Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Why would Champion file a Civil case vs. a Criminal one? There's a lot of scammed customers and a lot of money involved here. I assume to keep this all under the radar.
Likely because Champion hasn’t technically been a direct victim of the criminal behavior, the individuals who paid monies to Shiraz are the criminal victims. But Champion does have a basis for civil charges on a number of bases. I expect it will require one of the direct victims filing a criminal complaint. Surprised at least one of them hasn’t already done so.

When I was scammed by a Verizon employee they made me file criminal charges and send them the paperwork before they would reimburse me.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

He was a Vice President of Marketing, did sales, and was employed by them. He stole from the company and scammed customers in his role while also employed there and ran off with $2.5MM in Champion customer deposits. I'd say Champion is a direct victim.

On a side note: He also worked directly with brokers (a few of which all of you know), and sometimes paid their commission directly from him and Autosports. He also would refer to Dave Maraj as his uncle.

From first hand information, everyone knew what he was doing there. At some point, he just decided start scamming customers and run off with the cash. I know for a fact one transaction where he took the ADM in the same fashion, and even delivered the car to the customer. ADM was not shown on purchase paperwork and brokers paid by Shiraaz. I'm assuming this had been going on a long time with knowledge of upper management at Champion. For whatever reason, he decided to take it to the next level (taking deposits with no intention of following through) shortly before he skipped town.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Anyway, we'll wait to see if there are any criminal charges filed by any scammed Champion customers. Seems like the only thing that may get the authorities attention here. It's my *assumption* Champion doesn't want this case going to court and dug into as it would implicate them as well in some way. File a civil case, collect the insurance, and Shiraaz is never found. Ideal scenario.

Shiraaz is probably having a beer now reading about the civil complaints. He could get pulled over and ID'd by a police officer and they wouldn't have a clue, nor obligated to do anything.

Until then .....
Old 10-14-2018, 04:18 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
He was a Vice President of Marketing, did sales, and was employed by them. He stole from the company and scammed customers in his role while also employed there and ran off with $2.5MM in Champion customer deposits. I'd say Champion is a direct victim.

On a side note: He also worked directly with brokers (a few of which all of you know), and sometimes paid their commission directly from him and Autosports. He also would refer to Dave Maraj as his uncle.

From first hand information, everyone knew what he was doing there. At some point, he just decided start scamming customers and run off with the cash. I know for a fact one transaction where he took the ADM in the same fashion, and even delivered the car to the customer. ADM was not shown on purchase paperwork and brokers paid by Shiraaz. I'm assuming this had been going on a long time with knowledge of upper management at Champion. For whatever reason, he decided to take it to the next level (taking deposits with no intention of following through) shortly before he skipped town.
I'd love to know how many of those type of transactions he pulled off (Champion sold the GT cars at MSRP on their booked but he pocketed the ADM with the broker). My guess is that he's been doing that for years and then when the dollars got big with the GT2RS it was too much money not to pocket and disappear later with 7 figures. I'm so glad that I have a relationship with a good guy dealer that I don't have to deal with ADMs and brokers.

Last edited by usctrojanGT3; 10-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:32 PM
STG
Race Director

^^ He was soliciting 2RS deposits and I'm sure got quite a few, hence the $2.5MM

Not like he made that all with $15K GT3 ADM's. He had moved to RS and 2RS ADM's. So the bank records will show who Shiraaz paid commissions to out of the Autosports account. Will Champion go after the brokers to try and recoup those funds?
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^ He was soliciting 2RS deposits and I'm sure got quite a few, hence the $2.5MM

Not like he made that all with $15K GT3 ADM's. He had moved to RS and 2RS ADM's. So the bank records will show who Shiraaz paid commissions to out of the Autosports account. Will Champion go after the brokers to try and recoup those funds?
Oh, that'll be interesting. I wonder if those brokers are sweating a bit. I know I would be.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
There has been no claim by Champion that he stole money directly from them. Unless there was, they have not been the victim of a crime. If there was, I expect they would file charges against him. There would be no reason not to do so. What surprises me is that they have not asked or required the victims to do so.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There has been no claim by Champion that he stole money directly from them. Unless there was, they have not been the victim of a crime. If there was, I expect they would file charges against him. There would be no reason not to do so. What surprises me is that they have not asked or required the victims to do so.

