Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Maybe. If it's one client, maybe this guy was BS'ing his bosses about the situation and they bought it.

We're all making assumptions here. The temptation by many is to pile on and know the dealer knew about this for a while. Knowing how businesses work, I'm willing to bet that less was known than most people think. It's usually the way.

But no one really knows and we're all guessing.

Either way this situation is some distribution of amusing, fascinating, sad, maddening and plain out unbelievable.
Forums have their negative sides especially when people take out the pitchfork but here we have access to 2 lawsuits filings.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Who knows what all the facts are and the real situation is. It could just be a high level rogue employee with too much power. He sounds like someone who brought in a lot of business for the company so was really trusted. The temptation was probably too great to see all these GT cars going for well over msrp and the feeding frenzy. Hopefully all parties including the dealership, clients, and the alleged mastermind get their due.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:51 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone will put a hit on him. Lots of gangsters in Miami
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM

Forums have their negative sides especially when people take out the pitchfork but here we have access to 2 lawsuits filings.
Right. One was in Feb of this year for one car. The other was last week. That's all we REALLY know.

Originally Posted by Riz
Who knows what all the facts are and the real situation is. It could just be a high level rogue employee with too much power. He sounds like someone who brought in a lot of business for the company so was really trusted. The temptation was probably too great to see all these GT cars going for well over msrp and the feeding frenzy. Hopefully all parties including the dealership, clients, and the alleged mastermind get their due.
Yes to all this.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

The Washington Post will surely cover it. I can see the headline now.

"PORSCHE DEALER NEAR TRUMP'S MAR-A-LARGO SCAMS POTENTIAL DONORS"
Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Right. One was in Feb of this year for one car. The other was last week. That's all we REALLY know.

Yes to all this.
The case regarding the 911R is from 2 years ago and he wouldn’t have sold the R without managers knowledge.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Maybe some of you can help me understand a few things that appear to be going over my head ...

1. How is it possible that so many customers were promised cars and not a single one came in in person and never talked to the sales manager? Or came in to check on their car's status on one of this guy's days off and when someone else tried to run the car through the system it didn't reveal the fact that it didn't exist? When I was waiting for my GT3 from my local dealer I was in there every few weeks talking to both my salesmen and the manager. And when I recently ordered another GT car from an out of town dealership I had email communications with the SM at the verified email several times before wiring any funds.

2. If they did talk to the sales manager, surety he/she would have noticed that there is no way they have that many customers for the amount of allocations they get, and surely they would have noticed that with all these customers there are no reflecting funds in the dealership's account to match all these people.

Unless this scumbag only did this with out of town customers, it is almost impossible to believe that no one at Champion didn't know about it. Either this guy had massive ***** and was incomprehensibly fortunate that a thousand things fell his way to pull this off, or he had cover from within the dealership. This is a classic case of this dealership are either incompetent or fraudulent, those are the only two inexcusable options, unless there's something I'm missing.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Maybe some of you can help me understand a few things that appear to be going over my head ...

1. How is it possible that so many customers were promised cars and not a single one came in in person and never talked to the sales manager? Or came in to check on their car's status on one of this guy's days off and when someone else tried to run the car through the system it didn't reveal the fact that it didn't exist? When I was waiting for my GT3 from my local dealer I was in there every few weeks talking to both my salesmen and the manager. And when I recently ordered another GT car from an out of town dealership I had email communications with the SM at the verified email several times before wiring any funds.

2. If they did talk to the sales manager, surety he/she would have noticed that there is no way they have that many customers for the amount of allocations they get, and surely they would have noticed that with all these customers there are no reflecting funds in the dealership's account to match all these people.

Unless this scumbag only did this with out of town customers, it is almost impossible to believe that no one at Champion didn't know about it. Either this guy had massive ***** and was incomprehensibly fortunate that a thousand things fell his way to pull this off, or he had cover from within the dealership. This is a classic case of this dealership are either incompetent or fraudulent, those are the only two inexcusable options, unless there's something I'm missing.
My guess is that they were all out of town customers. What do we (RLs) tell people if they are looking for a GT car??......get on the phone and make some calls. And if you plan on calling a dealership to look for a GT car, who would you call? The number one dealer in the country... of course. If he was a marketing manager, good chance he could have had first access to the "out of towners" I bet he gave them his personal cell number, "don't worry ill give you the VIP treatment" call me with any questions
Old 09-12-2018, 08:23 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
You clearly know more. Please share.
I posted it. Tired of people saying, "give Champion the benefit of the doubt."
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a devious mind... here’s how I’d induce a dealer and a customer to commit this crime. Like any good ‘broker’... LOL

< note: for entertainment ONLY. Do NOT do this kids! >

1. Offer customer car if they will agree to $X ADM upfront.
2. Have customer write check for $X to my dummy corporation (with a name similar to the dealership so they are not suspicious).
3. Tell dealership ‘customer agreed to $Y ADM upfront’ ($Y << $X), as long as the paperwork says @MSRP so customer won’t have to pay tax on ADM.
4. Put allocation into system in customer’s name.
5. Dealership delivers car to customer, neglecting to reflect $Y ADM on sales paperwork (customer doesn’t complain because otherwise they will pay extra tax on what they think is $X but Dealership thinks is $Y.
6. Someone at dealership keeps $Y for themselves.
6. I keep $X - $Y for myself.

ADM stinks. It’s not free market capitalism, it’s asymmetric information flow that allows scams like this to fleece the sheep.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartleby7334
I have a devious mind... here’s how I’d induce a dealer and a customer to commit this crime. Like any good ‘broker’... LOL

< note: for entertainment ONLY. Do NOT do this kids! >

1. Offer customer car if they will agree to $X ADM upfront.
2. Have customer write check for $X to my dummy corporation (with a name similar to the dealership so they are not suspicious).
3. Tell dealership ‘customer agreed to $Y ADM upfront’ ($Y << $X), as long as the paperwork says @MSRP so customer won’t have to pay tax on ADM.
4. Put allocation into system in customer’s name.
5. Dealership delivers car to customer, neglecting to reflect $Y ADM on sales paperwork (customer doesn’t complain because otherwise they will pay extra tax on what they think is $X but Dealership thinks is $Y.
6. Someone at dealership keeps $Y for themselves.
6. I keep $X - $Y for myself.

ADM stinks. It’s not free market capitalism, it’s asymmetric information flow that allows scams like this to fleece the sheep.
Spot on I should have thought about it first LOL
Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 PM
DrKid
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
For all those folks that did get lucky enough to get a GT car after they paid a deposit to Champion Autosport, I would love to learn how the transaction was completed to purchase the car through Champion. This is where I think the dealership had some kind of insight as to what he was doing. They put too much trust in this rogue employee with a lack of controls and now it's come back to bite them in the behind.
This would be my question as well.
I'm guessing the deposits were all ADM and he was pocketing the ADM and selling the cars for MSRP?
However, it seems unlikely that no one else in the dealership would be aware of a customer referencing a $100k deposit on a car sometime in the last year and 30 or so transactions?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

A 'victim' explained it in the other thread - deposit for the ADM was made to the perp through Champion Autosport, car was not as ordered (sounds like an allocation Ponzi scheme), sale completed anyway through Champion Motorsport at MSRP.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KHTO
I posted it. Tired of people saying, "give Champion the benefit of the doubt."
Benefit of the doubt? Lol.

The GM of the dealership should be fired. He's incompetent not picking up on this and keeping tabs on the allocations. There must have been MANY RED flags that anyone should have seen.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know, but should have known better.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
A 'victim' explained it in the other thread - deposit for the ADM was made to the perp through Champion Autosport, car was not as ordered (sounds like an allocation Ponzi scheme), sale completed anyway through Champion Motorsport at MSRP.
Thanks.

I don't understand exactly what that means but obviously he did it in a convincing way from a customer's point of view.
Still hard to believe that no one at the dealership knew nothing about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing