Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essential GT3T options for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

When RL has a serious thread on "how to flip"...

I'm not sure why you don't just walk away instead of literally building a car you don't want. Seems like a waste of time and money to speculate like this especially when you factor in Taxes, Fees, Registration, Time etc...
Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
When RL has a serious thread on "how to flip"...

I'm not sure why you don't just walk away instead of literally building a car you don't want. Seems like a waste of time and money to speculate like this especially when you factor in Taxes, Fees, Registration, Time etc...
This is the one and only time I"m going to respond to a flipper comment. I spent 10 years buying several cars and building a relationship with a dealer that promised an MSRP .2 car years in advance, then they turned about and denied me an allocation for this entire production cycle. They finally came though very recently but only after I was weeks away from a long planned euro delivery with a .2 for which I had to pay 25k over. I can't change my trip at this point, and Europe in September is much different than December.

I'm going to register this car with Montana LLC so no sales tax. 20-25K may not be much to you captains of industry, but it means something to me. I'm confident I will get no less than 15K back and possibly up to 25k this spring when there are no new manual Tourings available for the next 2.5 years.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:43 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would get basic black. Its free and, while some people don't like black cars, a lot do. I have seen no increase in price on metallic black which is $720 over the regular A1 black.

I did not actually take delivery of the first touring I ordered. Long story, not my or my dealers fault, and all worked out in the end as I have a PTS touring incoming and my dealer got to sell the first car -- twice. Everyone is really happy.

I did not get the $3500 full leather on either build. When I could not get natural leather for less than $30k I said forget it as I am not a big fan of stock Porsche leather. That being said, the "free leather" package includes the strips on the dash (where the cupholder is) and the center console trim on top in leather rather than the standard black anodized on a touring. I think it classes things up a bit on a rubber dash car and is less likely to scratch than the aluminium and it makes the interior look even more teutonic. The code is EKD. On a full leather interior car, it does also include the strips on the doors in leather. May not be as cool on a full leather car as it puts three pieces of leather stacked together. For reference, my build (with PTS) is PJDVSUR8
Old 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Why not just walk away from deal at dealer!?

If you must build a car, but here's how I'd spec for quick sale:
GT Silver (less optimal alt Black or White)
Buckets
FAL
Larger tank (irrelevant in my experience but people feel it's essential)
Leather interior (personally could care less about this option but most people seem to want it)
Xenon PDLS
Auto dimming mirrors

If you go GT Silver, I'd suggest Touring black and spec black wheels.

That's about it. Good luck.
This. Remember you are not trying to build the best GT3T, you are trying to build the GT3T which people will want to buy. 4-way probably is the best fit. But people want Buckets. See the 911R market where people turn up their nose for cars without them. Trim in leather or black aluminum, doesn't matter--when in doubt match the marketing images. GT Silver is a great classic choice, goes very well with black options.

The only thing that would be a debate is the PCCB. They look fantastic, and for non-track sounds like they are just fine. Worth the cost? That is the question. Depends if it is on a buyer's list.

Matching the belts to the brake color is cool to half of the people and a turn off to the other half. Safer to keep it black and people can change that after if they want.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:50 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2JAVA0

The above is what I would order for maximum potential return. Maybe even skip the autodim as below.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJVNV2G2

This one is a $148k build with FAL, tank, and heated seats. At $168k you would be $25k below the next cheapest touring on the market. There is always someone (usually me!) looking for the cheapest spec available.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional comments evilfij and tangerine.

I'm not going to do LWBs. I think those are important for a winged GT3 or 911R, but I believe a majority of GT3T owners would prefer sofas, and I"m going to spend the extra money for LWBs unless the vast majority of Touring owners want LWBs, which I don't think is the case. Same thing for PCCBs. Not every has to have them, but everyone loves an inexpensive car.

I do want a serious stripper build. It sounds like matching trim and wheel options to GT silver is specific to various owners, and so I"m likely just going to choose the free basic black, and the standard free silver trim, unless most of you feel GT silver is more desirable.

Now you have me even debating auto dimming. I guess it's not essential, but I think most buyers would like it particularly if they want to daily their Touring. With dimming but just the free leather option, its coming in at $148,780. Will easily be the least expensive new Touring on the market this Spring.

Evilfij, does the free leather option (EDK), not include the primary leather strip along the top of the dashboard? I'm worried I may turn off a lot of buyers if I don't have the basic leather option, yet leather does add a lot to the cost.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Agree - as many no cost options as possible.
Standard color - White or black (I prefer white).
4-way seats.
Front axle lift. (many seem to think they need it)
Extended range fuel tank. (again, many seem to think it's needed)
All the 'free' options - leather steering wheel and gear lever, smoking pkg, floor mats, luggage net, interior trim brushed aluminum (leather makes it too mono-chromatic)

The above are all that is 'required'.
These may make it more appealing:
Heated seats.
Bi-xenon with PDLS.
Bose. (it is a 'touring' after all)

I would add nothing more. Certainly not PCCB's or the God--awful wart.

Last edited by Dr.Bill; 09-14-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

EKD includes:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991LXDASH.html

and

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X1LCT.html

no leather on the dash top.

Attached is a pic of the interior with it in black. Ok no it’s not. Won’t upload. I really like it, but I don’t think it will make much difference.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the best way to sell the car post build for the most money is to build a stripper with base sofa seats. If I were building a touring to sell, buckets and PCCBs would be a must.

GT Silver
LWBs
PCCB
Lift
Leather/platinum stitching
Bose
Platinum Satin Wheels
Satin Aluminum interior trim
Auto dimming mirrors
All the free stuff
Old 09-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Agree with above. Id get lwbs as a lot of buyer think its a must.

this is my recommended buils. Pdls+ is a must. The greyed out reflextor gives a deep look to touring vs cheap chromy look of base light.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJITMPP0
Old 09-14-2018, 03:38 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
Agree with above. Id get lwbs as a lot of buyer think its a must.

this is my recommended buils. Pdls+ is a must. The greyed out reflextor gives a deep look to touring vs cheap chromy look of base light.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJITMPP0
Appreciate the thoughts on PDLS. I personally would never order the base lights, and I agree the PDLS looks much better, particulary on black car.

I may try to figure out how to do a RL on the LWB question. I don't think they are as essential for a touring vs a 991R or winged GT car, but if the majority disagrees with me I'll add them.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

I emailed the admins, but if anyone can tell me how to start a poll, I'd be very interested to know what percentage of RL want LWB vs sofas in a Touring.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
I emailed the admins, but if anyone can tell me how to start a poll, I'd be very interested to know what percentage of RL want LWB vs sofas in a Touring.
there was already a poll like that.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij

there was already a poll like that.

Again, thank you so much evilfij for all your helpful comments.

i searched for that poll and found it. It answers my question. The poll was almost an even split. 49% sofa and 51% LWB.

Since the sofas are free and I"m going for a stripper really low MSRP car, I'll go with the free 4 way sofas.

I think the only thing left I'm really wondering about is whether or not to include the standard full leather package on my otherwise stripper Touring build.
A really low stripper MSRP car, by definition doesn't include all the extra frills, as thats what keeps the price low. If you add leather, you add 18 ways, PCCBs, Bose, etc.

If the vote is 50/50 for/against leather in a stripper build, then I may just leave off the standard full leather. MSRP would only be $148,080.

However if 75% of you argue for full leather even on a stripper car, then I may include it.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:03 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I would reconsider on sofas...been sitting on a GT3T with sofas for a long time.

Sold my GT3T with buckets last week for 25k over. You can look at my for sale thread in classifieds.

You can build a car with buckets and PCCB in the mid 160's...that would be my suggestion.

Quick Reply: Essential GT3T options for the masses