996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:04 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Joe, were you happy with the pedal after the caliper swap?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I haven’t read the whole thread or searched this up but is the caliper change for ease of changing pads over OEM or do you feel OEM is lacking in performance in some way?

Thank you.
Ease of changing pads (MUCH easier)
No stressing of the hard brake lines when changing pads
No cracking of the ceramic piston pucks that aren't replaceable

I don't think there is much of a performance difference other than the potential benefits of less weight. It's not like Porsche brakes are lacking in performance. The problem is that the maintenance is horrible. Horrible.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
You should go on Sunday instead - only 29 cars total signed up so far, so it will be nice. I'm coming, assuming the car agrees to go.
I tried! Wa couldn't go Sunday and my Friday opened up so me, Ben, and wa are going Friday. Maybe if I'm crazy enough I'll go back Sunday with Mike since he is free that day. Lol!

Originally Posted by A432
Joe, were you happy with the pedal after the caliper swap?
Yes. Solid. Less pedal effort needed and easier to trail into a corner.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Pics of the calipers with the car all back together
Attached Images     
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ease of changing pads (MUCH easier)
No stressing of the hard brake lines when changing pads
No cracking of the ceramic piston pucks that aren't replaceable

I don't think there is much of a performance difference other than the potential benefits of less weight. It's not like Porsche brakes are lacking in performance. The problem is that the maintenance is horrible. Horrible.

I thought I was the only one who hated changing pads and nurture the broken ceramic pucks back in place.....
now I know the sol'n
Old 12-06-2018, 04:10 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Car looks fantastic with the black calipers!

ps. If I were you, I would be tempted to take a green marker and color the white lettering on the calipers
Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Car looks fantastic with the black calipers!

ps. If I were you, I would be tempted to take a green marker and color the white lettering on the calipers
That would look cool.... what type of marker will hold up to the heat?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

That would look cool.... what type of marker will hold up to the heat?
That's probably a tough find. Car looks great BTW.

Has anyone replaced the OEM pistons and pucks with something else? I thought I saw Autoquest had titanium pistons available.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Ah, what a sight for sore eyes! Love the black calipers, the red clashed with the bright LG color.

Beautiful. Now, all you need is a set of clear side markers and you are good to go. Those amber ones look ugly!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Ah, what a sight for sore eyes! Love the black calipers, the red clashed with the bright LG color.

Beautiful. Now, all you need is a set of clear side markers and you are good to go. Those amber ones look ugly!
Showing up in the mail today!
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Very nice!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Great first weekend with the RS at Laguna Seca. Lots of information to share. The RS is fine piece of engineering. Lots of subtle changes over the .1RS you can notice when the cars are side by side.

First day was on my factory cup2s from euro delivery. My prior experience on cup2s have been that they are the fastest on day 1. Decent on day 2. 2-3 seconds slower on day 3. The first day at laguna was on cup2s on day 3 tires. The car ran consistent 1:36s lap after lap, but I couldn't get anything lower than that. The tires just didn't have the grip they should have. There was still plenty of tread left after the 3rd day, which was surprising but maybe it's because I was slow in Europe. On stock alignment the fronts wore totally EVEN and the rears had the unavoidable cup2 outer edge wear.

Marketing and perception is very powerful. Many people here think the cup2s are superior to the Dunlops. I'm going to try to change that impression.
I ran one set of dunlops in my .1 GT3 and loved how they felt and thought they were just as fast if not a touch faster than the cup2s. However, the original dunlops have an issue where the middle tread would get destroyed and washed away after only 2 days.
I've run through A LOT of cup2 tires in the GT3 and GT4. They are always really fast on day 1, drop off a bit on day 2, and are painfully slow on day 3.
The new dunlop sport maxx race 2 tires have a different tread pattern now where there is a bridge connecting the center tread to the outer tread and I think they did this to prevent the center tread from washing away like the 1st gen tires did.

So, I decided to take off the cruddy cup2 tires and put on a fresh set of Dunlop sport maxx race 2 tires. I did one session slowly being careful not to run faster than 1:43 to scrub in the tires and to not heat shock them. After that, I went for it and pull out a 1:34.1. The fastest I've ever been around Laguna Seca. Prior best was in the .2 GT3 with 1:34.8 on fresh cup2s. I was hoping to be at least a second faster than the GT3, but .7 seconds will have to do for now. I should be able to get a 1:33. A really good driver could do 1:32. One interesting thing was the vMax down the main straight. 139mph in the RS. 134mph in the .2 GT3. A FIVE mph difference. That is huge. HUGE. That is with max aero settings. I overshot T2 in the RS a bit, so the vmax might be a bit high. It might be a 4 mph difference, but that is still substantial. After one day, the dunlops still look really good. Wear looks pretty even right now and the center tread is NOT washing away. If I can prove that the dunlops don't slow down like the cup2 do and can last at least 3 track days, it's a big win over cup2 for me. I definitely like how the dunlops feel over the cup2 for sure. The car feels pretty neutral to me right now. I don't think I need to mess with the sway bar settings.

Here is the video of the run:
STOCK alignment
DUNLOP tires
MAX aero settings
sway bars all middle settings

My buddy let me do a couple laps in my prior .2 GT3 to feel the difference. To me, the GT3 didn't feel quite as sharp as the RS. The steering didn't feel quite as sharp and the car felt less communicative. Perhaps it's because of the springs and the solid bushings. The manual transmission really didn't add or detract from the experience. One confounding factor was that he was on 4 day old cup2s. They definitely didn't grip as well as my new dunlops, so I'm not sure how much the tires had to do with it.

A very interesting comparo I was able to make was between the stock brake system on the .2 GT3 and the AP caliper/rotor system on my RS. Both cars were running Ferodo DS1.11 pads. I never felt that the Porsche brake system was lacking, and they aren't. HOWEVER, I MUCH prefer how the AP system feels over the Porsche system. The pedal is more solid. There is less variation in pedal travel. The braking is more consistent. This was the system I originally had on my .2 GT3 and transferred to the RS. The Ferodo pads have gone through 5 track days now. After the 4th day I noticed some tapering of the front pads. No big deal to flip them since the pad changes are super easy. On day 5 there is still enough pads left for at least another 2 days (front pads). This is consistent with the DS1.11 on the stock system which usually lasted me 6-7 days (front pads).

Graph of my best laps at laguna in the .2 RS vs in the .2 GT3. 1:34.1 vs 1:34.8

I currently don't see any reason to change the alignment settings on the car. I will see how the tires look after they are totally done.

Pics from the day! Thumbs up to Speed District from putting on a great event!

Last edited by orthojoe; 12-11-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:10 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up Joe.
Still amazes me how you get past sound even though you have gps and turn-away pipes as the engine is loud at full chat!!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

3-4 shift in manual doesn't compare well with the RS it appears. I know you flat shifted but I can only assume that the 3-4 shift is costing time from your graph or am I reading it wrong?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
Joe, were you happy with the pedal feel after the caliper swap?
Yes. Solid. Less pedal effort needed and easier to trail into a corner.
Cool, thanks for documenting everything. Congrats on the car and the experience.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me