Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Age Demographic Poll: Manual vs PDK (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1095803-age-demographic-poll-manual-vs-pdk.html)

ncp 09-08-2018 01:45 PM

Age Demographic Poll: Manual vs PDK

Given the trend away from manual and toward PDK type gearboxes, I thought it would be interesting to understand if any correlation might exist regarding age demographic and choice of gearbox. For me, now 55 years young, I grew up driving manuals and continue to enjoy rowing my own both on and off the track (except for my daily drivers). I also very much appreciate the visceral experience of the "ground hook" connectedness that only an old-school p-car can provide, at any speed, which of course includes the manual gearbox.

reacher 09-08-2018 01:48 PM

I'm 40 and grew up in Europe with nothing but manuals, and I have no interest in a manual in today's high performance cars. I'm PDK all the way now and not looking back.

drdonger 09-08-2018 01:52 PM

36. Great up driving automatics, but tried a manual in college and haven't looked back. I love the experience driving a manual car. The one thing that keeps me with Porsche is NA engines and manual cars. Once those go, I'll probably switch to a Mac or F car.

Dougr743 09-08-2018 01:53 PM

I am 43, would never buy a PDK and grew up driving manuals, I truly think many buyers buy because the PDK is faster, easier to drive and more people can drive an automatic. With that said, its a moot point. Look at the cars for sale, 2004 gt3 with 7k, 10k. 2018 flippers, cars that are 10 years old with 4k on them. No one is driving them anyway! might as well come with a CVT and no gear selector, just drive.

Dougr743 09-08-2018 01:57 PM

oh, reason for saying. I put 65k on my work car each year, prob 5k on my truck (around the home, pull the boat somewhere etc) and I have 4k on my gt3 in 6 months. would be way more if obligations to other things allowed more fun driving time. I am not judging, just making a statement that most of these gt cars are not being driven in the manor they where designed for.

robmypro 09-08-2018 02:00 PM

I am 55 and grew up driving muscle cars with both manual and built automatic transmissions. Did a lot of street racing in my late teens and pretty much took the manual guys to the cleaners using high stall, built automatics. They almost always blew 2nd to 3rd. In drag racing, consistency wins. I did some bracket racing. Manuals are fun too, and i had a Super Bee with a pistol grip manual. Just always liked the consistency of a good automatic, and when i had the chance to buy a GT3 with arguably the best automatic in the world, it was an easy decision. I get the appeal of the manual, but love consistent 9k shifts, those headbangs from 1st to 2nd, and the freedom that a great automatic provides.

If i bought another GT3 i could go manual, just for something new. But i think i would miss the PDK.

sampelligrino 09-08-2018 02:01 PM

29 - PDK for me with 0 doubt. Too lazy to deal with 6MT in all honesty and like focusing on other aspects of the car to avoid worrying about a money shift (like keeping the rear from stepping out too much and the speedometer) when I'm in the canyons, even if it's just between 3rd and 4th. I find the GT3 to be a car that needs to be respected when pushed so I am as alert as I can be with the throttle/steering/tire pressures etc, it can be deceptive based on how easy the car is to drive on regular roads/slower speeds. Plus I drive my GT3 everywhere including the "legendary" 405 in LA

Didn't grow up with a manual, but I did rent a WRX STI to teach myself over a summer (only MT car I could find) and wow that clutch was very sensitive/tough to find the bite point

Admittedly on my wish list though is a 993 with a manual for just occasional fun driving around town, just need more garage space

WenigerAberBeser 09-08-2018 02:06 PM

30, PDK. Nothing against manuals (spent my 20s driving manual BMWs) but just thought the PDK better suited the .2 GT3 better. Couldn’t be happier with the PDK, it’s fun in its own way. Will eventually pair it with a manual 993 at some point.

WenigerAberBeser 09-08-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15275175)
29 - PDK for me with 0 doubt. Too lazy to deal with 6MT in all honesty and like focusing on other aspects of the car to avoid worrying about a money shift (like keeping the rear from stepping out too much and the speedometer) when I'm in the canyons, even it's just between 3rd and 4th. I find the GT3 to be a car that needs to be respected when pushed so I am as alert as I can be with the throttle/steering/tire pressures etc, it can be deceptive based on how easy the car is to drive on regular roads/slower speeds. Plus I drive my GT3 everywhere including the "legendary" 405 in LA

Didn't grow up with a manual, but I did rent a WRX STI to teach myself over a summer (only MT car I could find) and wow that clutch was very sensitive/tough to find the bite point

Admittedly on my wish list though is a 993 with a manual for just occasional fun driving around town, just need more garage space

we have similar tastes in life

robmypro 09-08-2018 02:16 PM

My brother had a 70 GTO Judge with a built auto. That thing would chirp the tires just cruising going 20 mph. Jump on it and the rear stepped out even going into 3rd. Just a fun experience. Or banging down the gears going hard into a turn. Bam bam bam. Engine reving ever louder. A great automatic is such a huge part of the sensation of speed, much like the engine sound. I am sure the manual guys feel the same way about their experience. But to somehow say a PDK GT3 is not engaging to me misses the entire point of the PDK. It is such a great, engaging experience.

sampelligrino 09-08-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser (Post 15275192)

we have similar tastes in life

Haha right on my man, I noticed that too :cheers:

Originally Posted by robmypro (Post 15275207)
My brother had a 70 GTO Judge with a built auto. That thing would chirp the tires just cruising going 20 mph. Jump on it and the rear stepped out even going into 3rd. Just a fun experience. Or banging down the gears going hard into a turn. Bam bam bam. Engine reving ever louder. A great automatic is such a huge part of the sensation of speed, much like the engine sound. I am sure the manual guys feel the same way about their experience. But to somehow say a PDK GT3 is not engaging to me misses the entire point of the PDK. It is such a great, engaging experience.

I will say when I am upshifting at 8999.99999 RPM before the fuel cut off at what feels to be light speed and while making sure I am very aware of what's in front of me on a windy road, I would be soiling myself doing that in a manual lol. TBH I don't know that I would wait until that moment to shift in a manual so I view that as one advantage to PDK among others, but just one man's opinion

robmypro 09-08-2018 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 15275217)
I will say when I am upshifting at 8999.99999 RPM before the fuel cut off at what feels to be light speed and while making sure I am very aware of what's in front of me on a windy road, I would be soiling myself doing that in a manual lol. TBH I don't know that I would wait until that moment to shift in a manual so I view that as one advantage to PDK among others, but just one man's opinion

I hear you. I would be focusing on the tach to make sure I didn't over-rev the engine. And then the focus shifts to...the shift. Again, totally get why people enjoy it, and kudos to Porsche for putting arguably the best manual ever into the GT3. But there is a very real desire to have a PDK, and those people aren't missing anything. Both provide a different "focus" during driving. With my abilities the PDK GT3 lets me experience most of what it has to offer. In a manual, I would have to settle for a lot less performance, mostly because I lack the manual skills (or desire to learn) to really unlock it with that configuration. Now someone like Grant, he gets a lot more from the manual car than I could extract, because he is way better at it than I am. So his engagement level is much higher in his car than I would have in the same car. But don't confuse that for my car lacking any engagement. At least not to me. It is exactly as engaging as I want it to be. Otherwise we are saying Lamborghini, McLaren, Mercedes and Ferrari don't build engaging cars, and we know that is not the case.

Different strokes...

bigskyGT3 09-08-2018 03:05 PM

I’m 52 now. I’ve always had at least one manual transmission car except for a brief period when I had Godzilla. I’d like to think I’ll always have a manual for as long as they offer them or as long as I can physically shift gears.

My first car had a manual box and I didn’t even know how to drive it when I bought it. I had someone drop it off in the parking lot of the apartment complex where I lived. I stared at the car for two days before I finally said f**k it and taught myself how to drive it.

I kind of want my boys to have manual cars for their first vehicles. I think it would keep them a little bit more engaged. It’s hard to text and play on your phone when you’re shifting your own gears.

The PDK is really good though. I get why guys rave about it.

GT3 09-08-2018 03:17 PM

33 now. First car was manual at 16. Loved the engagement. Then had a few DTC/PDKs, back to a few manuals. Ordered new GT3 with manual. I like both. But I’m these times, virtually no other manufacturer offers a car like a GT3 with manual. So I secured that for now. I have other cars with DTC/PDK, and can always get them from Porsche or another brand in the future. But not manual transmission. Manual shifting on a 9k rpm redline naturally aspirated engine is pure bliss. Sure, you have to be good to extract the best performance and enjoyment, but that the beauty of it. The practice, the engagement, the self-improvement.

Gravs 09-08-2018 03:18 PM

Both are good. Different characteristics of course. I voted manual but was a close call. I'm in UK so have never owned an auto. Well, except a 1990s Golf GL that idled a little high so would upshift itself to 45 mph without your foot even on the throttle.

PDKS means you spend more time in the higher rev ranges (which is the main USP of a GT3) and manual gives you more engagement during everyday driving.