Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:07 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

I believe I was the first to call it in this thread. I demand a prize.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post15285114
Old 09-14-2018, 04:10 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by i am a TRAITOR
I believe I was the first to call it in this thread. I demand a prize.
Lol...

All of these events having the makings for "american greed" show episode.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

probably was engaged by champion in that litigation and had a conflict waiver with sookralli to represent him too.
Not my point really... point is:
1. Open case where the attorney is defending both Champion and Sookralli in the Rampage 911r case?
2. Now same attorney is representing Champion and suing Sookralli?
I don't know law, but that seems like a conflict of interest?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

From the original news reports on the various automotive sites:

"Although the official cause of death has not been released, it’s believed Maraj went missing while out sailing with his girlfriend on the large sailboat that had become his favorite craft. His body was found in the water near the Boca Raton Resort and Club where he and his girlfriend were staying."
Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
I'm surprised by sentiments such as this. I feel bad for the guys who got bamboozled by Champion Porsche. But this situation has made me feel even more fortunate to lock up a PTS GT3. Between the difficulty of navigating the elusive PTS schedule, the endless ADM charges/dealer games/flipping, and this Champion Porsche debacle, I'm amazed and thankful to have landed one with no problem.
Agree.

Again, the fraud was perpetuated at the dealership: this is on Champion Porsche, not PCNA nor PAG. State franchise laws are a patchwork quilt through which Porsche must navigate. Although the franchise agreements are generally dealer-favorable, Porsche has to work within those signed agreements.

PAG and PCNA can sort out the availability of GT cars, PTS delays, etc., but let's focus on the primary issue: There was fraudulent behavior by a dealership employee. I'm flabbergasted Champion Porsche isn't handling this without the risk of AG action and engagement of legal eagles.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:19 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
I'm surprised by sentiments such as this. I feel bad for the guys who got bamboozled by Champion Porsche. But this situation has made me feel even more fortunate to lock up a PTS GT3. Between the difficulty of navigating the elusive PTS schedule, the endless ADM charges/dealer games/flipping, and this Champion Porsche debacle, I'm amazed and thankful to have landed one with no problem.
I have been treated fairly and honestly by my local dealer, but all of the GT car BS that goes on is making me think twice about buying a new Porsche in the future. In my opinion Porsche is ultimately responsible at the end of the day. Maybe not for every transaction that takes place, but they are well aware of the crap going on with GT car allocations and the VIP program and appear to be doing nothing about it. Also, trying to order regular cars like Turbo's and Targa's can be much more difficult than it needs to be, not to mention PTS. The entire allocation system is a joke.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If there were even decent controls in place, this could have been prevented. Dozens of cars with no deposits? Constantly changing builds? One person in charge of GT cars with no controls in place to verify his actions? I agree that we don't know all the facts yet, but I'd be willing to bet that we'll find out that this fraud could have easily been prevented, or at least uncovered earlier, if good controls were in place. Trust, but verify.
Not necessarily. The could not know. If he was using one car for multiple people they wouldn't know until the first person complained they weren't getting a car. My guess would be that this happened more recently and would be why this started coming to light. Historically you could do this easily and not have anyone at the dealership know what you were doing and the customer wouldn't question it as you are misdirecting them about the mark up. As long as this jerk had control of the situation I can see it pretty easily being something that could be pulled off. Especially if he was tight with the leadership and they had trust in him. Unfortunately they put that trust into someone they shouldn't have, and the same for the folks that ordered a car through him. It didn't sound to me that he was the only one handling the GT cars. There were other people who commented saying they dealt with others for their purchases. There is a lot one person could do. Could there be controls in place to help prevent this, yes. But there still would be no guarantee that someone couldn't pull something like this off. And most likely it was way more than the $2.5M he supposedly said he got. Once they get the records of that account they will be able to piece more together. And as it related to the 911R story, he could have told a great story that may have been plausible to Champion and made them not question Shiraaz's activities. Or it did start the suspicion and they investigated and realized what was going on and he did have something to do with the unfortunate circumstances that happened this summer. Only he knows right now, but I'm sure it will be figured out.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry for those who lost $ and time, and an opportunity to get a car somewhere else. Without direct knowledge, it seems that there was lack of control/oversight from Champion, so in the end it is their responsibility, and it should not be difficult to prove that in court (I'm not a lawyer). Think about some rogue traders at Barclays and other banks. Banks are ultimately responsible for compensating clients for heir lack of control.
I have written this before , but one day we will read a paper at Harvard Business Review on how PCNA let some of its dealers subtract a large value from their brand. They have turned a blind eye to mercenary client relationships since ADMs pay for those Exec Panameras that can't be moved out of the floor unless huge discounts are given. PCNA and (some) dealers win, at the expense of customers, that pay extra and still get a poor client experience. Clients need to shop around for honest dealers , instead of just looking for convenience, quality of service and a good experience.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:27 PM
mad_max
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
It would raise a red flag to me that a sales manager drives a rolls Royce unless he was driving cars from the lot on dealer plate - that isn't uncommon.
Like someone else also mentioned here, I think that Shiraaz was more than just an employee, perhaps a long time friend or even extended family. Both him and Maraj have indo-Guyanese roots. Now that Maraj's kids have taken ownership they're outing him as part of an internal power struggle.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:28 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
I have been treated fairly and honestly by my local dealer, but all of the GT car BS that goes on is making me think twice about buying a new Porsche in the future. In my opinion Porsche is ultimately responsible at the end of the day. Maybe not for every transaction that takes place, but they are well aware of the crap going on with GT car allocations and the VIP program and appear to be doing nothing about it. Also, trying to order regular cars like Turbo's and Targa's can be much more difficult than it needs to be, not to mention PTS. The entire allocation system is a joke.
The only thing that's a joke are the customers who are more than willing to play the ADM, etc. game. Period.

