Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Thank you all,

The car is still on the run.

I don't want to be to specific but they broke in in our house while we where a sleep and located the keys to the car and somehow managed to get the 2RS out without waking up us or the neighbours.
forget the damn car - count your blessings you and your family are ok!!!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry to hear that but dont give too much info on sightings.
They are probably reading this.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
This is awful! Hope it is recovered intact.

When I had my house built I had the electrician wire the garage door opener circuit with an unlabeled switch that I can shut off. I use it when I go out of town etc.
Garage with the cars is on its own zone so it can be fully armed with house alarm off.
does the garage door have a cable to pull and easily manually open the door in the case of no power?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think it would be hard to tell if this was done by a Professional.

Remember about 18 months ago the Gentleman who had his GT3 car stolen from his Beverly Hills home only to learn the Culprits found the keys when they broke in and took the car for a joy ride. Car was recovered from what I recall

Hard to believe they broke in while Family was sleeping to recover the keys. Possible it was a similar situation.

BTW - I always have my GT3 key hidden for this reason. I keep my other keys on the counter
I think it's pretty easy to tell when a pro gets your car out of a locked house/garage versus just some knucklehead amateur joy rider. Seriously sucks for the OP, but I agree with others, it's just a car. Family being safe is key.

As far as security goes, I believe in multiple layers, physical, electronic and animal, but I also start with the fact that nothing of very material value should be kept in the house unless it is secured in a safe and the safe is extremely well hidden. As far as cars go, except for the cheap daily drivers, all keys are kept in Faraday bag in a locked safe. If someone broke into my house, they would be sorely disappointed.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

The best way to help Kobalt is to inform all your familiar "car people" in order to
keep their eyes open "when they see something"

Not to discuss how the car was removed from the garage.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think it's pretty easy to tell when a pro gets your car out of a locked house/garage versus just some knucklehead amateur joy rider. Seriously sucks for the OP, but I agree with others, it's just a car. Family being safe is key.

As far as security goes, I believe in multiple layers, physical, electronic and animal, but I also start with the fact that nothing of very material value should be kept in the house unless it is secured in a safe and the safe is extremely well hidden. As far as cars go, except for the cheap daily drivers, all keys are kept in Faraday bag in a locked safe. If someone broke into my house, they would be sorely disappointed.
Wow Faraday bag as well? Wouldn't whatever it is that would fry the key also fry the electronics in the car?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:22 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

A short update:

We know now thanks to tracker the first movements of the car.
The car was later sighted by a young road working car guy on a small road.

The road is Road 331 from Graninge. It was sighted about 8kms south of Graninge.

According to my insurance company the cars are often parked somewhere cooling off for later dismantling.

So right now we have the police, insurance company and the internet community involved.

Again: Thanks for the support, much appreciated!
Graninge, that's in the middle of friggin' nowhere... ..lots of area to hide anything.

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Why keep the keys in a Faraday bag?
Old 09-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 09-06-2018, 05:42 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Can't believe this, so sorry to hear the news Dan. I hope they find it shortly, glad you are okay.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Why keep the keys in a Faraday bag?
If you have a car that can be opened when just pulling the door handle (with the key in your pocket) it can be handy:

Thieves can extend the signal from your key that is located in the house out to your car so they easily can open it and drive away.

Putting it in the Faraday bag or box stops the keys signal.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
does the garage door have a cable to pull and easily manually open the door in the case of no power?
No it's a side mount commercial unit. It can be manually operated but takes a bit of figuring out if unfamiliar.
Motion detector in the garage along with a camera and door contacts on the garage door in any case.
Nothing stops the determined but will slow them down and hopefully choose somewhere else.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 PM
kingjr9000
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick question Kobalt. Do you know if you were targeted specifically? Do you think the thieves read the forum, then tracked you down, then studied your movements, and then pounced when the time was right?
Old 09-06-2018, 06:28 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

If you have a car that can be opened when just pulling the door handle (with the key in your pocket) it can be handy:

Thieves can extend the signal from your key that is located in the house out to your car so they easily can open it and drive away.

Putting it in the Faraday bag or box stops the keys signal.
If someone is sophisticated enough to extend a remote signal to open the door they are taking your car no matter what.....
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by kingjr9000
Quick question Kobalt. Do you know if you were targeted specifically? Do you think the thieves read the forum, then tracked you down, then studied your movements, and then pounced when the time was right?
I would expect organized car thieves to have someone working at the vehicle registration office so they can search for special cars that are just being registered.

Quick Reply: GT2RS STOLEN IN SWEDEN ****