Sponsored by:

GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

It took them a week and a half to come up with that limp announcement?

Fück Champion; can’t wait to ask LOTS of questions at Rennsport.
We’ll, OP is right. He’s not made whole with a refund. He lost the opportunity to have a GT3. A refund is not whole. So, yeah, I agree it’s not good. But, it’s better than a total loss. It may be that whole is refund plus the dealer pays ADM to the buyer. Now wouldn’t that be a twist.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Dan, you're an attorney .... QUESTION

"Klaus" bought a GT3 two months ago and was delivered to him. He had paid a $15K ADM which was fraudulently charged to him by Shiraaz. It went into his shill account. He was acting as a lone wolf as they claim, but still represented them. Was not a requirement by Champion. Does he have a case to try and get that back?? He's been doing this for years.

Champion's attorney admitted they knew about his former frauds and shill Rampage account. It seems like they're on the hook for some major damages. They knowingly continued to employ him. Victims can sue for damages as well I'm sure.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Dan, you're an attorney .... QUESTION

"Klaus" bought a GT3 two months ago and was delivered to him. He had paid a $15K ADM which was fraudulently charged to him by Shiraaz. Was not a requirement by Champion. Does he have a case to try and get that back??
One thing you'll find is attorneys usually don't answer legal questions at cocktail parties or online. An attorney who does can open themselves up to malpractice claims. It's why I frequently take the time to explain I'm not offering any legal advice when I make a comment that could be construed that way. So, forum members, please don't get upset with us legal types if we're not responsive.

Regarding your hypothetical above, you have a legal conclusion that there was an ADM that was fraudulent. If that's accurate, a lawyer might be able to help recover assuming the perpetrator is not "judgment proof" and has the funds. But, that presupposes the ADM was actually fraudulent and, that's a step that can't be skipped and, must be proven first. If you're talking about pursuing Champion Porsche instead of Sookralli, you have to prove their culpability first. In fact, you have to prove Sookralli's culpability if you're pursuing against him too. Remember, it's possible Champion Porsche had no knowledge of Sookralli's alleged criminal conduct. Even so, there are respondeat superior laws that could apply to Champion Porsche. I would tell "Klaus" what I told OP. Report to police. Get a lawyer. You don't want legal advice over a forum, even if it's from an attorney. You want a lawyer in your jurisdiction (Florida) with access to all of the facts to give you options relative to the laws of that jurisdiction.

Dan (isn't giving legal advice)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Thanks D ..

It seems like some attorney can form a class action lawsuit representing all affected victims present and past. I'm sure some are salivating at going after Champion after reading this story. These legal issues will drag on a LONG time (an assumption). Guys will be coming out of the woodwork over the past 10 years now.

I mean, if they can go after Porsche for tan dashboards and get free sunglasses and a small check!!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
I had the same thought. Its not that much money and he had been working there for a long time why throw it all away now? If you read through all those docs it shows he had some serious money problems so maybe he was desperate and looking for a way out? People do crazy things all the time so I guess I am not that surprised.

Somehow, I doubt that he will be using any of this stolen money to pay child support for his 10 kids
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
Just terrible that this stuff happens....look at ford with the ford gt .
they sold them whole different way and buyers signed contracts not to flip
but I believe someone sold and got away with it.
ITS ALL GREED.
Yes. John Cena famous flipped his. He got sued by Ford but I believe both sides settled for an undisclosed sum.

It's a shrewed strategy. They knew the new Ford GT is worth alot (you can easily find buyers for the Ford GT for 2 million +) so even with the lawsuit from Ford, if you can handle the hassle/settlement with Ford, you can still make a profit flipping a GT.

But yeah basically greed is there as the primary driving factor.

Also this dude aparently had 10 kids and his wages were being garnished due to child support....so desperation was more like it too..people speculating he is in Indian now and has disappeared...may be VERY difficult to recover any money if he's escaped to a 3rd world country like that...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Re: Dave Maraj's death

One article says was a boating accident, one says boat was docked and he apparently slipped and hit his head, another one says the police were called at 2:15 AM with report of a missing person.

