GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Congrats. So so clean.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:44 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Great to see these greens. Congrats! Mine looks close to Brewster in the shade... and then in the sun the Oak Metallic pops!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:54 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Congrats Wolf. What a pair.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

That R is off the charts.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

gorgeous congrats
Old 08-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmobil
Some answers:
...2,000 miles in both 911R and GT3 Touring. I don't want to open the Pandora's box. All I can say is GT3 Touring is a pinnacle of manual flat six. That is until you drive 911R. After that GT3 seems boring...
Not looking to start any arguments. Just objective observations...

Does your 911R have SMF? If so, how would you describe the way the shifting, throttle, and sound differs between 911R and GT3T? If your 911R doesn’t have SMF, can you feel any difference, and if so, what?

Does your GT3T have LWB seats like the R? If it has sofas, could your impressions be colored by that? I used to have a GT4 with sofas and now have 981 Spyder with LWBs, and it seems far more engaging to drive, but I’m fairly sure at least some of that feeling has to do with the lower more connected feel the LWBs give me.

Given your seat time in both, what do you feel are the greatest objective differences in the driving experience?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

^ Looks like both of these cars have LWBs? Agree with your point about the difference they make over a "suspension"/sofa seat. Your Spyder also gets narrower rear tires and summer tires to boot—which have always struck me as having a more "precise" feel than R-compound tires up to a certain point.

I'm curious about SMF in the R, as well. Integral to that car's experience. There are other elements to the R, too, from compliance to tuning preferences to noises, etc. that separate the two, but even as one who could be accused of making mountains of molehills from time to time, I don't see the vast differences in overall experience some do, and slightly prefer the Touring's engine. There is something to the R experience, however, so it's interesting to read feedback from those who own both.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Not looking to start any arguments. Just objective observations...

Does your 911R have SMF? If so, how would you describe the way the shifting, throttle, and sound differs between 911R and GT3T? If your 911R doesn’t have SMF, can you feel any difference, and if so, what?

Does your GT3T have LWB seats like the R? If it has sofas, could your impressions be colored by that? I used to have a GT4 with sofas and now have 981 Spyder with LWBs, and it seems far more engaging to drive, but I’m fairly sure at least some of that feeling has to do with the lower more connected feel the LWBs give me.

Given your seat time in both, what do you feel are the greatest objective differences in the driving experience?
Both cars have buckets. 911R has SMFW. You can definitely feel how much faster the revs rise and fall on 911R. You can definitely feel the suspension more playful on 911R. And personally I like the noise of the R a lot more. When I drive GT3T I fee like I am driving a really good sports car. When I drive 911R I feel a sense of occasion. I feel like I am driving a very special car.

Back to GT4 and Spyder. In my opinion regardless of the seats Spyder is more fun. I owned both. Spyder has better suspension. No two setups like in GT4. The engineers had to make only one setup right and they nailed it. The tires are narrower and it makes the car more playful. And for obvious reasons it sounds better.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Both cars have buckets. 911R has SMFW. You can definitely feel how much faster the revs rise and fall on 911R. You can definitely feel the suspension more playful on 911R. And personally I like the noise of the R a lot more. When I drive GT3T I fee like I am driving a really good sports car. When I drive 911R I feel a sense of occasion. I feel like I am driving a very special car.

Back to GT4 and Spyder. In my opinion regardless of the seats Spyder is more fun. I owned both. Spyder has better suspension. No two setups like in GT4. The engineers had to make only one setup right and they nailed it. The tires are narrower and it makes the car more playful. And for obvious reasons it sounds better.
Thanks for your impressions. I can certainly understand how the R and GT3 would feel and sound so different given the SMFW and the totally different engine. I had a 991.1 GT3, which has more in common with the R engine, and although I haven’t yet received my Touring nor driven a 991.2 GT3, it’s clear from video reviews how very different the engines sound.

When you say say the R suspension more playful, do you mean it’s softer / leans more in aggressive driving?

re: Spyder and GT4, I’ve written here before how much I love the Spyder and how they nailed the suspension setup with one setting. My Spyder, which I bought used with about 3200 Miles, had Trofeo R tires on it that had just been put on by the prior owner, and which I’ve kept on it. They feel fantastic... soft, compliant, grippy. They probably add back some of the lost traction vs the GT4 due to the narrower tire setup. But when I replace them, I’ll probably go with Pilot Sport 4S, since the Trofeo R’s are so expensive, don’t last very long, and are poor in the wet. I’ve never liked the standard P Zeros.

I plan to keep the Spyder when the Touring comes. Figure they might just be the perfect pair. Sure, would prefer an R vs Touring I think if only for that sense of occasion you mention above and also for its Royalty and Rarity among the 991 Porsches. But I can’t complain. Am really looking forward to the Touring, which again, no kidding, I modeled after your R in two meetings with Yana in Atlanta....

It won’t be an exact copy though... I went with chrome Touring trim, standard silver xenon headlights, piping on the LWB seats with houndstooth inserts, and the standard all black Touring stitching. I am doing side stripes, but not white like your R; going soft blue (similar to Gulf) instead, which will make for a subtler tone on tone look.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

The Brewster Green GT3 would look great with side stripes in silver with Porsche letters in yellow to compliment the chrome trim and brakes.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
The Brewster Green GT3 would look great with side stripes in silver with Porsche letters in yellow to compliment the chrome trim and brakes.
It certainly works:

But without the hood stripes I prefer the way wolfmobil has his.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Booooooouteful! Wow!
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
It certainly works:

But without the hood stripes I prefer the way wolfmobil has his.
Actually just got the side stripe exactly like this. Installing next week. Will post some pictures to gauge the opinions. BTW Love Homer's quote. My personal favourite: "My beer! You never had a chance to become my urine!"
Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Actually just got the side stripe exactly like this. Installing next week. Will post some pictures to gauge the opinions. BTW Love Homer's quote. My personal favourite: "My beer! You never had a chance to become my urine!"

I'm struggling with the idea with side stripes myself, although they are more at home on a Touring than a butt winged GT3, so I'm sure they will look great on yours ... the good thing is that it's easy to reverse if one changes their mind.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by timisnthere
@Bardman uni.kaat on ig has a Oak Touring too! Very nice color choice.
Thank you, I have seen his pictures. Lovely. His seats look fantastic.

Quick Reply: Brewster Green GT3 Touring Pictures