If he's selling cars on their behalf and taking customer deposits, isn't that stealing money from them? I know it was going into his account, but still stealing .... Correct?

Also, Champion was able to freeze his personal accounts and get records from them. How are they able to to that if they were his personal accounts? Possible under a civil case??

Also, anyway for the case to be made public? They asked for it to be confidential going forward here.

If the case turns criminal, does that change things? Can only a civil case be confidential?

I would encourage any victims to file a criminal complaint. That won't stop you from getting your money back. Get an attorney too.

Need an attorneys input here on above questions ...

Last edited by STG; 10-14-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

If it can be determined that SS was conducting his criminal enterprise without Champion's knowledge, Champion could claim they were a victim as well. Which I'm thinking would be their stance.

SS misrepresented himself to the customers and it's obvious he diverted the funds for his own use. The funds weren't his, they were Champion's to hold, pending the sale of the asset. This brings an interesting point as to these types of deposits, they should be held in escrow, not sitting in a dealer's account, the abuse of the current practice is all too plain here.

Champion petitioned the courts to freeze SS assets in an attempt to regain monies that SS collected, allegedly on their behalf, for the sale of Champion assets. It helps their argument that they're victims as well.

Court filings, applications to the court, can be public record and available. On-going criminal investigation documents aren't available nor are attorney-client communications, When all is said and done, non-disclosure agreements from settlements may obscure results.

Champion could indeed file a criminal report. SS could face charges of Grand Theft, Organized Fraud and from conducting an on-going criminal enterprise as all this occurred over a significant period of time.

I would imagine that if SS could be found and arrested, the case would be of interest to the prosecution and defense, lots of tasty tidbits abound.

Not an attorney, just speculation based on observation of hearsay representations.

Last edited by BSO; 10-14-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Champion can’t just be a victim. They are responsible for for what their employee does and fails to do.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by flcat
I think I met with Shiraaz a few years back, and I got into a discussion with him over the hi flow cat converters. He told me that ceramic cats were stronger than metallic cats. This is not true, and I left. I think I heard that Dave Maraj was his uncle.

If any of you are going to purchase a new car, use a car buyers agent that only works for you. She will get all the dealers in the US to compete and get you the best deal. I dont know with Porsche, but unlikely you will be paying msrp or msrp +
[link deleted]

Not useful for a GT car
Old 10-27-2018, 02:38 PM
STG
Race Director

I would assume all scammed customers have been reimbursed by now?

Anyone run across Shiraaz lately?
Old 10-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Posted in error

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 10-27-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Thread clean up.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly the government knows whether he used his passport to leave the country. Only way he gets out without using a passport is via private boat, but he still has to use it at his destination.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Going forward, any deposit or payment I make to a dealer will be through escrow service. Once car shows up and I get paperwork, escrow will release the funds.a

On another note, I contacted a local NorCal Porsche dealership about a GT3RS. They took my contact info. I later received 3 text messages from private brokers located out of state. One of whom said he was "friends" with SS and Champion. And could get me an allocation if I just paid him $35K. I asked how he got my contact info. The local Porsche dealership gave it to him. WTF. A salesman at a CA dealership gave my contact info to a third-party broker in order to scam me out of money on a car supposedly located in Florida?

I'm sure PNA would love to know that a salesman is farming out customers to their buddy in order to skim ADM/deposit money.

ALSO...

Are brokers morons or what? Why would I pay a broker money to get me an allocation with a huge ADM when I can just go straight to the dealer and pay the same ADM? Why would I pay a third party to provide zero service or benefit? If I'm paying you for a service, it needs to be for some added value. As in... a lower price on the same car. Idiots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing