the end of each session they then print out all every lap time of every car in your session so you can compare your times to every other car. After the event, they post all the lap times of every car from every session on their website for you to download. Its a nice feature.
Thanks! There you have it. Pistenclub and Curbstone.

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Awesome thread! Any other pics of that black .2 RS with gold rims next to yours?

Some pics of the LG/aurum we drove at the test track

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

what Mika says...
great to see you at Spa - it was a safe bet we’d meet you at the gas station at some point!
nice write up, glad you enjoyed the whole thing,
I also agree with you on the hassle factor/end of an era, but will leave that for another thread

LOL! Good call! I was wondering how I would find you guys in the massive sea of cars at the event. Where do you guys put all of your equipment like tools and jackstands during these events if you didnt use a tow vehicle? In the US when we arrive in the paddock, we unload all of our gear and that spot in the paddock stays our own and we return to the same spot everytime. At the RSR event, people had to just move to wherever space was available. It didn't matter where you parked in the morning. I left a spray bottle out thinking that would 'mark' my spot like in the US, but someone just took my bottle and my spot! LOL!

Again, please let me know if you plan to visit any of the tracks here in Northern California. I'll help facilitate!

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Great write up Joe! Love these write ups of ED, thank you for sharing. You have inspired me to do the same. What are your initial impressions on the factory set up and what are your plans for suspension changes? Are you going to raise the rear? How was tire wear with the stock camber? No rubbing on the front or back?
Thanks for allowing all of us on RL to ride along with you.
Factory setup felt fine to me, but I was rarely at the limit with the car. I think I can count the number of times on one hand that I allowed the car to step out on me. For that reason, I can't really say what kind of changes I would want to make at this time. It certainly didn't have any issues with excess under or oversteer. The car felt really good, but I need to drive it harder on a familiar track to figure out what kind of changes I would make. I didn't notice any rubbing, but I didn't look closely. Tire wear looks similar to my other GT cars. It looks like the rear outer edges are taking a beating, but I've never been able to solve that issue with the cup2s. The tires look like they have one more good track day in them so I will finish them off here at home with factory settings and then decide what to do from there. I will very likely raise the rear as suggested. A buddy of mine who is very fast has done this with all of his GT cars in the past and it works well for him. I've always run factory ride height in the past.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Wow, looked like an awesome trip that you enjoyed a lot. I'd love to do an ED trip but I keep getting my GT cars in the dead of winter. haha
Yeah, my .2GT3 and GT4 were both delivered in January. This car was originally schedule to arrive in December. The WP package shortage allowing me to bump up in the queue definitely worked out for me
Old 09-23-2018, 12:46 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Bravo! Well written and excellent storytelling. Made me immersed in your experience. Thank you for taking the time to put this together, especially all the details (hotels, tracks, sightseeing). I have never been to Europe and you write up with ED has now imprinted on me that I need to do it!! Many thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic story and best Sunday morning read in a very long time.

Last edited by Porsches; 09-23-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: POS Apple iPhone issue.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Congrats Joe. Sounds like a great trip and a great car!
Enjoy!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Some more photos to share

The garage at Hotel de la Source. Your room key opens up a garage door and this is where you park. Very nice.

Another pano shot of the Linder hotel right across from the Ring building. Interesting thing about the roller coaster you see here. I guess they originally were trying to make it the fastest roller coaster in the world. Unfortunately during testing it would fly off the track and crash through the walls, so they just gave up on the project and now it does nothing. LOL!

I really like my burned titanium tips.

Wagons everywhere! Love it! I can't stand SUVs

I LOL'd at 'trying to do eau rouge flat out'

Old 09-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I LOL'd at 'trying to do eau rouge flat out'

Mika 911 and I missed the briefing

Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Mika 911 and I missed the briefing

Oooooh man!!! That is an AWESOME shot!!!! Love it! That is how you enter Eau rouge like a man!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One thing I forgot to mention for those doing euro delivery is that I would highly recommend getting the front axle lift. In the US the entries are mostly flat and graded. In Germany there are still curbs at entry. I got confused the first day circling around trying to find out how I was supposed to enter a lot, LoL! Without the lift there would have been some damage taken to the lip.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM
TheDapperDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

lovely journal, congrats on the pick up
Old 09-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for sharing Joe!!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:55 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Congrats! Thanks for the detailed write up. Really enjoyed reading it and the watching videos. I hope you give us a report out when you get her back to your home tracks.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me