Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   JackPoint Jack Stands Under a GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1099139-jackpoint-jack-stands-under-a-gt3.html)

Wild Weasel 09-21-2018 09:21 AM

JackPoint Jack Stands Under a GT3

This week I used my new JackPoint jack stands for the first time for a tire rotation on my GT3. I just had to make a post about it to gush about how great they are. :)

Up until now, when rotating tires between track events I've had to lift the back using two jacks and swap the wheels around with the car held up on the jacks. You shouldn't trust jacks to hold up a car in general and I particularly don't trust the jacks I was using which are ancient and decrepit. With the JackPoint stands back ordered though, I didn't have a choice and it made me very nervous. People in the 991 section talk about ways to lift the car or place it on jack stands outside of the proper jack points but none of that works on a GT3 with the under tray covering up pretty much everything.

Well... my stands finally came in a little while back and I couldn't be happier.

With these, I now only need to jack the car up twice. Once for each side. Lifting from the back, the front comes up enough to place a stand and then I lower it onto the JackPoint stand. Repeat on the other side and then deal with all 4 wheels.

I'm beyond satisfied with these things and think everyone should have them!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1ce45c27f9.jpg
My pit crew helping with the tire rotation.

GrantG 09-21-2018 10:16 AM

I agree - I've been very happy with mine too. Nice how they have different top plates to work with different brands of car too (that have different jacking receiver types). I use on Porsche and my Mits Evo.

Serge944 09-21-2018 03:37 PM

Alternatively, you can use rear cross member for your jackstands.

Gofishracing 09-21-2018 03:49 PM

It says out of stock still. Months it seems. I sent them message. I'll call. I need

Wild Weasel 09-21-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Serge944 (Post 15307702)
Alternatively, you can use rear cross member for your jackstands.

Can you? Is that not covered by the under-tray? I stuck my head under and didn't see anywhere that looked remotely plausible for a stand.

Wild Weasel 09-21-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gofishracing (Post 15307727)
It says out of stock still. Months it seems. I sent them message. I'll call. I need

I have a feeling they're perpetually back-ordered. I emailed them early this year and he put me on a list and eventually my ticket got pulled and I got them.

Definitely don't look at the website, see "out of stock" and give up with the idea that you'll check again in a few weeks and it will be difference. Get in touch. Get on the back order list.

SuperUser 09-21-2018 04:12 PM

I have a set that I am no longer using now that I have a Quickjack.

PM me if anyone wants a set.
Daryl

Gofishracing 09-21-2018 04:25 PM

PM sent. please email me - easier- gofishracing@aol.com

MJG911 09-21-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuperUser (Post 15307778)
I have a set that I am no longer using now that I have a Quickjack.

PM me if anyone wants a set.
Daryl

how do you like the QJ? I've been thinking of getting one.

Dr.Bill 09-21-2018 04:48 PM

If someone local (Phoenix area only - won't ship these!) wants a pair, I've got some taking up space in the garage too.
PM or email if interested.

SuperUser 09-21-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MJG911 (Post 15307827)
how do you like the QJ? I've been thinking of getting one.

Jacking my old 964 and SUVs was very easy with a combo of Jackpoint and Esso jack stands. I picked up a Vantage a couple of years ago, it so low and very tricky to get u. I purchased the QJ just to get it up safely, they work as advertised and are not too hard to move around.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3d8ba800b8.jpg

Rick GT3 09-21-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel (Post 15306818)
This week I used my new JackPoint jack stands for the first time for a tire rotation on my GT3. I just had to make a post about it to gush about how great they are. :)

Up until now, when rotating tires between track events I've had to lift the back using two jacks and swap the wheels around with the car held up on the jacks. You shouldn't trust jacks to hold up a car in general and I particularly don't trust the jacks I was using which are ancient and decrepit. With the JackPoint stands back ordered though, I didn't have a choice and it made me very nervous. People in the 991 section talk about ways to lift the car or place it on jack stands outside of the proper jack points but none of that works on a GT3 with the under tray covering up pretty much everything.

Well... my stands finally came in a little while back and I couldn't be happier.

With these, I now only need to jack the car up twice. Once for each side. Lifting from the back, the front comes up enough to place a stand and then I lower it onto the JackPoint stand. Repeat on the other side and then deal with all 4 wheels.

I'm beyond satisfied with these things and think everyone should have them!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1ce45c27f9.jpg
My pit crew helping with the tire rotation.

my advise for next tire rotation, do it on a flat surface w/o inclination, you never know what could happen.

Pruettfan 09-23-2018 03:51 AM

A couple of years ago I bought the Quickjack portable car lift. Gave up on expensive solutions that were not entire solutions. Quickjack is easy to store (lean it against a wall) when not in use and lifts the car about 19-22" at the factory jack points and locks in place making it extremely safe. If you do your own maintenance and/or do track prep in your garage they are the best solution I have found. Some guys take them to the track also.

dieselino 09-23-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan (Post 15310920)
A couple of years ago I bought the Quickjack portable car lift. Gave up on expensive solutions that were not entire solutions. Quickjack is easy to store (lean it against a wall) when not in use and lifts the car about 19-22" at the factory jack points and locks in place making it extremely safe. If you do your own maintenance and/or do track prep in your garage they are the best solution I have found. Some guys take them to the track also.

Interesting, will cost the same as 4 Jackpoint stands. Do they slide under your GT3 without having to lift the car or up on ramps?

GrantG 09-23-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by dieselino (Post 15311845)
Interesting, will cost the same as 4 Jackpoint stands. Do they slide under your GT3 without having to lift the car or up on ramps?

I’m sure that is a great solution, but when comparing to Jackpoints you only need to figure on buying 2 (and two inexpensive standard jack stands). When jacking the rear side jacking point, it raises the front side as well (allowing you to place a conventional stand there)