Best roll cage for GT3 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

We have a few great options, and if your username is still accurate then we are also a short drive up the coast from you
GMG WEC Series Roll/Harness Bar

GMG LMS Series Roll/Harness Bar

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (06-07-2021)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Mondi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which roll cage is the most similar to factory? Where can I get a factory roll cage from if I live in the United States? Thank you.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:27 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,418 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondi
Which roll cage is the most similar to factory? Where can I get a factory roll cage from if I live in the United States? Thank you.
We have an OEM Euro Factory Cage up for sale if interested shoot me a PM

Thank you!

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 09-18-2018, 01:01 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
We have a few great options, and if your username is still accurate then we are also a short drive up the coast from you
GMG WEC Series Roll/Harness Bar
GMG LMS Series Roll/Harness Bar
You guys make a great looking bar! And I love the rear eyelet config. I just wish you made a separate SKU for the GT3 (and other non-sunroof 991s) so that you could push the bar up closer to the headliner. You're leaving a lot of rear view visibility on the table with the current compromise of 1-bar-for-all (at least that is my understanding of your current offering, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 09-18-2018, 12:53 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mech33
You guys make a great looking bar! And I love the rear eyelet config. I just wish you made a separate SKU for the GT3 (and other non-sunroof 991s) so that you could push the bar up closer to the headliner. You're leaving a lot of rear view visibility on the table with the current compromise of 1-bar-for-all (at least that is my understanding of your current offering, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Regardless of the drivers height, which we have had a wide spectrum of here in the shop, rear visibility has never an issue.

There is a second option for cars with the Panoramic sunroof, like this Carrera:

Old 09-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Regardless of the drivers height, which we have had a wide spectrum of here in the shop, rear visibility has never an issue.
There is a second option for cars with the Panoramic sunroof, like this Carrera:
It's not a deal breaker, just an opportunity for improvement. No great reason to leave a huge gap to the headliner IMO unless it's needed for a wide manufacturing tolerance, or trying to fit multiple car configs with the same part.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We were finally able to get some photos of our own .2 GT3 with our WEC series roll bar, loving the Voodoo!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:05 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not a deal breaker, just an opportunity for improvement. No great reason to leave a huge gap to the headliner IMO unless it's needed for a wide manufacturing tolerance, or trying to fit multiple car configs with the same part.
We understand that. The main reason there is that gap has to do with the room there is to work with along, the degree of each bend in the main hoop and width of the B-pillar area.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

I am 6'3" with a long torso, the harness bar isn't the issue for rearward vision, it's that damn wing!! haha

Getting her ready for Rennsport!

Along with a few others.......

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 09-19-2018, 10:00 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 267 Likes on 160 Posts

I’m 6’1 and run the GMG WEC bar. The top of the bar is not in your field of view, like James said it’s the spoiler that’s the issue.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:46 PM
CMS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
I have had a BBi bar in my RS and a CMS bar in my 991.2 GT3. I am 6'2" with buckets in the lowest position. The CMS bar significantly impacts the upper portion of the view from the rearview mirror; above the wing. The only area you can see clearly is below the wing.

My other two complaints about the CMS bar:

1) the plates for the rear kickers where they mount to the shock towers - the plates could be cut down like BBi's plates to make installation simpler. They are really large and difficult to get into place without complete panel removal.
2) There is a lateral bar across the rear kicker that is too low. It makes it extremely difficult to get the rear shelf carpet back into place.

I would say is a nice bar but if they made the top hoop follow the contour of the roof line visibility would be improved. If they raised the lateral bar on the rear it would make carpet installation easier. Lastly; those plates.... Grr.

Nice bar but definitely could be tweaked to make it better.

- Chris.
Chris, those are really good points and both are points we've addressed based on similar feedback. The rear crossbar was moved up 1.5" and the rear mounting plates were completely re-designed to make installation much simpler. A complaint we heard from people installing roll bars in general was having to wrestle the kickers into place. So we focused our manufacturing process on ensuring our kickers drop in like butter.

The feedback on the rear view is good, you're a taller driver and that's good to know as we continually refine the product. We may well add a bend to the top bar. The reason we didn't initially is we followed NASA and other governing bodies' roll cage rules that require no more than four bends in the main hoop (each bend introduces stress). Docol, however, responds to that stress far better than 4130, so using that material makes us more comfortable with this design. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NotThatFast
Hi sandiego

I am in the process of making that decision and “best” will be a function of what’s important to you. Budget, mods to the car (carpet / panel cutting), weight, architecture of the bar (depending on looks / where you want to attach the harness), availability, etc

GMG offer 3 types (LMS, RSR, WEC) and others like BBI, or Canterel have products out there too. The most OEM looking is Agency Power (also one of the most expensive) and you can see I started a thread recently to get feedback from anyone who used them.
Although these harness bars/roll cages are not used in wheel to wheel racing, there is a design element that should be taken into consideration. The fundamental elements of a roll cage should still be used when possible, and in our case, we have triangulated the rear bars into the main hoop which is what is mandated for roll cage design requirements from the likes of SCCA, NASA, etc.

Example:

Comparatively, when you do not triangulate to the bar's main hoop there is a missed opportunity to add strength and rigidity in one of the most critical places.

Example:

Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Although these harness bars/roll cages are not used in wheel to wheel racing, there is a design element that should be taken into consideration. The fundamental elements of a roll cage should still be used when possible, and in our case, we have triangulated the rear bars into the main hoop which is what is mandated for roll cage design requirements from the likes of SCCA, NASA, etc.

Example:

Comparatively, when you do not triangulate to the bar's main hoop there is a missed opportunity to add strength and rigidity in one of the most critical places.

Example:
Obviously I am biased here but there is a reason why we designed our harness bar the way we did.....strength by design is everything!!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Obviously I am biased here but there is a reason why we designed our harness bar the way we did.....strength by design is everything!!
If a non-triangulated rear diagonal is good enough for the OEM Porsche GT3 Clubsport and GT2RS Weissach titanium designs, it's good enough for me!

For me personally, it was more important to have the bar hug the headliner so that the bar would start "working" in preventing a roof collapse before too much had crunched down towards my head.

But that's the great thing about having options: each customer can choose what's important to them.

Last edited by Mech33; 10-11-2018 at 09:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yargk (06-26-2019)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:54 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 776 Posts

^ you had a good point in your original post. Wonder if anybody has done professional engineering analysis on these bars.

All very interesting as I research my purchase.

Quick Reply: Best roll cage for GT3 991.2