Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS LWB Seat Ergonomics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3RS LWB Seat Ergonomics

LWB Seat back angle. What is the best solution (Other than GT2RS seats) to change the seat back angle of the Light Weight Buckets? The seat has an electric motor that moves the height of the seat up or down and even at the bottom position the seat back angle is too vertical. I sat in the car with helmet and Hans and my head is too far forward to be completely comfortable.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:03 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

A lot of GT4s (me included) have fitted Autoquest height arms. They work well with a Hans (tough I had already bought the . You adjust the back angle with the electric height; down low really laid back and tilts forward as you raise the seat.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:06 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

I tried Autoquest arms and then took them off. They lay the seat back enough to make you feel like your riding the strip in a g-ride. When I had the dealer take them out, I was told that I wasn't the first with the same complaint.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

I saw another brand online that lifts the seat 3" in the front! That has to be too much. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam and after 100 miles in the car the best driving position for me without a helmet and Hans is 3/4 of the stroke of the motor down, from fully up position. The seat is rock solid and supportive otherwise. I like the LWB in my 996 GT3 with the Bray Krause brackets better. LOL!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:40 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a set di autoquest brackets for sale for 2 seats... Like new conditions... Just taken out the box... 180 euro shipped in the usa
Old 09-04-2018, 05:16 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I tried Autoquest arms and then took them off. They lay the seat back enough to make you feel like your riding the strip in a g-ride. When I had the dealer take them out, I was told that I wasn't the first with the same complaint.
Maybe the seat base is different in the GT3 (though I doubt that). With seat in a high position the Autoquest product is still results in a quite upright seat angle so has a decent range of adjustment. I meant to add in my post that I bought a Scroth Flex which works a lot better than a standard Hans in the LWBs, as it doesn't have the high back rest.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:06 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I put the Autoquest angle adjusters in my car and it is a total game changer for me. So much more room and comfort. Meaker and I installed them, took about 40 mins per side. The only problem with them is that the fire extinguisher on the passenger side is a lot more in the way with the new setup for passengers 5’10” and below. I may remove FE the bracket from the seat.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 AM
J5isalive2
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the autoquest arms.... just the right amount of lean to make the seats much more tolerable. Glad i installed them. Took about 35-40 minutes.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Anyone else notice how much easier it is to get in and out of the .1 RS? The side bolsters seem deeper on the .2 models. I was sitting in one the other day at my local dealership and it was almost as easy to get in and out of those buckets versus sofas relative to my .2 GT3.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Anyone else notice how much easier it is to get in and out of the .1 RS? The side bolsters seem deeper on the .2 models. I was sitting in one the other day at my local dealership and it was almost as easy to get in and out of those buckets versus sofas relative to my .2 GT3.
The buckets shape/design are the same on the .1's and .2's. Maybe there's more/less bottom seat cushion.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:03 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Porsche needs to address this. . enough is enough
Old 09-04-2018, 03:57 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently have the AutoQuest pivot arms and am thinking about going back to the OEM setup. I have two complaints with the AutoQuest. The first is that the recline is, for me, just a little too much. As you raise the seat it becomes slightly less inclined but I find I'm having to raise the seat higher than I want it to get as upright as I want to be, and I'd prefer to be as low/close to the chassis as possible. The other complaint is that there is a certain amount of movement in the seat, that after two trips to the installer, I just can't seem to eliminate. It's not a lot, but when I stab hard on the clutch or brake or rock back at a complete stop, the seat seems to have a little free play that I attribute to the pivot arms. So, I think I'm going back to the upright OEM set up and set the seat as low as possible and hope I can get used to it. If not, I may try the TrackSpec option, which you may want to check out. It's a different approach that raises the seat an inch in the front but doesn't change the angle thru the vertical travel the way the AutoQuest does.

People who like the AutoQuest product best seem to appreciate it on track with a harness and HANS, where the upright OEM seat position pushes the head forward. So far when I've tracked I just wear a helmet and 3-pt factory belt, no harness/HANS yet, so not so much an issue for me, but ironically, perhaps, I want to be more upright on track and for spirited driving, and appreciate the additional recline most on long, boring stretches of interstate.

BTW I've heard of others just using washers or some other sort of spacer under the front seat bolts to get just a few milimeters of additional recline. Clearly you can't get an inch or two that way, but it's an option if you just need a slight adjustment.

And I agree that Porsche needs to address this. If they are going to have the added weight of a motor for electric height adjustment anyway, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to have the seat angle adjustable as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Well we are lucky Porsche even offers the seats. Since the seats have fixed head rests, the DOT head rest requirements dictate the seat angle (distance of the head to the head rest). Those little pillow's we get in the US are due to this ruling. The height adjustment is also another mandate by DOT.

I can see a day that a fixed back seat won't be offered on a street car in US due to DOT regulations.

Only thing Porsche will do is no longer offer the seats.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:29 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I loved the seat angle on the LWB.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
The side sills are a bit wider, otherwise the entry and exit geometry is exactly the same between the .1 and .2 RS.

Ryan

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS LWB Seat Ergonomics