Sponsored by:

Essential GT3T options for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I would reconsider on sofas...been sitting on a GT3T with sofas for a long time.

Sold my GT3T with buckets last week for 25k over. You can look at my for sale thread in classifieds.

You can build a car with buckets and PCCB in the mid 160's...that would be my suggestion.
hmm. Food for thought. Thank you. What do you mean "been sitting on a GT3T with sofas for a long time"?

I checked your sale thread. Glad you got what you were asking. That is my hope as well. I think a new GT3T, never driven, should be worth something this spring. Just need to decide which way I'm going with options, stripper vs buckets/PCCB, etc.

Last edited by Drifting; 09-14-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Agree - as many no cost options as possible.
Standard color - White or black (I prefer white).
4-way seats.
Front axle lift. (many seem to think they need it)
Extended range fuel tank. (again, many seem to think it's needed)
All the 'free' options - leather steering wheel and gear lever, smoking pkg, floor mats, luggage net, interior trim brushed aluminum (leather make it too mono-chromatic)

The above are all that is 'required'.
These may make it more appealing:
Heated seats.
Bi-xenon with PDLS.
Bose. (it is a 'touring' after all)

I would add nothing more. Certainly not PCCB's or the God--awful wart.
^this sums it up...Except flip a coin for 4-ways vs LWBS and if the coin lands on 4-ways consider flipping again. Smart thread. Good Luck With Spec/Sale
Old 09-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I'm curious why you're focusing on a stripper build if your goal is simply to resell the car. Stripper builds are a relatively low percentage of GT3 builds. I think there's more demand and more premium to be had in a well optioned GT3. Unless you simply want to minimize your out of pocket at purchase, I'd build the most desirable car you can build, rather than the cheapest.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I think the point of a stripper is to be “the cheapest GT3 touring in the United States” Hoover’s garage style.

Because there are so many higher spec builds for sale (admittedly few tourings, although there should be more soon), a stripper will stand out on price, if nothing else. And, the Porsche launch/press car 911R had a rubber dash, LWB, and FAL. So there is some precedent for thinking people might want something like that. I certainly do. Other than skipping buckets and subbing 4 way heated — which I strongly considered but when I added leather backs it got close enough to buckets in price that I stuck with buckets — what I recommended to Drifting is what I ordered, minus the fire extinguisher (that’s just one of my things). In fact, I am looking for a set of touring 4 way buckets so I can have a folding passenger seat so I am not part of the anti-sofa crowd.

Look, I may be completely off the wall here and the way to maximize profit is with a special (but not PTS) color with every option box ticked and maybe some CXX for good measure, but it seems like there are a lot of those builds for sale by dealers. Are PCCBs great, sure. Are LEDs better than Xenons, yup. Do cosmetic options make your car stand out, absolutely. But, even with high end things, a lot of people shop on price, and I just don’t see recouping the $20k in additional options back at resale. It is certainly not the case with 991.1 GT3, where heavy spec cars don’t command that much of a premium over strippers. Certainly not enough to cover the options costs. In fact, I think the only positive value options are tank (indisputably) and FAL (probably).

And no, I have zero desire to sell my incoming car and resale was not a consideration of mine. I also think you could do a lot worse on resale than copying it and springing for LWBs.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Not every has to have them, but everyone loves an inexpensive car.
You'll probably make the most profit this way which is smart. Go 4-ways, standard brakes. I don't think anyone could argue that's not the best value. Though, maybe heated seats an an option? Thinking of options which might be on someone's list as a hard stop. Depending on where you live people tend to put heated seats on that list--even though it's probably not sensible to ever be driving a car like that when you would use it. Thinking of want people want ahead of buying it, not what they would want after owning it.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
This is the one and only time I"m going to respond to a flipper comment. I spent 10 years buying several cars and building a relationship with a dealer that promised an MSRP .2 car years in advance, then they turned about and denied me an allocation for this entire production cycle. They finally came though very recently but only after I was weeks away from a long planned euro delivery with a .2 for which I had to pay 25k over. I can't change my trip at this point, and Europe in September is much different than December.

I'm going to register this car with Montana LLC so no sales tax. 20-25K may not be much to you captains of industry, but it means something to me. I'm confident I will get no less than 15K back and possibly up to 25k this spring when there are no new manual Tourings available for the next 2.5 years.
‘In most states, an LLC created solely for the purpose of avoiding sales tax will be viewed as a sham, and the state will assess sales taxes on the LLC’s owners personally.’ (https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ntana-llc.html)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

Get no options. Just black with free options maybe the fire extinguisher and the extended tank as their essentially free.

No no you don’t “need” fal
you don’t need full leather (to me feels way sportier without, ur not buying a Mercedes S class trolls)
you def don’t need pccb
you don’t need anything, if it was necessary Porsche would make it standard

i am ordering a gt3 rs with Miami blue paint extinguisher and tank and that’s it! If you think you “need” more you just don’t get what Porsche’s are supposed to do. And yes I live in LA I know how to not scrape. Oh and btw Porsche did this crazy concept where they put a replaceable black plastic bottom front bumper u can beat the **** out of and replace for $150.

At 143k base price you won’t have much trouble dumping it for 163k. A gt3 is a gt3

that being said u should just give someone the allocation, karma is nice to have. Flipping is a lot more headache and bad juju than it’s worth. Find someone who will really love it and use it as intended, drive it 5k+ miles per year. Also once the run in December stops and there are a zillion gt3’s gt3 rs’s and gt2 rs’s form the flippers i forsee a lot of people getting burned. If u gave it to me I would consider throwing u 5k to take it and build how I want...and yes I’d get it exactly as specked above 😬
Old 09-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
That being said u should just give someone the allocation, karma is nice to have. Flipping is a lot more headache and bad juju than it’s worth. Find someone who will really love it and use it as intended, drive it 5k+ miles per year. Also once the run in December stops and there are a zillion gt3’s gt3 rs’s and gt2 rs’s form the flippers i forsee a lot of people getting burned.
I agree with this. Selling a car is a pain the ***, lots of time wasters, and you will have the added burden of trying to get your money back rather than just minimizing your loss. 992 base cars will be announced by the time your car arrives which could make the Touring seem like yesterday’s news. Seems like a lot of hassle and stress to maybe make some money, maybe not.

Edit - did not state the obvious that you are denying someone the joy of being able to order and spec the car the way they want.

Last edited by Bardman; 09-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:32 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

To clarify, you bought two GT3 allocations @ $25K over (and selling one at a $5k loss)? And the dealer with the non-euro delivery one won't give you your money back/let you back out of that allocation?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
To clarify, you bought two GT3 allocations @ $25K over (and selling one at a $5k loss)? And the dealer with the non-euro delivery one won't give you your money back/let you back out of that allocation?
Yeah, he’s the victim of a greedy stealership!!!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I think what drifting said happened was he had a long term relationship with one dealer who he was hoping to get a car from. That did not happen until after he bought this allocation he is selling for $25k over. Presumably the long term relationship dealer gave him MSRP or some other deal too good to pass up.

I can certainly see something like that happeneing.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

DON'T FLIP IT. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gravs
DON'T FLIP IT. TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT.
flip implies a profit, he is taking a loss.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
flip implies a profit, he is taking a loss.
He's got 2 cars. I got none. Because of people like him. He's paid an ADM (bad). And he's flipping the second for a profit (worse). I have no sympathy for the overall slight loss.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

If I were in Drifting's shoes (and I'm not and may not know his situation exactly), I would

1) Back out from the car with ED (and get ADM back)

2) Build this car to my liking

3) Do a trip to germany and drive with Porsche rental car.

It's too much of a headache to handle two cars.

Quick Reply: Essential GT3T options for the masses