Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How does the cover come off to get to the wheel lock tool / battery / top shocks?
Just wondering if its still easy with the two air ducts going through it.
Hmm... I have no idea! I never tried to lift up the cover during my trip. Will find out in 2 months...
Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
To clarify, i think spa is a great circuit. I just think the ring is more special and if I had to pick one over the other, it would be the ring.

For those that want to follow the manual, it's 1500km or 930miles below 7k rpm for break in.
Thanks for posting that. The US lawyers probably thought it would be easier to everyone just adhere to the 4K RPM break-in. 7K RPM is so much better. My drive will be better tomorrow thanks to you!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

How does the cover come off to get to the wheel lock tool / battery / top shocks?
Just wondering if its still easy with the two air ducts going through it.
Hmm... I have no idea! I never tried to lift up the cover during my trip. Will find out in 2 months...
I can answer this...yes, it comes off and on as easy as pie. Have had mine on and off lots of times connecting the car to a battery charger.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

To clarify, i think spa is a great circuit. I just think the ring is more special and if I had to pick one over the other, it would be the ring.

For those that want to follow the manual, it's 1500km or 930miles below 7k rpm for break in.
For my Touring, I have the German version of the user manual.
And for GT3T it says 4000rpm. It is really weird.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
For my Touring, I have the German version of the user manual.
And for GT3T it says 4000rpm. It is really weird.
That is interesting. Here is a copy of the cover and the first page which starts with some numbers and a date of 07/2018. Is yours similar?
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2018, 11:45 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I wrote this also in Montoya's thread, but I also have the <4000rpm, 3000km limit in my Swedsih manual, for GT3T. I will check issue # and date as soon as I get home.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:53 AM
jeffreestylz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Super awesome write-up and thank you for sharing, Joe! My wife enjoyed the wonderful read and shots as much as I did! I may need to have you take my next trip for me Enjoy the heck out of your new Lizard RS!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

That is interesting. Here is a copy of the cover and the first page which starts with some numbers and a date of 07/2018. Is yours similar?
I ordered my car mid-May 2018 and it was delivered in July 2018.
The user manual seems to be one version older.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

AGREED!!!

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Ok Larry and Trakcar - you forced my hand (this would make for a cool thread)

Old 09-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Congratulations. Epic Thread, pics and video! Pulling a 8:14 at the 'Ring is amazing.

Forget about the chips. You got to see the car at the factory and drive the ring. The chips were worth the lifetime of memories! Though I doubt you will be able to truly "forget them".

Now I wish someone would sell me a Green RS!!!
7:35!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have always had a good experience with the Pistenclub. They are cheaper but as equally well organised..and their events are full of real enthusiasts and good drivers. They run two groups. Road legal cars and race/slick tyre cars. So you never get crazy things like CUP cars running alongside Minis.

Another good group is Curbstone. They also run two groups to separate road cars from race cars. They are at the top end price wise, but are well organised with good food, etc. And uniquely, each car gets a transponder that keeps track of your lap times. Then in the lounge area they have a couple of big monitors that show the lap times of all the cars in your group for comparison. At the end of each session they then print out all every lap time of every car in your session so you can compare your times to every other car. After the event, they post all the lap times of every car from every session on their website for you to download. Its a nice feature.
+1 this is who I ran Spa with ... highly recommend
Old 09-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I don’t understand buying new Porsche’s and not doing ED..
Mine will be a challenge in the middle of winter on Summer tires!
+1,000,000!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all of the nice comments, everyone!

You didn't miss out on anything by not getting PCCB other than you're gonna get more brake dust.

For the first 700km I kept rpm below 7k as the manual instructed, which was about 1 tank of gas. That was how many km I drove from Leipzig to Koblenz, to Bonn, and then to Nurburg. The next day I did 2 laps at the ring and kept it below 7k and then I said screw it and let it fly to 9k. In my .1 GT3 I did the same thing except 2 tanks of gas and that car did over 80 track days and the engine refused to die. In the GT4 I did the same and despite my friend over reving the engine to range 6 TWICE, the engine wouldn't die after almost 40 track days. I would do nothing different if I took delivery of the car here at home. Keep it below 7k for one tank of gas and let it rip.
you did better than I did, I drove straight from Zuffenhausen to the Ring (~365km) and despite telling myself that I wouldn't I hit 9k as I pulled out of the car park onto the Ring heading for the bridge @ Tiergarten!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
I never ever would recommend to check in your helmet. that suitcase gets smashed every which way. i always carry mine on the plane. i do pack my hoodie or other little clothes inside it. just my 2 cents after traveling to europe dozen times for competition and fun.
+1
Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Great write up Joe! Love these write ups of ED, thank you for sharing. You have inspired me to do the same. What are your initial impressions on the factory set up and what are your plans for suspension changes? Are you going to raise the rear? How was tire wear with the stock camber? No rubbing on the front or back?
Thanks for allowing all of us on RL to ride along with you.
I was pretty happy with the factory setup on my GT3 at both the Ring and Spa, I *did* try to arrange to drop my car off at Manthey Racing to get them to apply their (Ring) alignment prior to me heading out on track
however I was not able to co-ordinate that, also they informed me that they "shimmed" the LCAs which *might* be problematic with export (like anyone looks at the suspension?) despite the fact that they use Porsche
parts down there...

If I were going back to do a GT ED I would make sure I got the car to Manthey beforehand ... might as well get the "secret sauce"...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me