Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
It might be answered before, but is the half cage design like GMG's RSR a good one in terms of DE safety? I've been looking for a cage but really don't want to lost much of the rear space since I drive to track, sometimes a good 5hrs drive to VIR with a weekend worth of craps (clothes, ez up, etc.). Therefore, I would like to have the rear space for hauling stuffs on a longer/weekend trip.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...arness-rollbar
You are losing some important structural elements of a roll bar with the RSR. The upside is that you will be able to mount harnesses, while still being able to pack for a track weekend.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 07-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Thanks mech33 for your contributions to this thread (and general facts based discussions of products for GT cars.) I have a Cantrell bar in my GT4 and like the bend at the top and measurements of the fit of all bars are helpful.
Always happy to pass along my learnings.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

Installed the Competition Motorsports bar, fit and finish is great. Somebody previously mentioned a slight visibility concern with the top bar in the centre. There is now a slight bend there. No visibility issues.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Installed the Competition Motorsports bar, fit and finish is great. Somebody previously mentioned a slight visibility concern with the top bar in the centre. There is now a slight bend there. No visibility issues.
Agree. I have that bar on my GT3 and GT3 RS.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

is there a discount for rennlist member? I'd lke to purchase one.

Follow us on Instagram: silverocket718 to stay updated on latest SR products in development.

The following users liked this post:
got2go (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 01:12 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
In this picture, it looks like the mounting plate is too thick and the rear shock top mount stud can only reach a few threads in the nut.

Or is the nut not yet tighten down fully?
I second this, is it not yet tightened down? There are minimal threads contacted there.

Also, did u state that there is panel cutting required? I spoke to gmg via email and you stated only minor carpet modifications. Ty.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Scuderia V
Former Vendor

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

OEM is OEM, designed by Porsche, made for Porsche

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-roll-bar.html
Old 05-04-2020, 08:00 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I have a buddy with the BBI cage. Looks great. But it does make noise when car goes over some bumps. Like a metallic pinging or creaking sound. Best guess is it's the two halves of the cage moving slightly. Was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? And if there's some way to combat it, like maybe a rubber gasket or some type of caulk applied to the the mating surface of the front/back halves of the cage?
The BBI cage in my 991.1 GT3 makes the metallic pinging noise as well. I tried tightening the bolts - it made more noise. I tried spraying some WD40 in the joints - more noise. Loosened and removed the 4 bolts - noise went away but now the bar moves and large bumps will make a clunking noise. Contacted BBI and first response I got they asked where I bought the BBI cage - not helpful so far. Definitely diagnosed it to the bar and not a suspension noise. Also it's on the driver's side and not so much on the passenger side joint.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:05 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
The BBI cage in my 991.1 GT3 makes the metallic pinging noise as well. I tried tightening the bolts - it made more noise. I tried spraying some WD40 in the joints - more noise. Loosened and removed the 4 bolts - noise went away but now the bar moves and large bumps will make a clunking noise. Contacted BBI and first response I got they asked where I bought the BBI cage - not helpful so far. Definitely diagnosed it to the bar and not a suspension noise. Also it's on the driver's side and not so much on the passenger side joint.
I have a BBI cage as well, and it does make a sound when going over a bump fast or something similar. Nothing worth trying to fix in my opinion, as the noise is not always there.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:08 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Yep. Since my post you quoted, I purchased and installed a BBi cage. For about a month everything was good. No issues. But now the cage makes tons of noise. A sort of metallic pinging sound. I contacted BBi both here and directly and their stance is that they've never heard of anybody complain about noise before. Yet my cage makes noise. My friend's cage makes noise. Your cage makes noise. And I've found a bunch of other accounts of other customers saying the same thing.

I brought the car back to the shop who did the install and their best guess is that maybe there's something inside the cage rattling around, like a piece of welding material that broke off. I contacted BBi about possibly warranty-ing the cage and they want me to bring the car back to the shop again. Gonna cost me $$$$ to have the shop tear the interior of the car apart again. But the noise is driving me crazy. Every few seconds there's a *ping* *ping-ping* sound.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:08 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
I have a BBI cage as well, and it does make a sound when going over a bump fast or something similar. Nothing worth trying to fix in my opinion, as the noise is not always there.
In my case, it makes noise constantly. Every 1-2 seconds.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Custom 1-piece and skip the noise...
Old 05-05-2020, 01:20 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been trying to ignore the pinging noise with the BBI bar but now I've got some time to chase it down. Hopefully it can be fixed. Got a second email from BBI asking what noise it's making. They acknowledged that they've received "very isolated incidents" of their bars with noise issues. Will wait to see if they can offer any advice.

Mine is every few seconds. I would guess the bar moves at the joints right behind the seats to make the pinging noise.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:07 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

My Bbi bar for cayman does that once in a while. I always figured it’s just NVH from the shock tower. I guess not. Not sure if it’s related.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:31 AM
Mthrice
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the GMG RSR. Have heard a sound from it maybe 3 times in 6 months.

Quick Reply: Best roll cage for GT3 991.2