Planning to buy my first ever Porsche and needed advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 AM
vette1uae
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Planning to buy my first ever Porsche and needed advice

Hello everyone,

As you can tell, I am new to the forum, although was reading through your useful and very informative posts about the GT3 RS .1 which I am planning to get as a first time Porsche car. Previously owned many other cars, (C5Z, C6Z, GT-R, Gallardo, etc, last was C7 Z06 which I loved to track and get very close numbers to Gt3 RS, but still would like to try the German weapon!

I have read through many threads on the comparison of GT3 RS .1 and GT3 .2, and I am already convinced to go with the RS! so that's done. Next question is about the fair price of the 2016 RS and the expected value in 2 years. I am aware that many guys would hate such question of purchase related to appreciation/depreciation, but I am not so rich and it does affect my decision to buy a car, plus I have a bad habit of changing cars every 2 years max!

The 2016 RS in our region is priced between $145k and $170k, with mileage ranging between 5,000 miles to 15,000 miles (yes it's less costly than US given that there was no tax here back then). So if I want to do apple to apple comparison with US market, should I apply 12% tax on top? And is it expected to depreciate by more than 20% in 2 years time given the gen 2 production? Again, sorry guys who hates this question ..

Appreciate your opinion.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Congrats on making the decision!.....

And for your last question.....it is impossible to give an answer, no one here has a crystal ball as to values in 2 years.....on that note you mention the word appreciation.....very highly doubtful.....
Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM
vette1uae
Track Day

Thanks for the response.

Sure thing I understand that it can’t be estimated accurately, my only concern is that I am buying at high price, given the circumstances of high number of production (as I read through threads in this forum), and the release of RS gen 2. Normal depreciation of value is fine with me as long as these 2 factors do not come into play by next 2 years and hit the .1 RS value hard when lots of .2 RS are available in the second market.

Again, I never had that much of over analyzing car value before purchasing a used one, it’s just that I am trying to understand if the price of RS that is used for 3 years and is still holding 85% of its value wouldn’t take me into surprise when resell it
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Excellent decision on the RS - .1
I really love mine.

Although not related to your question, the price of these cars in the USA is so cheap compared to Australia.

Here on the 2nd Hand Market, '16 GT3RS .1 with low KMS is about $420k AUD (which as a conversion is approx USD$305k)

You guys are very lucky!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by vette1uae
Thanks for the response.

Sure thing I understand that it can’t be estimated accurately, my only concern is that I am buying at high price, given the circumstances of high number of production (as I read through threads in this forum), and the release of RS gen 2. Normal depreciation of value is fine with me as long as these 2 factors do not come into play by next 2 years and hit the .1 RS value hard when lots of .2 RS are available in the second market.

Again, I never had that much of over analyzing car value before purchasing a used one, it’s just that I am trying to understand if the price of RS that is used for 3 years and is still holding 85% of its value wouldn’t take me into surprise when resell it
I have one piece of advice and others may agree or not.....if you have to do that much pricing analytics on depreciation for a car at this level you simply can't afford it.....sorry to be so blunt.....
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM
CDNRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I have one piece of advice and others may agree or not.....if you have to do that much pricing analytics on depreciation for a car at this level you simply can't afford it.....sorry to be so blunt.....
Agree.

OP, my first P car is also a 16 RS, I love it as I'm sure you will. I ended up buying a 991.2 Targa as well, the difference between the two cars is incredible, they are literally two different cars. The .1 RS is great, but as Shapiroeric said, maybe it's not within the realm of possibility for you. I presume this is going to be your toy, if it isn't, then again, maybe it's not for you. If you're buying it as an investment, you're doing the wrong thing. If you get the car, you will for sure love it. If you're hoping someone here knows what the future holds, and they do, introduce me, I have lots of questions I want answered.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Congrats on making the decision!.....

And for your last question.....it is impossible to give an answer, no one here has a crystal ball as to values in 2 years.....on that note you mention the word appreciation.....very highly doubtful.....
I think in two years we will most likely see the floor on the market value of 991.1 RS and GT cars in general. It will be the peak of NA GT car supply and most likely minimum of demand. Albeit, thereafter appreciation is inevitable IMO, due to the unavoidable death of the NA/Atmospheric engine and ICE engines in general. If the 992 is FI this will only expedite NA value increase. NA engines will be in great demand in the distant future.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

Congrats on choosing an RS! It’s an amazing car. However, as others have stated, if you are always worried about depreciation then you will not enjoy it as intended. It’s an amazing machine that needs to be driven hard to enjoy, that’s when it’s character really shines. If you are worried about miles, damage, ect then you will not appreciate it for the stunning car it is. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM
vette1uae
Track Day

Thanks everyone for the opinion and advice!!! Really appreciate it and I understand the main theme in the responses.

I actually was very hesitant while writing the post but it is always good to hear from the experienced guys (even blunt opinions are very welcomed lol). And you guys are very welcoming and responsive!

Re question of how would I use the RS, I would track it as this is what it’s made for, not a garage queen and not an investment for sure

Guess I will proceed with the price negotiable with the car in mind and hopefully soon will post pictures of my RS!!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=vette1uae;15304544]

I would track it as this is what it’s made for, not a garage queen and not an investment for sure

QUOTE]
you answered your question here. dont worry about it and have fun driving it.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM
vette1uae
Track Day

[QUOTE=zmon;15304585]
Originally Posted by vette1uae

I would track it as this is what it’s made for, not a garage queen and not an investment for sure

QUOTE]
you answered your question here. dont worry about it and have fun driving it.
True that

Quick Reply: Planning to buy my first ever Porsche and needed advice