If people stopped paying ADM, the dealer would not be asking for them and making it seem difficult for them to obtain a car. And, you need to stop blaming Porsche for this because it has been said hundreds of time that they have no control over this.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Martin IMO your credibility went out the window when we saw the PTS Golf Blue .2 @ $25K over for a good price with no sales tax paid on the car @ PNH (which I also don't agree with but a completely different topic of course), I'm sure PNH appreciated that and the profit to get you into that .2 3RS @ MSRP

Old 09-14-2018, 04:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

One FACT is Shiraaz was working with brokers who would put buyers in contact with him. Shiraaz would collect a $15K ADM (in this case) from the buyer and deposit it into his own fictitious account. He would them pay the brokers their cut back out of that account.

Car comes in (in this case he screwed up some options), and buyer would settle up with legitimate paperwork for balance.

This is one scenario. Many scams in different ways.

He probably preyed on out of state buyers more.

Question is, can some of these brokers be liable for $$ they received from Shiraaz??? All the big time brokers everyone knows so well worked with him.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pope
The only thing that's a joke are the customers who are more than willing to play the ADM, etc. game. Period.

If people stopped paying ADM, the dealer would not be asking for them and making it seem difficult for them to obtain a car. And, you need to stop blaming Porsche for this because it has been said hundreds of time that they have no control over this.
Porsche could easily stop giving ADM dealers allocations. It wouldn't be that hard. Any dealer caught playing games. No GT allocations.

But even when dealing with an honest dealer, the allocation process is still a joke. It's painful for everyone involved including good dealerships. And that is Porsche's fault.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

As a business owner myself, sudden death of the owner could most definitely expose the business to opportunists to take advantage of such situations especially, if they know the customers and the business well

Very unfortunate situation both for the owner's family and for the customers.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Porsche will suffer no damage, directly or indirectly, from these events. Those of you who want tighter control by PCNA can fill out an application for a GT car in the fashion of Patek with their customers who desire to purchase flipper prone low volume watches. Expect PCNA to retain your window sticker and request copies of your vehicle registration as further control on the market.

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing