Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a real job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

In my 30s and minority owner (VP/COO) of one of the largest roofing companies in the country. I run the business day-to-day and don't really have specific duties besides helping to put out fires, improving processes and being available for my team. Sometimes there's not much to do, other days my head is spinning. Founded and sold a couple tech / marketing businesses in my 20s. Got into crypto early so did well with that, even in this bear market. Grew up with nothing, inherited nothing.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Grew up with less than nothing, no inheritance, which seems like the norm here. Owe all I have to a tremendous wife with excellent budgeting and planning skills,and a short list of people that helped me along the way. Was in a company in a distressed situation in my late 20's where I was managing the engineering design dept. A consultant from then Coopers and Lybrand told me, "son, you have potential, but first I will have to beat the engineer out of you to make you a business man". I learned from him as he beat me constantly. I left that business with his help. I met my next mentor, a big Steven Covey fan as was I.He said to me "you know quadrant II work is the only real work, well equity is the only real job, Why are you working for someone else? What's your life goal now? Your not one of those guys that just wants to show up at his 25th class reunion with the biggest Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in his class are you? is that your measure of success? Do you not have higher aspirations than that?" with a lot of salty language I left out. Really shook me up, as I respected him greatly. The next chance I had we both left and created a start up. I have had small businesses since then. I have had 5 such people in total help me make real changes over time. I owe and appreciate them, and remind them as often as I can. As far as how do you find time, I have one son and he is out on his own now. Doesn't seem to be that big a problem for my wife and I.

One interesting fun fact, my mentor didn't even know I was a car guy at the time, he didn't have the brand and model right, and I don't care for reunions, but equity or no equity, I care very much what I drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 01:12 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Got into crypto early so did well with that, even in this bear marke.
Biggest mistake in my life was not trusting my gut and taking a punt on buying $100 worth of bitcoin in winter 2011 when they were $2/coin. If I had, that $100 would have turned into $320,000 right now, and $1,000,000 at its peak. I also really regret not buying nVidia at $19/share like I advised my girlfriend to do in 2013. She's gotten a 14x return on that investment. Shame she only had $1,000 from a summer internship IRA income tax conversion to invest at the time.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:14 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Captain at a major airline. work about 15-16 days per month. Used to own a one man powdercoating shop specializing in brake calipers for corvettes and camaros, but retired that business when I upgraded to Captain and started making more with 1 job than I was with 2 as a first officer. When I had both jobs, I worked 29-30 days per month for 14 years.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:23 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

No inheritance. Worked since 18 on many performance / commission based jobs during college. Paid my own College education. Now 33. Owned a few businesses. Sold them, though still have large stake in one of them. Now mainly in sales consulting and contract negotiations for a couple of companies. Salary + commission + profit sharing + bonuses + royalties + expenses/benefits without any of the headaches. I’ll soon figure something else they sold pay me for. Make my own schedule. Work from home 75% of the time. No one to really answer to since I make the revenue grow at an accelerated rate and get things done without any supervision. Just collect signatures and checks. Also play stock market, commodities, industrial equipment sales, and commercial/residential real estate when the opportunity is right. I set goals and they somehow materialize. Feel very blessed to be where I’m at and being able to enjoy many luxuries before my hair turns white. Always enjoy life to the fulllest because tomorrow is not guaranteed. First GT3 was at 24. Bit of a workaholic at times. I always help others when the situation warrants it and think I’m fair, but I have very low tolerance for excuses or incompetence. Which can make me come across as insensitive at times. Working on that.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
i think i will slow down and have a real job that's more relaxing when i am dead.
oh, job, i digress
was architect
then banker
then PE
the RE
You forgot Mole Juice Smoothy entrepreneur mooty
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

works at home most of the time, 12 hr work days. No inheritance for sure, how about partially supporting my parents when i was 2nd year in college, not to mention paying and working through it. Got my first german car at 34, supercars and exotics at 36. Dunno how to run or sell business, dunno **** about software and tech, not in gov or military, not a big networking guy either. i consider myself pretty blessed
Old 08-23-2018, 02:58 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

BSME, owner of manufacturing business (OEM auto parts) for 22 years.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:12 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Map making turned into geographic information systems turned into software sales and now been with Autodesk almost 20 years. It's not my salary that got me here.... look at ADSK.
ADSK will do it:-)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 PM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

As Mooty said, I think efficiency is key. I have owned a couple of small businesses and do real estate on the side, but being efficient is the most important thing. Now a days, its hard to just get people to accomplish the smallest tasks.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I pay **** stars off for politicians and browse RL for a living.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
. Always enjoy life to the fulllest because tomorrow is not guaranteed. ... I always help others when the situation warrants it and think I’m fair, but I have very low tolerance for excuses or incompetence. Which can make me come across as insensitive at times. Working on that.
ah.. nice, rude like me.
we will get along just fine ;-)

Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I pay **** stars off for politicians and browse RL for a living.
I never got the chance to thank you for my payoff - I bought a GT3T with it
Old 08-23-2018, 04:59 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasman85
33 and work as an anesthesiologist. Most days are spent supervising CRNAs so there’s a lot of down time to browse rennlist
+1
Old 08-23-2018, 05:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Self taught.
just about to watch some refresher courses...
The following users liked this post:
D1ESEL (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Do you have a real job?