Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

It’s not franchise dealer laws, it’s Federal antitrust statutes. PCNA cannot legally dictate the price of cars sold by independent dealers. PCNA can punish dealers if they want, but the can’t dictate pricing.
Then how does Rolex get away with doing it?
Old 09-15-2018, 01:59 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Interesting article circa 2013

https://www.courthousenews.com/deale...-it-the-shaft/

Name:  photo264.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  518.7 KB
Old 09-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Any independent dealer can sell a Rolex for anything they want. And Rolex can stop selling to them. The difference is, the average Porsche dealership is a way bigger investment and has way more power than a jeweler selling Rolexes. If Porsche said no ADMs or no GT cars, my guess is they’d have a revolt on their hands by their best dealers.

I find it kinda laughable that RL gets so up in arms about this issue, like we’re some persecuted group. Bunch of rich guys complaining about something that every make does and has for decades. Just don’t buy the cars.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

CAFE emissions limitations?
Porsche gets huge fines if CAFE is exceeded or credits not replaced.
Originally Posted by dark knight
ultimately my question is this, if the rate limiting step of 911 production is capacity in Zuffenhausen, why does Porsche build so few GT cars, they must make more profit on these cars that cost a lot more with not a lot more content in them
​​​​​​​

Did he really quote Sam Pelligrino?
I knew Sam before he was a celebrity!

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
This guy has more than 2M car nuts followers in the US and across the world... the news is spreading fast...as it should.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Because there are no independent (read non boutique Rolex owned) jewelers that sell only Rolex watches.

Porsche dealers sell nothing but new Porsches.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Jalopnik actually has a Stealership folder or whatever. See pics. Lol.

Name:  photo830.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  874.9 KB

Name:  photo42.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  764.9 KB
Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because there are no independent (read non boutique Rolex owned) jewelers that sell only Rolex watches.

Porsche dealers sell nothing but new Porsches.

Rolex dealers are not franchised. Auto dealers are. Franchise laws differ from retail dealers.

Franchisors cannot enforce pricing to franchisees.

Not sure how Ferrari gets around this?
Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

They may be great people and all that but they really dropped the ball by not firing this scumbag after the whole 991R drama and for that they will pay in both $$$ and bad publicity. They seem to be a big enough organization that they should have had controls and checks/balances against this type of rogue behavior.
Sadly, the owner of Champion died very recently. I knew him well enough to know that he respected his customers and would deal very, very harshly with any person that would damage the reputation of Champion. He worked extremely hard to build that reputation. Remember, his team is the only American racing team to win Le Mans other than Ford in '66 and '67. He may have been dealing with this at the time he passed.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:29 AM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE

Porsche can’t change franchise agreements with the effort of a Twitter post. Remember, Dealers have more influence with state franchise laws than the manufacturers. Why? Dealers are the constituents, not the factories. All politics are local, as always.
I come from the lowly world of Dodge SRT. A few years ago, Dodge tried to change the franchise agreements to require no ADM before the Hellcat's were on sale but that failed. FCA then said dealers could only allocate Demons after they received confirmed customer orders with no ADM. That failed too. As predicted, South County Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Gilroy, CA marked up Demons with 100% ADM over MSRP. I mentioned the outrageous dealer ADM's to FCA executives personally including Ralph Gilles, Dodge CEO at the time and all they said was it is unfortunate and that there was not much they could do.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:20 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm afraid ADM is connected to this crime. There are people profiteering at several steps in the chain. People have been told no allocations at Champion but they can get one from a broker then what do they think is happening?! Champion/SS is obviously in bed with the broker. Champion knew SS did this because of 911R case so I expect they were in on it too. They didn't know he was going to run off with the money though!
Old 09-15-2018, 04:43 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

"Forget it, Jake. It's Florida."
Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Now that I reflect on my own ridiculously extreme GT3 buying experience (contacted probably 50 dealers in search of elusive MSRP)... I've had more than one South Florida broker contacting me with the same pitch to pay them $15-30k UPFRONT as ADM and 'pay MSRP upon delivery' for customizable allocations.

I'm wondering if this is the way it went down for most/all of those involved in this nasty scam?

After learning a lot about owner recently and how dealership was run, there's a chance nobody else in dealership was directly involved in this scam, only outside broker ring insulating customers from dealer. Just a theory.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 09-15-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:32 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ginmqi
But I should've clarified that in terms of the flight voluntary de-boarding process, there was no legal obligation for United to offer money to have people give up their seats. If you read flight contracts attached to each ticket, it says that the airline can offer up to a certain amount of money but they are legally not required to do so (under any local or federal statute.

My parallel was to STG (I think) who was saying that while PCNA has no legal obligation to make the customers whole....but it would be in their PR/moral obligation to do so. Just as United (and other air carriers) have no legal obligation to compensate passengers for voluntary de-boarding but it is in their best business/PR interest to do so.
incorrect. Under the “passenger bill of rights” carriers have been required to compensate for “bumping” (including denial of boarding or de-boarding) since 2009. The amounts were doubled a few years later.

edit: on reread, you’re talking about voluntary debosrding. My bad. I was confused since the United incident you’re referring to was involuntary.

Last edited by sqweak; 09-15-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowCalliper
I’ve known him for ten years and he’s worked on my gt cars and other 911’s. He has always been responsive and great. I just saw him a few weeks ago. Very sorry to hear about this if true, but let Shiraaz explain himself. Too bad Dave, the former owner passed away and is not around to handle this. He was a true gentlemen.
I’m sure the 2.5 million was just an oversight. I’m sure he really didn’t mean to funnel money into a fake business then remove all the cash before going on a family vacation. I suggest you read the thread from the beginning.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:01 AM
dfoster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suitcase
A friend of mine put down two deposits for a GT3 MT Touring. One was at his local dealership, which I won't name. He was told that he was number 11 on "the list." The other was at Champion. Champion would give him an immediate allocation with a 5k premium. He was upset and asked for his deposit back. I told him that he may pay $5k over but he would get a car. No way was he going to pay over MSRP. He wanted his deposit back. HE GOT HIS DEPOSIT BACK WITHIN DAYS. The other local dealership has delivered between 15 and 20 GT3s since he gave them a deposit 20 months ago. Now he's number 7 on the list. Isn't 11 included in 15? Now they are telling him there will be no more GT3's. He called me yesterday to say he was sorry that he didn't take my advice and stick with Champion. He has his $5k back, no car and is now looking in the road test pre-owned market at $15-$20 over. THE POINT IS HE GAVE CHAMPION A DEPOSIT, ASKED FOR IT BACK, AND HAD IT RETURNED IN DAYS.

I've owned almost 60 Porsche's and I know many dealers in the US and some in Europe. Champion is by far, the BEST dealer I know. I bet CJ does a great job but have had not had the opportunity. My knowledge and relationship with Shiraaz was nothing more than a passing acknowledgement. To the best of my long history of experience, the sales, management and service personnel at Champion are knowledgeable, honest and true enthusiasts. When most Porsche Dealerships have gone the route of Toyota and you can't leave the premises without speaking to the finance manager, Champion remains an "old school" dealership. It's also a "crime" that the good people at Champion are now suffering because of this A-hole.

Shiraaz used his employment to commit a crime. No different that if you hired an exterminator to get rid of ants and they fleeced your home. I was at Champion today. Champion didn't take the money or have the money. But I can tell you they are working hard to resolve this disgusting crime.
‘if what you say is true sir, then Champion will not only offer the stolen money back, they should also do whatever it takes to find the victims the car they ordered. I’m speaking as a victim. Largest dealer in the world right. That should be no problem for PCNA and Champion to figure out.

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing