Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed my GT3.2 RS at Monza

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident and a bit surprised to read all the anger directed at other individual with no knowledge or context of incident. Accidents are going to happen if you track enough but glad you’re safe and sound.
Anyway interested what speeds you were hitting on front straight at Mugello and did car get light over the rise? Amazes and frightens me when MotoGP bikes lift front wheel at 200+ mph as they crest the rise!!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Even the title has some envy to it. That is from the west coast of the US anyway. And of course as Johnsopha stated, I am very happy to hear your report and see your reports regarding the contact and the repair.

Carry on!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris,
Glad the damage is so minimal, and now you have a spare rear wheel.
"what the hell" seems more polite than what most of us would have said...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Sorry to hear about the accident and a bit surprised to read all the anger directed at other individual with no knowledge or context of incident. Accidents are going to happen if you track enough but glad you’re safe and sound.
Anyway interested what speeds you were hitting on front straight at Mugello and did car get light over the rise? Amazes and frightens me when MotoGP bikes lift front wheel at 200+ mph as they crest the rise!!
We juuuust touched 260kpkh. Car was rock solid but was told by my PI that its very important to put the car in the right place on the straight. He told me to aim for the double "ll" in the second Mugello sign and that would set the car on the right trajectory for the braking zone and corner.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:07 AM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The green GT3 is owned by Jim Chambers of Trackgraphic. Nice guy.

Glad everything worked our for you.

Till next time.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Dante
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Was my first time at Mugello and it surprised me. Even after watching multiple videos, I did not appreciate how dramatic the elevation changes were, how much of it is off-camber and how narrow it is with hardly any run-off areas...and any run off areas that do exist are mostly pebbles. Overall I found it a tricky circuit with only one opportunity to relax down the long main straight. For the rest of the lap you had to be really focused because every corner/section is linked, you screw up one corner and you screw up the next couple. If you screw up too much, you are into the kitty litter or a fence.

Fortunately, I was with my friend (and PI) who has raced there many times so he was able to quickly show me how to drive the track (and how not to drive the track). Mugello is his favourite track of all. He loves it.

Unfortunately, because we arrived late in the day, we only got 1.5 sessions so did not really get enough track time to get truly comfortable with the layout. I would like to go back for another crack at it....but it's a loooong way from Belgium.
You took a perfect picture of the track features, it's really challenging going fast there...and bringing out the best from an RS you can give a hard time to any other car since almost 50% of the track is curve (medium to high speed)

Yes ..very long way from Belgium but very often there are dates very close to trackdays in Imola, and doing both in a couple of days is definively worth even from Belgium
Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

And also Dijon! I think its the hardest track to go fast I've ever been to.
Tire killer as well. Killed a set of tires each day!

Id love to go Mugello and Imola, do they have track days in the winter?
I know Ascari does, maybe I can also get to Italy, or they shut down in the winter?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Dante
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And also Dijon! I think its the hardest track to go fast I've ever been to.
Tire killer as well. Killed a set of tires each day!

Id love to go Mugello and Imola, do they have track days in the winter?
I know Ascari does, maybe I can also get to Italy, or they shut down in the winter?
Yes of course, most of trackdays are out of the motorsport season when races take place in most of we.
Usually there are many trackdays at Mugello from mid october till the beginning of december, then again from early february till end of march...plus some dates spot across the year.
Imola doesn't offer a regular schedule due to noise limits since the track is very very close to the city centre, you must check from time to time for trackday calendar.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:00 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Great for you for getting out and using your cars like they are meant to be used! Most everyone would have packed it in after the initial damage event. Well done fixing it and pressing on with what sounds like an amazing trip.

You mentioned your touring was your least favorite. Well one of them has to be last I guess. Something specific you do not like about it or it is just not as good as the others?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante
Yes of course, most of trackdays are out of the motorsport season when races take place in most of we.
Usually there are many trackdays at Mugello from mid october till the beginning of december, then again from early february till end of march...plus some dates spot across the year.
Imola doesn't offer a regular schedule due to noise limits since the track is very very close to the city centre, you must check from time to time for trackday calendar.
Thank you.
Production date is December, will try to stall pickup at the factory until February for the Southern tracks and hopefully get a few days in at the Ring in April.
Only 3 months max for ED now :-(

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Dante
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thank you.
Production date is December, will try to stall pickup at the factory until February for the Southern tracks and hopefully get a few days in at the Ring in April.
Only 3 months max for ED now :-(
Great! feel free to contact whether should you need infos about italian tracks and come here!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... And another thank-you to DuckieRS who was also at Monza and Mugello for his help and moral support too.
Glad we could be of any assistance. We were very happy to finally see you at Mugello and felt sorry to leave for home.

Fortunately, I was with my friend (and PI) who has raced there many times so he was able to quickly show me how to drive the track (and how not to drive the track). Mugello is his favourite track of all. He loves it. ... I would like to go back for another crack at it... but it's a loooong way from Belgium.
He's a great and funny guy. Will remember his grin and waving in my rear-view mirror for ever. Like a hot knife through butter he sliced through traffic.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:01 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I took delivery of my GT3.2 PDK in April last year, I have done 16,000 kms in it. On top of that I have also done 6,000kms in my GT3 Touring and 8,000kms in my AMG GTR. That's a total of 38,000 kms across 4 cars (GT3.2 RS, GT3.2 PDK, GT3 Touring and AMG GTR). So I think I am in a pretty good position to say unequivocally that the RS is the best of the bunch. But the AMG GTR is close behind. My least liked car is my GT3 Touring.
Hi Chris, I'd really appreciate your take on whether the GT3RS is louder/harsher/dronier than the GT3 Touring [I know you have compared the GT3 PDK with the GT3 Touring]

Quick Reply: Crashed my GT3.2 RS at Monza