991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"practical" GT3 replacement

Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^Thanks for the info on the M4. I think it looks great but I've heard the engine sound is pretty lame. I'm not looking for something I will have to modify.
I'm going to test drive an M2 Thursday it's not a manual or a competition model but hopefully will give me some idea about the car. The interior looked a bit basic but that may be ok I'll have to see. My old C63 was hard to beat for sound and fun around town.
May have to just keep the GT3 for a while longer it's not so bad after all.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:17 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by naptownmike
I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike

I recently bought a 2018 M4 with a competition package as a daily driver. Still have my manual GT3. To the M4 I added Dinan engine tuning (stage 3, 575hp) and suspension upgrades (coilovers, sway bars and rear links). All under warranty. It is now a phenomenal car. I did not like manual so I went with the PDK. I added some carbon fiber arrow components. It’s a blast to drive and very good lookin. PM me if you want more info
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,728 Likes on 4,761 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
Firsthand experience with one? I just saw one parked on the street last week and it looked awesome.
Yes, I AutoX'd my buddy's M2.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:30 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,728 Likes on 4,761 Posts

Originally Posted by naptownmike
I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike
M4 feels heavy and numb. Reminded of an Audi RS4.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,743 Likes on 2,172 Posts

For fun road use, I prefer my '11 C63 and 997 C2S over the GT3. For track use, the GT3 is the winner by a big margin.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:05 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by localmotion411
996 C4S is a great car for low money.
The reason it is low money is that it looks and feels cheap, IMHO. I tried one years ago when I was looking for my first 911, and it almost turned me off 911s completely. Going from a GT3 to a 996 has to be some kind of punishment for something bad you did in a previous life.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

If BMW, I vote for the new M2 Competition.

Re the hot hatch group: STI is an old design (and a bit homely being sedan only); the Golf R is a bit too grown up and boring; the Civic Type R styling makes me vomit. I bought a Ford (first Ford I’ve had in twenty years) Focus RS. I’m 52 and will likely give it to my son when he turns 16 in just under two years. Car is a lot of fun and I’m racking up the miles due to lots of youth sports activities/travel.

Course, you could always buy a Forester or something.
I knew there was a reason my M3 kept needing repairs .... now with the M2 BMW has perfected their 'breaking system':

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...mpetition.html
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
If a manual is not a must, a lightly used Nissan GT-R is an amazing machine. I had a 2012 and loved it. Nissan also sells factory extended warranty's that are reasonably priced.
love the GTR— the M4 exhaust is just awful unless they’ve fixed it on late models, like bolts in a clothes dryer but otherwise cool car , love my ‘08 e92 M3 with V8.... Bimmerpost has a few low mileage ones for sale...
Old 09-19-2018, 02:33 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The M4 competition model for 2018 has a great sounding exhaust. They even offer added option for a high performance exhaust. Mine has great sound but also has the Dinan tune which enhances the sound and performance.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SANDIEGO
The M4 competition model for 2018 has a great sounding exhaust. They even offer added option for a high performance exhaust. Mine has great sound but also has the Dinan tune which enhances the sound and performance.
M4 still sounds like utter digital garbage inside the cabin. It's worse than Nintendo 8-bit.

I had two E46 M3's back in the day, amazing car, great fun, one of my all-time favorites to this day. The F80 platform is just plain bad. Chassis feels big and numb. Steering sucks. Engine behaves like a diesel, and when you do get to the top-end it's a big disappointment of Excitebike noises. It sounds incredibly horrible inside. Interior is meh, you don't feel like you're in something special. The only thing the F80 M3 has going for it is it looks good. Beautiful car. The E9X M3 is far superior, I just stayed away because I didn't want to be a contestant on the Rod-Bearing lottery.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
M4 still sounds like utter digital garbage inside the cabin. It's worse than Nintendo 8-bit.

I had two E46 M3's back in the day, amazing car, great fun, one of my all-time favorites to this day.
Until the rear subframe shears off...

Loooved my E46, but it was a ticking time bomb.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Until the rear subframe shears off...

Loooved my E46, but it was a ticking time bomb.
Had both my E46 M3 subframes inspected at 43,000 and 28,000 respectively, no issues. Albeit, I did sell them once they were out of warranty. There was a class action lawsuit which remedied and repaired it, and it wasn't nearly as widespread as the S65 Rod-bearing issue that has plagued the E9X series.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I knew there was a reason my M3 kept needing repairs .... now with the M2 BMW has perfected their 'breaking system':

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...mpetition.html
"Breaking" and BMW go hand in hand nowadays
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had two E46 M3's back in the day, amazing car, great fun, one of my all-time favorites to this day. The F80 platform is just plain bad. Chassis feels big and numb. Steering sucks. Engine behaves like a diesel, and when you do get to the top-end it's a big disappointment of Excitebike noises. It sounds incredibly horrible inside. Interior is meh, you don't feel like you're in something special. The only thing the F80 M3 has going for it is it looks good. Beautiful car. The E9X M3 is far superior, I just stayed away because I didn't want to be a contestant on the Rod-Bearing lottery.
I've had two E92 M3s, and in my opinion they are extremely overrated. They feel heavy and numb, there's zero low end power even with all the bolt on performance bits and tunes you can throw at it, and stock there's no sound to it so you need an exhaust to make it sound decent. I loved the way it looked, but it was just too heavy and underpowered, and I never liked the way it drove. Even my heavy X5M feels more agile and fun than my E92s ever did. Not to mention it has the power the E92s never had.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Had both my E46 M3 subframes inspected at 43,000 and 28,000 respectively, no issues. Albeit, I did sell them once they were out of warranty. There was a class action lawsuit which remedied and repaired it, and it wasn't nearly as widespread as the S65 Rod-bearing issue that has plagued the E9X series.
Not enough miles to necessarily know, as it can take a long time to fatigue. The class action lawsuit did not remedy and repair it, it only offered an inspection and repair if you had the problem right then. And if you opted into the settlement and took the inspection, you waived your ability to make any claims in the future. I opted out and made sure the next owner knew that I had opted out. From what I read, a lot of E46s had the rear sub-frame issue eventually, as did the M Roadsters with the bigger motor. I loved the car, but couldn't live with that hanging over my head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "practical" GT3 replacement