Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   At $500k, a new gt2rs or a 2011 gt3rs 4.0? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1093261-at-500k-a-new-gt2rs-or-a-2011-gt3rs-4-0-a.html)

robmypro 08-26-2018 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by BryanCO (Post 15243735)
:thumbup:

Great day for a drive today in CO. :)

Yes it was!

Mika911 08-26-2018 04:13 AM

For those with extensive experience of the 4.0, does it deliver its magic out of the box or does it need suspension and exhaust enhancements to really reach its zenith? I have found the 3.6 and 3.8 variants good but underwhelming as standard but with enhancements to exhaust and suspension they all turned into semi race cars.

Jrtaylor9 08-26-2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mika911
For those with extensive experience of the 4.0, does it deliver its magic out of the box or does it need suspension and exhaust enhancements to really reach its zenith? I have found the 3.6 and 3.8 variants good but underwhelming as standard but with enhancements to exhaust and suspension they all turned into semi race cars.

A bypass is all it needs imo

joejenie 08-28-2018 12:34 AM

Here's another question. Let's say in the $325-425k range. 997.2 4.0 or a 911 R? I ask because I have seen some 4.0's that will take $400-425 (I'm hearing even lower in some cases). Maybe not a fair comparison since there is probably $75-100k difference, but which one would you add if you only could add one? Would love to hear from guys who have either owned both or driven both. TIA

mooty 08-28-2018 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mika911 (Post 15243861)

it depends no what have you driven before. i used to "improve" cars.
then i had 2 cup cars and 1 CS. i no longer mod cars. not even exhaust.
b/c no matter what u do, they are not comparable to factory all out race cars. not EVEN REMOTELY close.

Originally Posted by joejenie (Post 15248124)
Here's another question. Let's say in the $325-425k range. 997.2 4.0 or a 911 R? I ask because I have seen some 4.0's that will take $400-425 (I'm hearing even lower in some cases). Maybe not a fair comparison since there is probably $75-100k difference, but which one would you add if you only could add one? Would love to hear from guys who have either owned both or driven both. TIA

they are totally different
both wonderful
but very very different.
911R is riding a trained pure bred
RS4.0 is riding a bronco, i just drove it today for almost 200 miles on mt roads. and i had to talk dirty and whip its ass to get it to drive right

meyerhoffer 08-28-2018 05:58 PM

@ Moody enjoyable discussion as always.
What ARE the differences between a 4.0 and 3.8 in your mind?
How would you mod a 3.8 to make it closer to a 4.0 ?
- or not?
taking track out of the equation
totally agree with you once you track you never go back
having owned a CS myself there is no substitute for a real PMNA car
Close friend owned both 4 and 38
we spoke this week abot this
he prefer 38 on street.
maybe you can talk dirty to a 38 2?

mooty 08-29-2018 12:38 AM

i bought 4.0 at msrp
it is very low optoin and cheaper than most 3.8
if you had to pay 500 for a 4.0 then perhaps 3.8 is better deal
i woudlnt' bother with modding. just drive it.
for many years i owned 2 3.8 and 1 4.0
i only track the 3.8 they were modded with moton and sticky rubber.

meyerhoffer 08-29-2018 11:25 AM

Thanks.
And drive it I do.
msrp car. snow in europe and tracked. Rain dirt.
chip on the hood. New engine. Think it’s a 4.0 they put in as it pulls hard ;)
Dosent matter, never selling.
Always tremendous pleasure to take out
Only saw one at Werks and the whole week
personally it’s the deal of the line up. 3.8
wish I had a few more like u used 2.
Btw what’s moton??
and it’s PTS+
White.

unotaz 08-29-2018 01:32 PM

Hey, one thing the GT2RS does better than the 4.0 is that it gets you VIP parking at Rennsport Reunion :roflmao:

sgroer 08-29-2018 02:02 PM

After having a 2RS for 24 hours now... I'd take the 2RS. It is so much more than the sum of its parts. Just had Leh Keen drive it and he was blown away. Said the chassis is very composed and would be hard to find the limit.

FORENN 08-29-2018 02:38 PM

No interest in a 4.0. And price on 2RS will continue to drop. At 500K, I'd be looking for a special one-off like a Singer. And am considering it.

BrntRubber 08-29-2018 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by msimon9 (Post 15242169)
Some great justifications. In looking at value alone I feel these two cars will maintain consistent values in perpetuity as all gt2’s gt2rs have. The limited versions of these cars (pts, Cxx, wp) will always be in higher demand and sell quicker at a premium. I guess what I was asking is do people prefer the extra few hundred HP and overall capabilities of the gt2rs lend to a more fun driving experience than that of a 997 4.0? Or is it just the opposite? I believe that this version of the gt2rs will be the last of the non electric supplemented versions, making it the most capable gas 911 forever. I personally have a commission for a gt2rs but would love to purchase a 4.0 in the near future. Thanks for all of your feedback and I welcome more opinions!

I think it is 50/50 it is the last turbo only gt2. If it is, it will be worth big money long term. If it isn’t it won’t be worth what it is now.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15242687)

This absurdity alone says enough.
The GT2RS should and never will be close to what a 4.0 is worth.
Either the GT2RS is crazy over valued if you accept $150K over MSRP or the 4.0 is a screaming deal.

I am no expert but if the next one is hybrid I think this statement could be proved wrong.

Originally Posted by DerStig (Post 15242756)
The fact that you are asking which car means you are completely clueless and the only similarity between either of those cars and you is the fact that you have money you dont know what to do with. I sincerely ask that you leave the brand and go elsewhere. People like you and enthusiasts dont belong to the same sentence.

You are out of line and frankly an Ahole.

Originally Posted by msimon9 (Post 15243414)

Douchebag, I am aware that these are two very different cars. Hence the reason I am asking the preference of the group. Yes, I am fortunate enough to be able to make this purchase and would like some feedback as to what some of the justification for ownership would be from other enthusiasts. I am a collector, I am a track day lover, I drive my cars and I almost never sell anything I own. I can tear a car apart from front to back and top to bottom. You have zero right to ask me to leave the brand. If you can’t afford the brand in this circumstance, please refrain from posting, no one asked you for your negativity.

Well said. I see nothing wrong wanting to ask the opinion of very experienced owners which car they would suggest at the same price point. It is an interesting discussion.

i wish keyboard warriors didn’t click on a thread knowing they are just going to moan.

unotaz 08-29-2018 11:56 PM

A new Singer build will cost more than 500k nowadays. 700k is more like it when you factor in the original donor car.

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts (Post 15251989)
No interest in a 4.0. And price on 2RS will continue to drop. At 500K, I'd be looking for a special one-off like a Singer. And am considering it.

mooty 08-30-2018 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by meyerhoffer (Post 15251436)
r. snow in europe and tracked. Rain dirt.
chip
Btw what’s moton??
and it’s PTS+

moton are adjustable shocks

Originally Posted by unotaz (Post 15251780)
Hey, one thing the GT2RS does better than the 4.0 is that it gets you VIP parking at Rennsport Reunion :roflmao:

damn it....
though when i raced RRV, i had paddock parking and i get in before track at 5am, then i nap in the trailer hahaha

Originally Posted by sgroer (Post 15251877)
After having a 2RS for 24 hours now... I'd take the 2RS. It is so much more than the sum of its parts. Just had Leh Keen drive it and he was blown away. Said the chassis is very composed and would be hard to find the limit.

i had the pleasure of abusing one IN THE WET...
it doesn't drive like a turbo
it doesn't sound like a turbo
it really is OTHERWORLDLY. like a very fast GT3

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts (Post 15251989)

it's 700

Originally Posted by unotaz (Post 15253322)
A new Singer build will cost more than 500k nowadays. 700k is more like it when you factor in the original donor car.

you took the words right out of my mouth
actually it's 700 without donor, if a want 4.0L, velocity stacks, 6 speed with guards LSD.
i fainted while at singer talking to them, had to be resuscitated LOL
it's moving art. not just car.
and it drove beautifully.