Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Verdict on Particulate Filter? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1099223-verdict-on-particulate-filter.html)

FourT6and2 09-21-2018 04:38 PM

Verdict on Particulate Filter?

Quick question, sorry if it's opening old wounds lol.

In the USA, will any 991.2 GT3RS come with particulate filter or is that just for Europe and ROW?

IPSA 09-21-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by FourT6and2 (Post 15307848)
Quick question, sorry if it's opening old wounds lol.

In the USA, will any 991.2 GT3RS come with particulate filter or is that just for Europe and ROW?

My source says no PF.

Gh0st0 09-21-2018 07:48 PM

Interesting, seen pf on diesels, never on gas

Sun Ra 09-22-2018 08:40 PM

it's not ROW, my NZ 2019 RS has titanium exhaust w no p filter

sampelligrino 09-23-2018 12:25 AM

Its all a ploy by the stealers to fuel the GT hype machine

Jrtaylor9 09-23-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Its all a ploy by the stealers to fuel the GT hype machine

U might be right

ivorodrigggues 10-09-2018 02:24 PM

PF in EU

Hi,

will there be any 991.2 gt3rs in Europe with PF?
I have a allocation but no production date.

Alan Smithee 10-09-2018 03:01 PM

Federal law requires emissions equipment to be warrantied 8 years/80k miles...I find it hard to believe any manufacturer would include unnecessary emissions equipment on US cars.

If this turns out to be the case, it will be interesting to see if the EU allows temporary registration of non-compliant cars for factory delivery next year and beyond.

Brosef 10-09-2018 03:40 PM

verdict seems to be that there is no plan to include a particulate filter on any GT cars at the moment. my understanding is that the new regs in Europe (Euro 6?) were mandating a PF for any car built after Jan 1, 2019. that may be the case, but there aren't currently any vehicle production dates for European deliveries that I am aware of. it seems like what happened was Porsche front loaded the Euro deliveries earlier this summer (which is why U.S. car builds got a later start) in order to get as many out the door as they could before the regs kicked in. my guess is that there are no cars built for Europe after Jan 1 if it's true that they need a PF (just don't see any way they could implement it without some massive power handicap), but maybe there will be more for ROW.

Alan Smithee 10-09-2018 03:50 PM

^ I find that hard to believe, even if GT3 and GT3RS production will be done for the EU in 2018...no Speedsters? No GT4s? No Spyders?

Brosef 10-09-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 15348649)
^ I find that hard to believe, even if GT3 and GT3RS production will be done for the EU in 2018...no Speedsters? No GT4s? No Spyders?

sorry, I meant all GT3's and RS'. you're right about the others - of course those are coming. my guess is that they will have a filter if in fact it's required for Euro regs. not sure if Porsche would build two separate cars - one for Europe and one for ROW (even if it is unnecessarily expensive to add it to ROW cars). that's what my dealer said, anyway. take that for what it's worth.

fxz 10-09-2018 05:33 PM

low production cars are allowed either in stupid burocracy europe
the burocrats think to save the planet because they believe the planet ( in a tolemaic way ) is only europe!

MC90 10-09-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brosef (Post 15348632)
verdict seems to be that there is no plan to include a particulate filter on any GT cars at the moment. my understanding is that the new regs in Europe (Euro 6?) were mandating a PF for any car built after Jan 1, 2019. that may be the case, but there aren't currently any vehicle production dates for European deliveries that I am aware of. it seems like what happened was Porsche front loaded the Euro deliveries earlier this summer (which is why U.S. car builds got a later start) in order to get as many out the door as they could before the regs kicked in. my guess is that there are no cars built for Europe after Jan 1 if it's true that they need a PF (just don't see any way they could implement it without some massive power handicap), but maybe there will be more for ROW.

The new emission standards are called 6c and 6d-TEMP (most new cars needs to comply to both) and took effect on September 1st. 6c is tested in lab conditions and 6d-TEMP is tested on the road.

PF isn't mandated, but it seems cars need them to pass the on road testing. The emission limits has not changed from the previous emission standard. The on road tests allow a deviation of 110 percent from the lab results. Still all manufacturers have needed to make changes to pass the on road testing. That shows how unrealistic the previous lab results have been on especially NOx and PM emissions.

The Porsches who currently have PF haven't suffered any power loss. The Cayman and the Cayman GTS have PF and have the same power as before.

All Lamborghini models now have PF, and they have the same power as before. So its possible on NA cars as well.

MC90 10-09-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fxz (Post 15348872)
low production cars are allowed either in stupid burocracy europe
the burocrats think to save the planet because they believe the planet ( in a tolemaic way ) is only europe!

The new emission standards has nothing to do with saving the planet. It has to do with air quality. The problem is with PM and NOx particles and they don't really harm the plant. They cause adverse health effects and are linked with tens of thousands of deaths in Europe each year.

Alan Smithee 10-09-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MC90 (Post 15348979)
The new emission standards are called 6c and 6d-TEMP (most new cars needs to comply to both) and took effect on September 1st. 6c is tested in lab conditions and 6d-TEMP is tested on the road.

PF isn't mandated, but it seems cars need them to pass the on road testing. The emission limits has not changed from the previous emission standard. The on road tests allow a deviation of 110 percent from the lab results. Still all manufacturers have needed to make changes to pass the on road testing. That shows how unrealistic the previous lab results have been on especially NOx and PM emissions.

The Porsches who currently have PF haven't suffered any power loss. The Cayman and the Cayman GTS have PF and have the same power as before.

All Lamborghini models now have PF, and they have the same power as before. So its possible on NA cars as well.

Thanks for the info. Seems to not be a big deal, yet I've read about multiple vehicle models and/or drivetrains that are being discontinued due to the implementation?

Originally Posted by MC90 (Post 15348995)
The new emission standards has nothing to do with saving the planet. It has to do with air quality. The problem is with PM and NOx particles and they don't really harm the plant. They cause adverse health effects and are linked with tens of thousands of deaths in Europe each year.

​​​​​​​From older vehicles and other sources, perhaps...not from new vehicles.