Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Engine Failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
I have been told by a dealer mechanic who has worked with this issue that two known failures were due to bad rod bearings.

As many of you are aware, rod bearings are one of the first pieces to show wear in competition motors.

In the case of .2 GT motors it is not yet apparent what the cause of rod bearing failure has been.
So does the local porsche dealership diagnose/open the engine? Or ship the entire motor back to Germany and replacement?

i ask, because coming from a gt4 the 3rd gear failures were only assumed to be from a weak eb weld rather than a splined gear. The dealerships did not open the gear boxes but sent them back to Germany. We as a forum only found out through the work of gtgears and the folks at sharkwerks whom opened a healthy box to inspect.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo

So does the local porsche dealership diagnose/open the engine? Or ship the entire motor back to Germany and replacement?

i ask, because coming from a gt4 the 3rd gear failures were only assumed to be from a weak eb weld rather than a splined gear. The dealerships did not open the gear boxes but sent them back to Germany. We as a forum only found out through the work of gtgears and the folks at sharkwerks whom opened a healthy box to inspect.
it is my understanding that the affected cars were among the first deliveried in cooler climates on either US coast.

Motors were not broken down at dealer, but the mechanic that provided info is privi to such info due to his level of training or expertise (918 certified mechanic).
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

it is my understanding that the affected cars were among the first deliveried in cooler climates on either US coast.

Motors were not broken down at dealer, but the mechanic that provided info is privi to such info due to his level of training or expertise (918 certified mechanic).
This is extremely helpful information. Any idea if there has been any mid-cycle changes to sourcing or manufacturing as a result of the early learnings re: the rod bearing failures?

The reason I ask is I just picked up my very first GT3 (one of the last of the 2018’s I suspect) yesterday. Phenomenal car and experience. My dealer installed the GMG exhaust mod for better sound. My last Porsche was a 89 944 Turbo S - hence my astonishment at the awesomeness that is a GT3.

I am going to put about 1500 road miles on it and then start tracking it next years.

As a current Ferrari California T owner (fun car but for a different mission of course), please let me commend all of you GT3 owners on your decision to buy one of these things. Just. Frickin. Awesome.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SB27

This is extremely helpful information. Any idea if there has been any mid-cycle changes to sourcing or manufacturing as a result of the early learnings re: the rod bearing failures?

The reason I ask is I just picked up my very first GT3 (one of the last of the 2018’s I suspect) yesterday. Phenomenal car and experience. My dealer installed the GMG exhaust mod for better sound. My last Porsche was a 89 944 Turbo S - hence my astonishment at the awesomeness that is a GT3.

I am going to put about 1500 road miles on it and then start tracking it next years.

As a current Ferrari California T owner (fun car but for a different mission of course), please let me commend all of you GT3 owners on your decision to buy one of these things. Just. Frickin. Awesome.
I too was hoping for more answers here before speaking to my mechanic.

Hopefully we will know more soon.

As others have said, don’t sweat it. That is why we have warranties.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Some of the dumbest posts ever in this thread lol
I see you are in Atlanta..... Perhaps with PNA? So cleaning lady,,,, whats the inside scoop on this?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:26 AM
prl
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27

awesome! I’m sure once mines all back together I’ll be releaved and excited! My car was delivered October this year. It does seam to be a rare problem as others said I wouldn’t worry about it. I was just one of the few thus far unlucky ones, hopefully it stays that way. I’ll just be beating up my gts during the wait.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:42 PM
mose121
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers will not tear them down and will likely never receive a specific cause of failure in these instances. Porsche will want the motors back whole so they can properly access the failure without risk of "contamination" so to speak.

918 certified tech's don't really have any more direct access to that kind information than any other dealer tech would. Corporate doesn't generally communicate this kind of information to any dealer level employee. So the only way he would possibly be told something like that is if a corporate employee he came in contact with at training or a similar meeting/event spilled the beans. But in general that is a major no no for a PCNA employee to break ranks like that and divulge that kind of information to a dealer.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mose121
Dealers will not tear them down and will likely never receive a specific cause of failure in these instances. Porsche will want the motors back whole so they can properly access the failure without risk of "contamination" so to speak.

918 certified tech's don't really have any more direct access to that kind information than any other dealer tech would. Corporate doesn't generally communicate this kind of information to any dealer level employee. So the only way he would possibly be told something like that is if a corporate employee he came in contact with at training or a similar meeting/event spilled the beans. But in general that is a major no no for a PCNA employee to break ranks like that and divulge that kind of information to a dealer.
People talk to each other. We are a community of enthusiasts well supported by other enthusiasts who happen to be mechanics.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add another bit of data. Was at the dealer getting my .1RS serviced a few weeks ago. Delivery mile .2 GT3 was in the bay next to me getting an engine swap. Never got out of PDI, tech went to fill it with gas and got flat towed back. Seized engine, couldn't turn it over. New engine swapped in. Porsche AG techs flown in and in the back room tore the engine apart. No idea what the final diagnoses was but sounds like what several others have experienced.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I have been told by a dealer mechanic who has worked with this issue that two known failures were due to bad rod bearings.

As many of you are aware, rod bearings are one of the first pieces to show wear in competition motors.

In the case of .2 GT motors it is not yet apparent what the cause of rod bearing failure has been.
This is laughable. We can most certainly surmise it's not a rod bearing issue based on this post alone.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I’ll add one here: my buddy’s .2 GT3 with about 1500-2000 miles on it was throwing codes at high RPM related to exhaust cam adjuster. Porsche requested heads be taken off and inspected. New engine was authorized and it was swapped just a few weeks ago. This was a car delivered just a couple months ago.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by loopsandsounds
I'll add another bit of data. Was at the dealer getting my .1RS serviced a few weeks ago. Delivery mile .2 GT3 was in the bay next to me getting an engine swap. Never got out of PDI, tech went to fill it with gas and got flat towed back. Seized engine, couldn't turn it over. New engine swapped in. Porsche AG techs flown in and in the back room tore the engine apart. No idea what the final diagnoses was but sounds like what several others have experienced.
Okay that most certainly is a new record.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is laughable. We can most certainly surmise it's not a rod bearing issue based on this post alone.
Please explain why we can surmise it’s NOT a bad rod bearings in light of this evidence. The statements reported all identify rod bearings as the cause, the seizures without loss of oil pressure warnings point to rod bearings, a bad rod bearing would definitely cause seizure and would in many case cause enough damage to justify new engine as opposed to just new bearings.

If not rod rod bearings then what can we surmise?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Please explain why we can surmise it’s NOT a bad rod bearings in light of this evidence. The statements reported all identify rod bearings as the cause, the seizures without loss of oil pressure warnings point to rod bearings, a bad rod bearing would definitely cause seizure and would in many case cause enough damage to justify new engine as opposed to just new bearings.

If not rod rod bearings then what can we surmise?
Reread the reply from Mose121. That's why.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Reread the reply from Mose121. That's why.
Ok, I re- read it. He says generally this and generally that. Here we have evidence that what “generally happens” didn’t happen here and in fact in one case PAG techs came to dealer. Further, even without tearing engine down if no loss of oil pressure reported first and pump is good and there is a seizure the culprits are pretty much narrowed down.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Engine Failures