Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best roll cage for GT3 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 AM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is would be perfect. Can’t any of the US fabricators make this for us?

Originally Posted by Hams955
There is actually a company in Australia who makes one. I reached out to them once to inquire about purchasing one. They wouldn't export it.

Check this out: http://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/...ty-harness-bar

I'd love to get one.

- Chris.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRidge
This is maybe not as clean and simple as you have in mind, but with no unnecessary crossbars, the view is totally unobstructed, you can still get some bags/gear in the back, and the attachment points are close to the seats as they should be. Clearly this is a harness bar, not roll cage, but I think many of the bolt-in harness/roll bars don't really provide much rollover protection. I just saw two of these installed over the weekend at Barber and thought it was a really appealing option: https://www.teambgb.com/991-Harness-Bar-p/991bar.htm
+1
Old 09-11-2018, 03:35 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

This is maybe not as clean and simple as you have in mind, but with no unnecessary crossbars, the view is totally unobstructed, you can still get some bags/gear in the back, and the attachment points are close to the seats as they should be. Clearly this is a harness bar, not roll cage, but I think many of the bolt-in harness/roll bars don't really provide much rollover protection. I just saw two of these installed over the weekend at Barber and thought it was a really appealing option: https://www.teambgb.com/991-Harness-Bar-p/991bar.htm
Wow this is great info as I think about mods. Do other bars (GMG, Cantrell, BBi meet what BGB is saying are roll bar worthy specs)?

BGB is active in the GT4 section. Perhaps they can chime in here. Can you @mention in threads?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the CMS - installed it myself with only minor psychological pain and a couple skinned knuckles - not for the faint of heart - a six pack and your favorite cuss words help. Fit and finish are great, so is customer service and color matching.
But the rear view is definitely impacted. The fit and alignment relative to the stock GT3 wing make rear viewing marginal, but it's pretty close to the headliner, and I would guess the problem is similar across all these. Others with a curved main hoop may be a bit better, but I didn't like the mount points for the belts or the main hoop of some of the other bars.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Will someone, anyone... just make a rear shock tower/harness bar? For those that don't want to install 50 extra pounds in the back of the car and just want something to mount our harnesses too?

Would love a clean simple rear bar that goes straight across.

Best Regards,
Dave

For a simple harness bar, what about this one? Anyone using it? Looks like the straps are mounted further away from the back of the seat than others. Acceptable?
https://www.tpcracing.com/product/99...y-harness-bar/

Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
For a simple harness bar, what about this one? Anyone using it? Looks like the straps are mounted further away from the back of the seat than others. Acceptable?
https://www.tpcracing.com/product/99...y-harness-bar/

Unfortunately TPC made this work only on cars with back seats as the brackets bolt through holes missing on the GT3.

Brey Krause did the same thing... they recently made a harness mount bar for the 991 but it attaches to rear seatbelt anchor points missing on the GT3.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33

Unfortunately TPC made this work only on cars with back seats as the brackets bolt through holes missing on the GT3.

Brey Krause did the same thing... they recently made a harness mount bar for the 991 but it attaches to rear seatbelt anchor points missing on the GT3.
Well that kinda sucks then, but thanks for the quick reply anyway!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My new roll cage from BBI should be shipped today. Having it powder coated in gun metal which should look good in the black/grey interior. Looking to install next Wednesday. Will send photos.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:08 PM
gan1hck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was one of those cars. love the setup.
the horizontal bar actually helps me load stuff into the back.

as for rollover protection....probably not as strong as the ones with cross bars, but i am personally ok with that.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:55 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I installed a BBI cage in my buddy's 991.2 GT3. The bar put up a good fight. But I won.

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (06-07-2021)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:02 PM
gan1hck
Advanced

This is what mine looks like
Old 09-14-2018, 09:06 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a Cantrell bar, nice product. Clevis joints are at the front connection base plate which I prefer vs at the top.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:57 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

I'm in the market if anyone happens to be removing one of these mentioned.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 AM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mech33

I had BBi customize their bar to add eyelet mounts for the belts for mine. It’s the perfect solution IMO as you can simply unlclip them between track days.

I had a flat top bar on my .1 GT3, and rear view was too impacted for me. Never again...

If CMS bar didn’t have major rear view impact, they would have posted a real rear view picture by now.
I had a CMS roll bar in a 991.1 GT3RS and a 981 GT4, and in both cars their roll bar did not obstruct my rear view at all. Both bars were powder-coated to match the cars and the quality was incredible. Fine if you like the BBi roll bar, but if you have no experience with a product you should refrain from speculating about it and what photographs a manufacturer may or may not have, etc. You sound like a clown.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 AM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

If you want to be critical of a sponsor, that's fine - but do it with verifiable hard data or personal experience.

Quick Reply: Best roll cage for GT3 991.2