Lots of mystery here ...

Name:  photo243.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  435.8 KB
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Marv800
Somehow, I doubt that he will be using any of this stolen money to pay child support for his 10 kids

Marv, always in for a good laugh ...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm not sure you understand what accounting controls are, but this is precisely why you put good controls in place. ......
This is a very good point.

The perpetrator of this fraud was very aware of the weaknesses of the Champions "accounting controls." Which he easily circumvented and defrauded the company.

The question becomes - did the accounting firm who audits Champion provide Champion with the advice necessary to ensure those controls were in place?

So, the accounting firm is in a liability position. As is the bank, if they allowed the perpetrator to set up a personal account when the company expressly told the bank not to do such a thing.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 PM
TM5
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The glutinous greed of porsche dealers taken to a whole new level - hope the story ends well with Porsche providing cars at msrp for those impacted.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:32 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Originally Posted by djcxxx
You can be certain that any insurance carrier for Champion underwriting an employee fraud policy is going to investigate for upper management collusion or negligence before writing a check for $2.5M.
This is a good point. And if there is more stuff with the management....ohh boy...could be very juicy story indeed.

Very sketchy that the owner died in that "accidental drowning" as well earlier in the year. Wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an on-going investigation for long time.

Certianly seems like it would damage Champion's reputation.

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I totally agree....my thought is who the hell would hand over $100K as a deposit....no way I would fall for that.....BUT.....

If I was talking to a longtime salesman, VP of whatever, at one of the largest dealers in the country and really wanted this car.....well, it's possible a lot of us could have fallen for it....
Yeah 100k is alot but I would imagine there's not shortage of people who are worth 8 to 9 figures (net worth of 50M to 100M++) and maybe even one or two guys who belong to the 3 comma club, and 100k to them is basically chump change. If you've worked with champion for years and have bought dozens of cars....and if you could get a guaranteed allocation on an upcoming sought after GT car to add to your collection? why not?

I briefly met a couple who is very successful in real estate here in Hawaii (and then expanding to other states of course). They are friends with billionaires (not billionaire themselves) and literally $100,000 to them is like dropping $100 to us mere mortals. The go on what would be lifetime dream vacations every other month. They easily net healthy 7 figures in profit annually.....
Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 PM
turbodickie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

. The best dealer Checkered Flag Porsche!!!

Last edited by turbodickie; 09-14-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:40 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
This is a very good point.

The perpetrator of this fraud was very aware of the weaknesses of the Champions "accounting controls." Which he easily circumvented and defrauded the company.

The question becomes - did the accounting firm who audits Champion provide Champion with the advice necessary to ensure those controls were in place?

So, the accounting firm is in a liability position. As is the bank, if they allowed the perpetrator to set up a personal account when the company expressly told the bank not to do such a thing.
I think it would be a little bit of a stretch to make the bank have any responsibility. A company opened a bank account and used it. Said company had nothing to do with the dealership. The dealership has no control over the bank giving an account to a business an employee operates independently.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:41 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Originally Posted by turbodickie
Never buy a car from a person that you cannot spell their name!!
Wow dude you serious? So just because someone is from a different country/birthplace/ethnicity and have a name that's not easily recognized by you they are not trustworthy? yikes.......
Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 PM
ginmqi
Track Day

Originally Posted by mwar99
I think it would be a little bit of a stretch to make the bank have any responsibility. A company opened a bank account and used it. Said company had nothing to do with the dealership. The dealership has no control over the bank giving an account to a business an employee operates independently.
Exactly, I don't think accounting control would've caught this.

Scumbag opened a shell company on his own OUTSIDE of the dealer company structure, and used his network/friendship/customer relation to scam well-meaning customers out of their money.

The more important thing is did the customers realize that "Champion Autosport" is not the same as "Champion Porsche?"

Quick Reply: GT car / Salesman - Shiraaz Sookralli - Champion Porsche's VP of Marketing