Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it too late to get GT3 RS allocation in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

I was in a similar situation almost 4 years ago. Moved to Canada from US, had a BMW 1M that I loved darely. The car was great but never depriciated. When it was time to import, they were charging me taxes on the ACTUAL/current selling price at that time irrespective of a letter from my dealership stating what they’d give me for it.... Ultimately, I decided to leave her behind because importation would chew into the equity I had in the car... I sold it back to the dealership for HIGHER than the MSRP!
This was in February 2015, the GT4 was just announced (that did play a huge part in my decision to sell 😂&#128514. I googled “largest Porsche dealership in Toronto”. Cold called my current SA and the rest is history. They had 2 lists: One was no deposit, it was 34 deep iirc, and the second was one that they actually took a 5k CAD deposit, I was #5. Got my PTS GT4 at MSRP, moved out of our x3 to a Macan GTS and I’m waiting for my GT3T. My Porsche dealership experience seems alien to most described here on RL. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised with the porsche car buying experience here. If you pm me I can connect you with my SA... you never know...

Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Provie
I was in a similar situation almost 4 years ago. Moved to Canada from US, had a BMW 1M that I loved darely. The car was great but never depriciated. When it was time to import, they were charging me taxes on the ACTUAL/current selling price at that time irrespective of a letter from my dealership stating what they’d give me for it.... Ultimately, I decided to leave her behind because importation would chew into the equity I had in the car... I sold it back to the dealership for HIGHER than the MSRP!
This was in February 2015, the GT4 was just announced (that did play a huge part in my decision to sell 😂&#128514. I googled “largest Porsche dealership in Toronto”. Cold called my current SA and the rest is history. They had 2 lists: One was no deposit, it was 34 deep iirc, and the second was one that they actually took a 5k CAD deposit, I was #5. Got my PTS GT4 at MSRP, moved out of our x3 to a Macan GTS and I’m waiting for my GT3T. My Porsche dealership experience seems alien to most described here on RL. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised with the porsche car buying experience here. If you pm me I can connect you with my SA... you never know...

Things were different in 2015. You could get a GT4/GT3 without buying anything previously and without trading a GT.

Are you trading your GT4 on the GT3?

I do wonder if sales rep makes a difference. As in dealer rewards top performing sales reps first.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:49 PM
oneightee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yeah, but since the dollar is so strong a Canadian RS is cheaper in US dollars than a US RS. That being said, I would never buy a Canadian car (no offense to anyone that has or would).
Out of curiosity, why is that? I would think the only difference is the speedometer and maybe slightly different regulations on the bumpers / low-speed crash structure.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck getting an allocation unless, as other have mentioned, you've purchased multiple cars from a dealership and have a GT car on trade. To my knowledge Canadian Dealerships cannot charge over MSRP, but they get around that by only taking GT models on trade at low trade in value and require your trade months in advance of you receiving your new GT car. There have been customers that have gone into dealerships and purchased several new Porsches & a GT Porsche to get allocation. I never received an allocation even though I purchased a 991C4S, had a deposit for a 991.2GT3 for over 2 years and was promised repeatedly for an allocation by the dealership. It's who you know and how much money you spend.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by oneightee
Out of curiosity, why is that? I would think the only difference is the speedometer and maybe slightly different regulations on the bumpers / low-speed crash structure.
Canadians cars are more rust prone (just like US cars near rust belt) That's what he means.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

^1 Road salt and brine is used in abundance in Toronto area. But my fun cars are afraid of winter so never see that stuff.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nan P
Good luck getting an allocation unless, as other have mentioned, you've purchased multiple cars from a dealership and have a GT car on trade. To my knowledge Canadian Dealerships cannot charge over MSRP, but they get around that by only taking GT models on trade at low trade in value and require your trade months in advance of you receiving your new GT car. There have been customers that have gone into dealerships and purchased several new Porsches & a GT Porsche to get allocation. I never received an allocation even though I purchased a 991C4S, had a deposit for a 991.2GT3 for over 2 years and was promised repeatedly for an allocation by the dealership. It's who you know and how much money you spend.
It's not too bad if you're lucky. I took a backend ADM (as described above) way way below what is being paid in the US. I'm happy with how it turned out and hoping dealer comes through for me in the future.

You're right though some folks got bent over huge. Big loss on trade, multiple purchases now and/or dealer PPF and protections etc.

Really wonder what the 992 cycle will be like. Same same or less of a feeding frenzy.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Things were different in 2015. You could get a GT4/GT3 without buying anything previously and without trading a GT.

Are you trading your GT4 on the GT3?

I do wonder if sales rep makes a difference. As in dealer rewards top performing sales reps first.
Nope, I’m keeping my GT4! 😉
Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Provie
Nope, I’m keeping my GT4! 😉
Awesome!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:08 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by oneightee
Let's see....the hassle of importing the car, paying the extra fees/taxes, and then the hit on resale. Why do that when the price delta between a Canadian car and a US car is minimal?
Old 09-22-2018, 02:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Canadians cars are more rust prone (just like US cars near rust belt) That's what he means.
Why would that be? If anything, Canadian GT3 are less likely to be driven in winter because it's illegal to drive on summer tires in winter (and too cold), and almost no one will be buying winter tires for a GT3 or RS.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:13 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Let's see....the hassle of importing the car, paying the extra fees/taxes, and then the hit on resale. Why do that when the price delta between a Canadian car and a US car is minimal?
The hassle is not that bad - done that several times, and it's fairly simple. But definitely not worth the price difference, given that you have to pay sales tax twice, which eats pretty much the entire savings. Also, most new Porsches are sold with non-export agreement attached, and it's actually enforced, so it leaves only secondary market, which is above MSRP on desirable cars anyway.

Quick Reply: Is it too late to get GT3 RS allocation in Canada?