Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Sorry, guys I’m Spider biased and from Los Angeles ..........driving through the canyons and PCH the Spider is the car for pure air enjoyment with that V8 sitting behind you. Any GT car will out handle the F car from steering and feel which is should it’s newer, but if your driving is what you listed the flexing feel is marginal as your not going to be track driving. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Why not consider McLaren? Aston Martin and the new Vantage?

There are so many amazing cars available today that I can see brand loyalty disappearing.

If you are really interested in how you are treated by the dealer/manufacturer, then the biggest variable is probably who runs your local dealerships for any brand. Your local Ferrari dealer may be phenomenal and not play games compared to your Porsche dealer, but this could be the opposite for someone else.

So you need to decide what's important. Buying used super cars is probably a much different experience than buying new as well.

For me, I'm most likely to start straying from Porsche because of the desire to try other brands and experiences regardless of Porsche. My local Porsche dealer has been great, but I agree that Porsche corporate has dropped the ball in trying to stop the ADM B.S. The way Porsche has handled this has sparked me to look elsewhere. I'm very interested in the new Vantage personally, but I'm also very interested in some older air cooled Porsches that take the dealerships out of the equation as well.

Until the economy calms down or takes a dive, I expect very few people are going to get special treatment. Too much money out there at the moment.

Edit: I will also add my brother has been a Ferrari guy for a while and has been extremely happy with his overall experience. I know several of his Ferrari friends who would say the same. But they are in Texas and I'm in Colorado. Different locations, different dealers.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I had a 458 for 3 years. A 488 now. A great car. Fast, comfortable and reliable. 2012 up came with 7 year maintenance. I am not a spyder guy but if you are get one. The I love 911’s and have had all the GT cars for the last 7 years. If I could only have one it would be the Ferrari.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Sam, go spend some time in one, drive it a bit and decide. There is nothing out there like a GT3.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 AM
sheerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both the 458 and mt .2 gt3...both are amazing but at the moment nothing i have owned beats the gt from a pure driving perspective!! The 458 has a beautiful sound, very powerful but at the end of the day if you want to jump in a car and road trip etc you prob won’t go to the Ferrari..hard to explain bc I have had zero issues with it but you can just tell it’s not built for everyday routine use..I KNOW people use it daily and I drive mine a lot but something about Ferrari that makes it feel “delicate” lol
Old 09-16-2018, 10:51 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

Wow Sam... who woulda thought of all people to switch it up to a Ferrari. 458 is definitely a nice swap... beautiful, sounds great, high revving. Definitely go with your gut, you’ll always be 2nd guessing if you don’t. BUT, it worth mentioning every company has a few black spots in their history, not just Porsche. Cheers!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I suggest talking to your insurance agent to get a quote on the 458. Liberty Mutual for one will not insure a Fcar. Liberty gives me incredibly good rates on RS' but won't touch Fcars. My 2 cents.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

For you, given that you are not a track guy, the 458 is a great choice. You have done your research on the three year warranty vs. seven years of maintenance (a lot of people confuse the two), extended warranty options etc. I have a few words of advice for you.

1. Try to find a one owner, well maintained car. They command a slight premium, but it is worth it.
2. If you buy from a dealer, request new tires, and an alignment. A proper alignment makes the handling much better.
3. For the tires, I highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
4. Make sure a new battery has been installed within the last two years.
5. While color is a highly personal choice, dark colors such as black hide the beautiful lines. Rosso Corsa, or silver look great.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

5 years with an Italia. It will not disappoint!!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

So Sam I guess the hunt for a pre owned cayenne really soured the Porsche experience?

458 sounds fantastic, the gearbox is a huge upgrade over the 430 and even the 430 scud.

On the spider vs coupe thing: that really depends on how long you will drive the car for. In the near term (1-3 years) the spider will remain more desirable in second hand market but then eventually the coupes always become more sought after (just like 911's) unless it's really a collectible car like the Speciale Aperta. Less to maintain and less to go wrong. Oh- and with Ferrari things will go wrong...less likely to be drivetrain now but more likely to be electronics, windows, tire sensors, headlights etc.

Driving wise- the steering is super light and the brakes and pedal inputs are wildly different than the GT3. Not better or worse across the board but very different across the board. In my personal opinion the 458 ride quality was very skateboardy and feels fragile/ flimsy. Porsche build quality is less sexy (all GT cars have black seats) but builds cars to last. No doubt the 458 is pretty but there are lots of pretty cars that sound great for 30-60% of your budget: F Type R coupe for example. 997.2 RS. Maybe a classic car since you will daily an SUV anyway.

I personally prefer the V12 cars which are WAY more car / engine and now are just about in the same price range. I'd personally take an F12 over a 458 for 225k. It's more practical. It's the better engine - and throw an exhaust on it and it will be just as loud etc.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck ...but I think you are wont me as happy.
if I was you I would go and find a 458 and drive it
for a day or so.
to really see if you like it.
458 is sexy girl so a lot of curves and looks good....when u get into her u might not like.
porsche not sexiest girl but when u get into her u are surprised.
thats my thoughts.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
I suggest talking to your insurance agent to get a quote on the 458. Liberty Mutual for one will not insure a Fcar. Liberty gives me incredibly good rates on RS' but won't touch Fcars. My 2 cents.
Great foresight - I just ran the online numbers and USAA would charge me $1200 every six months for insurance of a $100k F430
Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great thread. And I would say your thoughts mirror a growing subconscious around here.
Have you thought of an F 12 at all? Screaming Italian 12 cylinders are truly an experience
Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Great thread. And I would say your thoughts mirror a growing subconscious around here.
Have you thought of an F 12 at all? Screaming Italian 12 cylinders are truly an experience
personally my route would go that way if I went to the horsey cars.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
personally my route would go that way if I went to the horsey cars.
and their rapid depreciation schedule makes them great for a buyer

Quick Reply: OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?