Sponsored by:

Best roll cage for GT3 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Elephant racing also uses some diagrams to help explain triangulation in a great way! https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-...triangulation/
Note that the BBi roll bar you have shown in your post does meet the same FIA guidelines. The specs describe how closely this triangulation must occur to the main hoop attachments, and the BBi is within this spec.

Just trying to make sure folks don’t get the wrong impression from your post.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@gmgracing thanks for the insights, you clearly put a lot of work into producing your cage.

What are your thoughts about the front attachment points you chose compared to other cages which attach over the chassis ? Besides the obvious advantage of not having to cut the panels! I am asking from a safety / rigidity point of view. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:42 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by NotThatFast
@gmgracing thanks for the insights, you clearly put a lot of work into producing your cage.

What are your thoughts about the front attachment points you chose compared to other cages which attach over the chassis ? Besides the obvious advantage of not having to cut the panels! I am asking from a safety / rigidity point of view. Thank you.
The bulkhead area of the chassis we use is both strong and minimally invasive. The panel does require a trim in order to allow the bars to protrude from their mounting location but does not require any drilling through the chassis or backing plates to be used on the underside.

More critically, we use the shock towers as the rear mounting points. Tying the shock towers together is a proven way to increase rigidity in the chassis.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-25-2019, 05:02 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NotThatFast

The fact is that there are many ways to design a roll bar, we choose to incorporate design elements from the Factory built Porsche GT3R race car that we compete with. The thought process behind this is to use the FIA safety standards for racing and make a bolt in unit that will share those characteristics but in a version that is able to be bolted simply in and minimally invasive on the interior trim panels.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much !
Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

What about where the shoulder straps connect to the bar?

On race cars I see short straps connected to a bar right behind the driver seat. With these rear bars we buy for our street cars I see very long straps connected way back far a horizontal section of the bar.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

For some amusement - I recently purchased a Series II GT3 RS clubsport (half cage, extinguisher, cut out etc) - I requested the front part of the cage at time of purchase.

Just got the quote - $12k and 2k to 4k for fitment. This is not the titanium cage - just the run of mill mild steel tube variety I'd be interested to know the pricing in europe for the front part of the cage.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

The bulkhead area of the chassis we use is both strong and minimally invasive. The panel does require a trim in order to allow the bars to protrude from their mounting location but does not require any drilling through the chassis or backing plates to be used on the underside.

More critically, we use the shock towers as the rear mounting points. Tying the shock towers together is a proven way to increase rigidity in the chassis.

In this picture, it looks like the mounting plate is too thick and the rear shock top mount stud can only reach a few threads in the nut.

Or is the nut not yet tighten down fully?
Old 06-26-2019, 01:21 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Or is the nut not yet tighten down fully?[/QUOTE]

Correct, this pic was taken during an installation.......

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

On race cars I see short straps connected to a bar right behind the driver seat. With these rear bars we buy for our street cars I see very long straps connected way back far a horizontal section of the bar.

It all depends on the design of the cage for the race car and the location/size of the bulk head.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:30 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums

Cup cars are designed with the harness bar in the rear of the car also.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks mech33 for your contributions to this thread (and general facts based discussions of products for GT cars.) I have a Cantrell bar in my GT4 and like the bend at the top and measurements of the fit of all bars are helpful.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you guys do customs gussets like BBI? I’d like the gussets on the main hoop to be oriented horizontally rather than vertically (à la the oem clubsport cage) and I like how your bar is the only one that I’ve seen on the market that is triangulated like that. Let me know.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:06 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It might be answered before, but is the half cage design like GMG's RSR a good one in terms of DE safety? I've been looking for a cage but really don't want to lost much of the rear space since I drive to track, sometimes a good 5hrs drive to VIR with a weekend worth of craps (clothes, ez up, etc.). Therefore, I would like to have the rear space for hauling stuffs on a longer/weekend trip.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...arness-rollbar
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
Do you guys do customs gussets like BBI? I’d like the gussets on the main hoop to be oriented horizontally rather than vertically (à la the oem clubsport cage) and I like how your bar is the only one that I’ve seen on the market that is triangulated like that. Let me know.
We'll talk to our team about making custom gussets. In the meantime, we sent you a PM.

For anybody interested in possible custom gussets, please email Dom@gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: Best roll cage for GT3 991.2