Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Not going to compare cars, but are you sure you have a good understanding of the Ferrari buying and ownership experience? I was laughed at by the general manager of the local dealership when I wanted to buy a 488. They said it just wasn't going to happen for me since I'd never owned a Ferrari before. They would sell me a used 458 or a California, neither of which I was interested in. Especially after their attitude.

I ended up with a Huracan instead, and the buying and ownership experience with Lambo was absolutely amazing. What I learned from that community was that several people had had the same experience as me. I think Ferraris are fantastic cars, but if you're changing brands for the reasons you mentioned, it seems an odd choice of brand to switch to if you're looking for a better experience. From everything I've seen and heard, nobody plays more games, or are snootier or have more of what I would quite frankly call shady practices than Ferrari.
​​
​​​​​
Totally fair points, and I'm aware of the experience many have had with Ferrari/their reputation. What is funny to me is right now they are earnestly trying to get my business, and it could turn on a dime I'm sure. This might be something I just need to vet for myself and give them a chance same as I did for Porsche which they blew. Maybe I find Ferrari has potential for me because I'm not interested and not likely "worthy" plain and simple for the GT equivalent/limited edition models where the games/politics/shady dealings may be rampant. At least that makes it easy and clear. Figured if I am shopping for a used 458 where there are many options nationwide, the experience could be better because it's not a car in hyper demand and I am willing to be patient and work with someone willing to work with me. Unfortunately Lamborghini doesn't do much for me, but I also heard they are really placing an emphasis on customer service which is fantastic. I agree though that even for a new 488 purchase I've heard of games that typically you need to buy pre-owned first. Appreciate your thoughts either case

edit - also if the 458 did not exist, ala F430-> 488, I don't know that this thread would exist. That car, everything about it, specifically just ticks the right boxes for me from top to bottom
Old 09-16-2018, 12:24 AM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you need to take a deep breath here, personally I would never trade your GT3 for a 458. If u think Porsche and there tactics are bad, here is one for u, I know a friend who has a La Ferrari who also has several vintage Ferrari's he sent back to the factory for restoration. So u would think he is a VIP with the factory. He decides he would like a new Pista and orders one, everything is fine order accepted, then he gets a call from Ferrari and they say he needs to take a new GTC 4 Lusso or his Pista order will be cancelled. He says no way, I don't want one of those and keep this in mind ,this is coming from the factory not the dealer, the factory cancels his order immediately on the Pista. Really NICE HUH!!!! And don't get me wrong ,I have a Ferrari they are great cars but this is unreal!!!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:27 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

^ That is ****ty/unfortunate. IMO at least Ferrari has the ***** to come out and say it what it would take in terms of additional "premium" to net the allocation instead of making the clients assume/guess/speculate what they would need to do, what cars they would need to buy, to build a relationship sufficient enough for access to GT cars which is a completely speculative and BS policy. Not here to get into Ferrari vs. Porsche policy for LE models, thankfully I won't be buying any of the limited edition models or even spec'ing a Ferrari, but just potentially pick up a CPO used one. I just want a 458 if I find that the pros outweigh the cons, not trying to build a relationship with anyone as I'm not doing that/will not go down that route
Old 09-16-2018, 12:38 AM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
^ That is ****ty/unfortunate. IMO at least Ferrari has the ***** to come out and say it what it would take in terms of additional "premium" to net the allocation instead of making the clients assume/guess/speculate what they would need to do, what cars they would need to buy, to build a relationship sufficient enough for access to GT cars which is a completely speculative and BS policy. Not here to get into Ferrari vs. Porsche policy for LE models, thankfully I won't be buying any of the limited edition models or even spec'ing a Ferrari, but just potentially pick up a CPO used one. I just want a 458 if I find that the pros outweigh the cons, not trying to build a relationship with anyone as I'm not doing that/will not go down that route
I hear what your are saying, but it is a slippery slope with Ferrari, if something goes wrong with your car on warranty be prepared for them not to back you ,they are a very different company than Porsche. They will make excuses and say you caused this we are not at fault, to me its outrageous! In this day and age for a company to take that stance is shocking!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
I hear what your are saying, but it is a slippery slope with Ferrari, if something goes wrong with your car on warranty be prepared for them not to back you ,they are a very different company than Porsche. They will make excuses and say you caused this we are not at fault, to me its outrageous! In this day and age for a company to take that stance is shocking!
Very very fair points and I appreciate the input

Glad I posted this thread to just learn more about the pros and cons from people who have experience with the brand/cars to supplement what I've been researching and found on my own. Seems like finding a good & honest car manufacturer/dealer is hard to find these days, but a change of scenery from German to Italian could be nice - maybe at least to try once!
Old 09-16-2018, 12:58 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Very interesting thread. I had the same situation with Ferrari of BH and the 458 speciale. Told me I needed to buy an FF to get the 458 speciale. That was after buying 5 cars from them. Told them to eat **** and have never gone back. On the topic of the 458. Its a great car on every level...Ferrari nailed it with that car. I had a 2010 coupe I owned for about a year and put 6k miles on it. Loved the car and had no issues. Its a beautiful design and the motor is a screamer.

That said, the motor in the .2GT3 is a beast. Do what feels right and don't look back. Either way you win!

Last point. The 458 is great in the Malibu canyons.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:58 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have had a 458 spider and a coupe. The spider looks cool, but the driving experience with the coupe is infinitely better. The spider has cowl (steering wheel) shake when flexing and going over bumps. The top creaks as well. It’s not a McLaren with a carbon fiber tub where coupe and spider drive the same. If you’re just driving it around town I guess it makes no difference, but if you are a driving/Motorsport aficionado it will bother you. You will also be disappointed with the technology of the interior. The stereo and controls will suck. The AC controls are ancient and the AC may or may not be as good as your other cars. I think you just need real expectations. If you haven’t had a Ferrari, it’s a great itch to scratch. If you buy the car solely for the drive, the sound and the history you will be very happy. If you expect more, you may be disappointed. Lastly, like others said here, Ferrari plays the same games that Porsche plays now. The price to play will be more than Porsche. The GT3/GT3 RS and the 458 are probably my favorite cars I have ever owned.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:02 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
I think you need to take a deep breath here, personally I would never trade your GT3 for a 458. If u think Porsche and there tactics are bad, here is one for u, I know a friend who has a La Ferrari who also has several vintage Ferrari's he sent back to the factory for restoration. So u would think he is a VIP with the factory. He decides he would like a new Pista and orders one, everything is fine order accepted, then he gets a call from Ferrari and they say he needs to take a new GTC 4 Lusso or his Pista order will be cancelled. He says no way, I don't want one of those and keep this in mind ,this is coming from the factory not the dealer, the factory cancels his order immediately on the Pista. Really NICE HUH!!!! And don't get me wrong ,I have a Ferrari they are great cars but this is unreal!!!
+1.
There probably needs to be a separation of various issues here.

What has happened with Champion Porsche is a shameful matter. However, I am not ashamed to own a Porsche just because of this incident. I love driving my Porsche and wouldn't want to sell it because of this ADM issue or Champion Porsche issue. Secondly, I don't need to go through the ADM experience again if I don't need to buy another Porsche. Thirdly, I can always go to another Porsche dealership for service if I am unhappy with one. Fourthly, I wouldn't sell my GT Porsche at a loss when I enjoy driving it.

now, if I fall in love with a different car then I must determine the net benefit of buying such a car. If the 458 is compelling in its own right then go ahead and buy it if the transaction makes sense. I mean if you live in Malibu and love living there and love your house and such you probably won't move to Kenya simply because you didn't like the politicians in Washington.

if all of us start selling our Porsche GT cars because we don't like the business tactics of PAG or PCNA or independent dealerships then we probably are not Porsche car enthusiasts and shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Now, we should certainly raise our collective voices against malpractices or those would never come in check. We must make our displeasure be known to PCNA and I am certain they will take serious note of that because PAG does depend on the consumer for its ongoing business.

Many of of my friends own Ferarri's. They have had good experiences with purchases. However, they all say that the cost of Ferarri ownership is pretty high. Much higher than cost of ownership of a GT Porsche. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy the car in good health.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:10 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by richk
Very interesting thread. I had the same situation with Ferrari of BH and the 458 speciale. Told me I needed to buy an FF to get the 458 speciale. That was after buying 5 cars from them. Told them to eat **** and have never gone back. On the topic of the 458. Its a great car on every level...Ferrari nailed it with that car. I had a 2010 coupe I owned for about a year and put 6k miles on it. Loved the car and had no issues. Its a beautiful design and the motor is a screamer.

That said, the motor in the .2GT3 is a beast. Do what feels right and don't look back. Either way you win!

Last point. The 458 is great in the Malibu canyons.
Thanks Rich, there is just something about the 458 that does it for me, not speciale or 488 so maybe that works in my favor. I'll take any car through the Malibu canyons, heaven on Earth!!

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have had a 458 spider and a coupe. The spider looks cool, but the driving experience with the coupe is infinitely better. The spider has cowl (steering wheel) shake when flexing and going over bumps. The top creaks as well. It’s not a McLaren with a carbon fiber tub where coupe and spider drive the same. If you’re just driving it around town I guess it makes no difference, but if you are a driving/Motorsport aficionado it will bother you. You will also be disappointed with the technology of the interior. The stereo and controls will suck. The AC controls are ancient and the AC may or may not be as good as your other cars. I think you just need real expectations. If you haven’t had a Ferrari, it’s a great itch to scratch. If you buy the car solely for the drive, the sound[, the looks,] and the history you will be very happy. If you expect more, you may be disappointed. Lastly, like others said here, Ferrari plays the same games that Porsche plays now. The price to play will be more than Porsche. The GT3/GT3 RS and the 458 are probably my favorite cars I have ever owned.
This is exactly why I wanted to create this thread, had no idea about the AC and I guess something to test in person as I do like how the Porsche's AC blasts cold air on a hot day. Not a make or break thing for me but still good to know. Very interesting to hear about the Spider vs the coupe in your experience too, and being able to see the V8 is just so damn cool. The cowl would bother me, I heard of less structural rigidity with the Spider but did not translate it to that. Not too worried about the tech or the controls as I'll have the C4 as the daily (for now), with the stereo was thinking of the hifi system to at least help a little bit since I do like listening to music a lot (even with the V8). Thanks for sharing your input, sounds like the 458 may be a nice car to get into for me. Added looks in your quote as it just stunning to me
Old 09-16-2018, 01:11 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Very very fair points and I appreciate the input

Glad I posted this thread to just learn more about the pros and cons from people who have experience with the brand/cars to supplement what I've been researching and found on my own. Seems like finding a good & honest car manufacturer/dealer is hard to find these days, but a change of scenery from German to Italian could be nice - maybe at least to try once!
I totally understand where you're coming from. I wanted to scratch that Italian exotic itch. While I loved the Huracan buying and ownership experience, the car just didn't drive like a Porsche so here I am now with a brand new GTS and a brand new GT3. Full circle.

​​​​​​I really miss the way my Huracan looked and the way it sounded, lowered with a loud exhaust it was absolutely amazing. Just didn't enjoy driving it.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Really smart time to look at 458s as they have depreciated quite a bit. Love th ed Challenge series seats.....OH and they have different caliper colors too
Old 09-16-2018, 02:57 AM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Didnt read anything but the title but go for a 430 Scud instead of 458. Much more fun to drive and gives an RS 4.0 type experience in a Ferrari way.

458 is fast but softer and less edgy. The Speciale is great as well but 430 Scud is a good value for what it is.

I’ve been able to experience each car mentioned opinion, so I like think it means something. Lol
Old 09-16-2018, 03:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ yes but the stradale is better than both
Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 AM
737Drvr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a nice dilemma here. As others have said, you can’t go wrong either way. I haven’t been on here long, so pardon me for asking. Is your current GT3 a manual or PDK? If it’s a 991.2 manual and you like rowing your own gears, I would lean towards keeping the GT3. Probably one of the most engaging cars out there for us manual enthusiasts. Plus it will probably hold its value well for the next couple of years. If you have a PDK variant, then that would make more sense to make the switch. From a technology standpoint, the GT3 is the winner (time marches on). So, there is that to consider along with your current car being under manufacturer warranty.

The driving experience...what can I say, driving an exotic Italian car is another level to me. While I have a Performante, I’m pretty sure the Ferrari guys would echo my sentiment that driving/even owning one of these is a very emotional experience. Besides our significant others, cars are what tug at our heart strings. I mean, this is a car forum after all. And no other car does better at tugging than an Italian exotic. I still get weak in the knees every time I go in the garage and see my Performante. Driving it is even better! So, I wouldn’t blame you one bit for getting a 458 despite the GT3 being the technically better car. I would go for a coupe as well. It’s nice to see that work of art in the engine bay and the car is more stiff—as stated by others.

The other big factor you mentioned in this potential change is your treatment by Porsche. It’s a shame when a manufacturer and the lion’s share of its dealers turn a blind eye and alienate a large number of enthusiasts. And now you’re looking into other marques. Shocking! When the economy turns, guess who the dealers will reach out to. But you’ll be gone. And I don’t blame you one bit. I, as many others, have been or are in the same shoes. I’ll be honest, I’ve been on the hunt for a .2 GT3 manual. I know that ADM is the reality but what gets me is how blasé most of the dealers are about it. For the ADM, the least they could do is say, yes we are charging you an ADM. It is XXX. Are you good with that. Yes, I am. Ok sir. To show we genuinely appreciate your business, we’re going to throw in clear film protection and ship the the car to you on our dime. Give me/us a little something to show some appreciation for spending our hard earned dollars with the dealer. Sometimes it’s the little things in life. Maybe even say the next GT car is at MSRP if we have the allocation. But this has not been the case. I want to return to the Porsche brand (I had a 997.1 GT3). They make awesome machines! But the whole ADM experience is a turnoff. With ADM, other cars become compelling. Just like what’s occurring with you to a degree. A 600LT is now in the ballpark and the guy I buy my exotics from treats me exceptionally well. I’d almost rather take the depreciation hit on the Mac and feel great about my buying experience. It’s also a hell of a car to me. We’ll see what time brings.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. The hunt is a good part of the fun. Look forward to seeing how it shakes out for you.

Last edited by 737Drvr; 09-16-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rave426
Didnt read anything but the title but go for a 430 Scud instead of 458. Much more fun to drive and gives an RS 4.0 type experience in a Ferrari way.

458 is fast but softer and less edgy. The Speciale is great as well but 430 Scud is a good value for what it is.

I’ve been able to experience each car mentioned opinion, so I like think it means something. Lol
I'm in the UK and also have a 991.2GT3 PDK and seriously considering changing it for a Ferrari..I was initially only looking at 488s until i realised i would miss the NASP 9k screamer.I'm now just looking at 458 and a 430 Scud.Both are currently fair value in the Ferrari world although the Scud is about £50K more than the 458.
If i go for a 458 i would never consider the Spider for the very compromised driving dynamics, due to the lack of torsional rigidity.I sat in a white Scud last week and if you want a special,rare and incredible sounding car for weekend canyon driving its the one to get IMO.Its so purposefully focussed with its exposed carbon fibre interior with racing buckets and exposed aluminium floor its a road going Race car.Its too raw to use on a regular basis however where a 458 coupe is more suitable.

Quick Reply: OT: Any GT3 owners' experience with 458?