Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
This is really strange. I did not know an entity can apply for a license prefixed by "APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF FICTITIOUS NAME" name which is synonymous to "Doing Business As."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

Fictitious Name
Lot's of DBA's out there. Especially for larger companies. Florida may call it Fictitious Name instead of DBA (I'm not a lawyer but have dealt with DBA's so I can't confirm that is FL's treatment).
Old 09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
This is really strange. I did not know an entity can apply for a license prefixed by "APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF FICTITIOUS NAME" name which is synonymous to "Doing Business As."

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

LINK:

Fictitious Name

I'm wondering what exactly that means too?? Attorneys here??
Old 09-14-2018, 10:42 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

I know of two Porsche dealers that had some issues with employees scamming money from GT customers, so this is , unfortunately, not unique to champion
Old 09-14-2018, 10:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by pitt911
I know of two Porsche dealers that had some issues with employees scamming money from GT customers, so this is , unfortunately, not unique to champion

I'm sure a lot of under the table $$ and skimmed ADM deposits have happened elsewhere too.

This Shiraaz $2.5MM +++ is a whole other level. If they know about $2.5MM, imagine how much more there is over the years they haven't found out about yet.

PCNA, are you watching??
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I know of people who sell late model GT cars for over $100K to a dealer and keep the entire proceeds AT THE DEALER as deposit for a hot new GT car allocation...sometimes for a prospective GT allocation 1 year down the road! I always wondered why anyone would leave tens of thousands of dollars at a dealer earning nothing...the amounts can add up fast!! Now these sales would be harder for a shady salesman to hide but still...
Old 09-14-2018, 11:21 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
Please post up so we don't all make that mistake.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo459.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  photo308.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  1,000.1 KB

Name:  photo388.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  photo973.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  498.0 KB

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23576/a...buyer-deposits

Wow, nice job to Kyle for the amazing write up

Last edited by STG; 09-14-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:38 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Please post up so we don't all make that mistake.
I can assure you that problems have been handled ,
and again this kind of stuff happens all the time to a varying degree
Agree with STG , that the amount of money here is very large and this is why the story is grabbing a lot of attention
one e.g: Ferrari/Ferrari dealers were rolling back odometers on some cars, so the value is not affected
and I am sure million other examples can be found
Old 09-14-2018, 11:43 AM
ryanfelton13
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm a reporter with Jalopnik, and we're working on a story today about this situation. If anyone who has prior experiences with Champion and Shiraaz, we'd appreciate a chance to chat with you. If you'd like to talk, I'm available at ryan.felton at jalopnik.com. Truly appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:49 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,789 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanfelton13
Hi everyone, I'm a reporter with Jalopnik, and we're working on a story today about this situation. If anyone who has prior experiences with Champion and Shiraaz, we'd appreciate a chance to chat with you. If you'd like to talk, I'm available at ryan.felton at jalopnik.com. Truly appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Glad to hear that several places will public this story. Funny how I got so much crap about calling out stealers on here....I knew there was crap like this happening (never thought it would in the millions to one person).
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
This should be shared with Jalopnik
I did a couple days ago.

Originally Posted by ryanfelton13
Excellent, I knew you guys would be interested.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Interesting, he's been using the name Champion Autosport since 2010, I wonder what kind of business he was running before the scam.
The address leads to an appartment. That in itself could suggest a non-business entity or, it may not as there could be another physical location. The question I had when I noted the date was whether the scam was happening from then or, if he later realized he could misdirect deposits to this family account. For STG, a fictitious name permit or statement is a common requirement used for a number of reasons. It serves, among other things, to identify individuals associated with a corporation. My experience with FNPs are as a health and safety and, business and professions matter and, I’d like to think I would have evaded this scam by realizing the payee was not Champion Porsche but, even seasoned lawyers could have gotten caught up with this one if they let their guard down because of an established trust with their sales agent.

What I think will be interesting from a purely forensic perspective is who else was being paid out of the Champion Autosport account. The transactions may have been untraceable cash but, if there is a record, we may see whether others were receiving kickbacks or otherwise profiting from the fraud. That will eventually come out but for now, my guess is that the authorities and lawyers for victims wont be saying anything during a pending investigation. They should be well ahead of looking for this guy and his wife and going through the financial details by now if victims are doing what they should be doing.

I can’t remember, I think it may have been Eduardo that talked about the dealership / Porsche relationship and how Porsche tried to deal with the ADM issue but ultimately was unable due to dealer franchise lobby and laws. I haven’t tried to search for that thread but every time people point the finger at Porsche about this matter, I think about that explanation. I can’t imagine Porsche having any culpability with this fraud. And, they can’t do anything about the ADMs that dealers place. Chatter about it otherwise isn’t helpful or constructive and folks should focus on the Sookralli.

Dan (hopes victims are made whole)

Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

This kind of fraudulent scheme does not happen overnight, it must have taken Shiraaz at least up to a year to plan this. Do you guys really think he does not have any inside help to make this work ? Is the dealership completely blind ?
I was really hoping that CJ or Chicago whale can chime in how does the process work when a customer orders a GT car. Does it go through the sales manager and up the chain ?
Jack
Old 09-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,739 Likes on 2,172 Posts

http://thecoastalstar.com/profiles/b...der-dave-maraj

"... Champion Porsche, which grew to be the largest-volume Porsche dealership in the world."
Old 09-14-2018, 11:56 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

You can be certain that any insurance carrier for Champion underwriting an employee fraud policy is going to investigate for upper management collusion or negligence before writing a check for $2.5M.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing