Sponsored by:

Rolex vs Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Rolex vs Porsche

These two companies are known for quality, demand, are old and worldwide, and exclusivity especially for GT cars (Porsche) and Professional series (Rolex) . Both have high demand products but market and distribute differently. We all know how Porsche does it but Rolex controls distribution in a manner we could all appreciate and the dealers, customers are very happy and the flippers not so much. Rolex controls this process by having consequences for non compliance. Each dealer gets one warning and next infraction could result in loss of the dealership. First, No ADM's, second required MSRP, no discounts on specific watches, third if a new watch gets posted on an auction site Rolex works hard to trace back to a dealer. Strike one! Rolex grew over 20% last year, controls production, has over 50% market share in US and demand for the Professional Series is off the charts. It works and everyone is happy.
If some significant % of the new GT cars were acquired by flippers/speculators which it appears, and many who really wanted an allocation to drive were deprived that is not good for any of us. Rolex figured out how to control their market.
Thoughts
Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

One is in control of dealer sales practices. One is not. At least this is the case in the US.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 08-23-2018 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3_Driver (06-04-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
These two companies are known for quality, demand, are old and worldwide, and exclusivity especially for GT cars (Porsche) and Professional series (Rolex) . Both have high demand products but market and distribute differently. We all know how Porsche does it but Rolex controls distribution in a manner we could all appreciate and the dealers, customers are very happy and the flippers not so much. Rolex controls this process by having consequences for non compliance. Each dealer gets one warning and next infraction could result in loss of the dealership. First, No ADM's, second required MSRP, no discounts on specific watches, third if a new watch gets posted on an auction site Rolex works hard to trace back to a dealer. Strike one! Rolex grew over 20% last year, controls production, has over 50% market share in US and demand for the Professional Series is off the charts. It works and everyone is happy.
If some significant % of the new GT cars were acquired by flippers/speculators which it appears, and many who really wanted an allocation to drive were deprived that is not good for any of us. Rolex figured out how to control their market.
Thoughts
PAG feigned it was upset about flipping and ADMs. It says it builds cars to drive Not collector peices.

Its actions say different.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Rolex makes, what, a million watches a year? Porsche makes how many GT cars? The Rolex non-AD market worldwide is enormous. How many non dealer GT cars are circulating? Apples to oranges.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Thoughts
That’s not been my experience. Steel Daytona’s are available if you want to pay a huge markup. Retail there’s a 1-2 year wait. It’s been that way for years so whatever they are doing is not working.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:33 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The difference is that in consumer goods you can have (1) manufacturer owned dealers and (2) legally enforce MSRP sales and terminate franchisee stores somewhat easily. Due to state laws, neither are true for cars in the US.

Note GT cars in UK/Europe/Canada/Asia are sold at MSRP to the initial buyer. That is, in my view, almost entirely related to the laws and distribution channels.
The following 2 users liked this post by evilfij:
cox1974 (06-03-2020), Mr. Adair (06-13-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:34 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

"That’s not been my experience. Steel Daytona’s are available if you want to pay a huge markup. Retail there’s a 1-2 year wait. It’s been that way for years so whatever they are doing is not working."

+1

I've found this to be the case, as well.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:50 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Millennials are killing watch collecting. Been through several Rolex's and AP's. I'm down to just one watch PAM 249 Cali dial, I'll always wear it everyday I can.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:53 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Millennials are killing watch collecting. Been through several Rolex's and AP's. I'm down to just one watch PAM 249 Cali dial, I'll always wear it everyday I can.
Man, can you guys post a list somewhere? I can't keep up with what I'm responsible for killing any more.

I like my watches.
The following 3 users liked this post by ToasterThief:
fijibubba (06-05-2020), J9277655 (06-12-2020), paddlefoot64 (06-03-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:55 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Rolex recently took the additional step of requiring ADs to remove the plastic film on the watches to dampen the interest on flipper resale. ADs also seem to keep a closer eye on its customers as to whether they will fulfill future purchases of its high demand pieces. Rolex frowns on flippers and its ADs generally adhere to what Rolex wants.

Has Porsche ever publicly told its dealers to steer cars toward (or away) from particular customers?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:59 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Man, can you guys post a list somewhere? I can't keep up with what I'm responsible for killing any more.

I like my watches.
Generally speaking, millennials spend less money overall compared to previous generations. The Apple Watch coming on the scene a few years ago didn't help watch collecting. It's not a knock on millennials, but rather a common pattern.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The difference is that in consumer goods you can have (1) manufacturer owned dealers and (2) legally enforce MSRP sales and terminate franchisee stores somewhat easily. Due to state laws, neither are true for cars in the US.

Note GT cars in UK/Europe/Canada/Asia are sold at MSRP to the initial buyer. That is, in my view, almost entirely related to the laws and distribution channels.
^this. The dealership laws in the states are archaic and designed to save jobs at the expense of the consumer.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief

I like my watches.
Same here... building a collection one at a time... so far loving the watch game

Originally Posted by WernerE
Rolex recently took the additional step of requiring ADs to remove the plastic film on the watches to dampen the interest on flipper resale. ADs also seem to keep a closer eye on its customers as to whether they will fulfill future purchases of its high demand pieces. Rolex frowns on flippers and its ADs generally adhere to what Rolex wants.

Has Porsche ever publicly told its dealers to steer cars toward (or away) from particular customers?
Spoke to my local dealer and they will not do business on GT cars with people who are there to flip them. Flip a car once, and you are on their black list. They sell cars at MSRP.

Spoke to a different dealer (further away from me) and they were willing for me to jump the line in front of everyone for 25k and get my car right away. I flipped them off - because the next person in line is supposed to get the car, not someone who just showed up.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Who cares.

I don’t like Rolex’s.
The following users liked this post:
4pipes (06-03-2020)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro